Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you folks use to lubricate a new holster that's compatible with the XD finish? Responses pertaining to both leather and kydex would be appreciated.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just use old fashioned non-ecofriendly silicone spray lube in my kydex holsters. It won't harm plastics or metals, and it lasts a good long time. Don't use the eco-friendly silicone sprays - they don't work well at all IMO.

For my one leather holster I haven't had to use any lube at all. If I ever do, I'll try the silicone spray. Another option would be leather saddle soap or baseball mitt oil, both of which would be certain to be safe on the inside of your holster.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do not understand why would you have to lube a kydex holster this is the first time that I have heard this could someone fill me in

thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 for the Armor All on Kydex holsters. However, I would never put anyting on leather. It a leather holster is too tight, put the pistol in a sock and let it sit over night in the holster. It will stretch it just enough to have a snug but workable fit.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
"Holster Lube" :shock: sounds kinky

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
therooster said:
lube a holster? never heard of such a thing.... why would you do it?
A lot of new Kydex holsters' retain too well and you need to give it a shot of something (like Armor All) until it breaks in a bit. I was just curious what "normal, household products" people might use that someone such as myself wouldn't have considered.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
MeanStreaker said:
therooster said:
lube a holster? never heard of such a thing.... why would you do it?
A lot of new Kydex holsters' retain too well and you need to give it a shot of something (like Armor All) until it breaks in a bit.
really?... i have never had that problem, not to say that it would never happen. if a Kydex holster was to tight for me i just loosened the tension screws.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I don't want to paint with a broad brush, however, the "budget" holsters are tighter and offer than adjustments than the higher-end units.

As an example, FOBUS holsters are much tighter and less flexible than a Blade-Tech of C-TAC holster.

If you want to protect the finish on your firearms, invest in a quality rig. That said, all finishes will wear with repeated drawing and holstering.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
For my leather Holster I use the stuff my Galco holster came with. It is supposed to clean preserve and protect without clogging the pores of the leather (sounds like a acne cream) I have never put any chemical of any kind on the inside of my leather holster other that some residual gun oil rubbing off the slide. As far as kydex goes, when I notice it has gotten dusty from sittng around, Warm water and mild soap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My XD Gear holster needs some Armor-All. Even with the retention screw removed it's still really tough to draw.

·
Registered
224 Posts
another vote for Armor-All! My very first holster was a Fobus (which sucked). It was amazing how much of a difference a light coat of Armor-All made to the innside of the holster. It was a lot smoother on the draw. I've since used it on both my Comp-Tac and Blackhawk holsters with great success.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Finish-Wise, what do you guys find is a good "middle ground" between protection of the slide and wear resistance?

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
This isn't lube but a leather protector. I use Neatsfoot Oil. It restores and protects smooth leather. I've used it on my baseball gloves back when I was little. I recently used it on a sling for a PSL. It might Darken Colored leather somewhat so think about what you're putting it on. Test a tiny spot before you coat the whole thing. And that's my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts