Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Long time lurker on this forum, first post.

Here's the issue. I have carried for over 15 years now and have never had a holster problem before. For the last few years, inside pant, I have carried a glock 19 or 27, in an MTAC. It has been absolutely flawless. OWB, i carry in a galco or desantis, again, flawless.

I recently purchased a .45 comp tac. First, I bought another MTAC. Upon receipt, I found that when holstered, I could not draw the weapon. Long story short, I sent it back and they said the retention indent was manufactured too deep and fixed it for me. Works flawlessly now. Overall, I am happy they fixed it. I did not like the fact that they said if i wanted to return it they would charge me a restock fee. How could they charge me if I return it within a week due to their manufacturing defect??? Comp Tac lost some major points with me.

While the MTAC was in for repairs though, I bought a cross breed super tuck. Again, upon receipt, I found the weapon would not draw. It seemed as if the cross section in the tack rail was catching the kydex sleeve. Frustrated now, I sent it back with an explanation of what was going on, and Mark re-molded the holster and it works flawlessly now. Thanks Mark, and thanks for fixing the clip I screwed up trying to remold the sleeve.

So, finally I purchase a leather Galco Siloette(sp?) for OWB, and it won't freakin draw!!!! Same problem, the cross sections (grooves) in the tack rail get caught on the leather during draw. WTF? Am I the only one having these issues.

I question how I can be the only one having these problems and have problems with 3 different holsters and the same type of issue with two of them? Sorry for the rant, but want to know if this is common and if not, at least inform people to watch out for this issue. Looking forward to hearing other experiences and holster recommendations for a leather OWB.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Never heard of such... Regularly carry a XD 45 Service in a Supertuck without a problem, based on a clock, where are you carrying it? that may be part of the issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried different positions to see if that was the problem. I carry at 3-4 depending on where belt loops are on pants. Admittedly, if the holster is at 3 and the draw is perfectly straight up - it will draw. That is not reality though. I want my weapon to draw from any angle, under any stress/situation.

Am I correct in that the frames of all the .45's the same size? Actually, aren't all the frames, even the .40 and 9mil the same?

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Supposedly the .40 and .45 have the same size but my .45 is thicker than the .40 and the 9mm is smaller and thinner than either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I guess for holster purposes most manufacturers are saying the holsters are interchangable with a 40 and .45. Not sure about the 9. I'm trying to narrow the issue down. If the frames are not the same size (as in length) and the holsters are being used interchanged, that may be the problem.

On the Galco for example, I have about an inch of the frame/tac rail exposed below the slide material of the holster. As I draw, the tac rail groves catch the leather on the bottom of the holster slide and lock the weapon up. If there was more material on the holster which completel covered the tac rail, this would not occur. Is my luck so bad that I am the only one this has happened to - repeatedly? :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
And the Crossbreed should fit all XDs

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Perfect fit and no worries at all. Might be something with your particular gun...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - the cross breed fits fine now and the issue has been resolved. Questions is, what leather outside waiste works? I went to store last night and checked out a few desantis holsters. Same problem. Leather slide holsters all seem to be cut too short on the frame and catch the tac rail. Maybe that's what we get when manufacturers try to make one size fits all.

To be fair, I purchased a blade tech for use when light is attached to rail and a serpa - both work great. I just like leather holsters better and am trying to find one that at least covers the frame, if not the entire weapon.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Tried different positions to see if that was the problem. I carry at 3-4 depending on where belt loops are on pants. Admittedly, if the holster is at 3 and the draw is perfectly straight up - it will draw. That is not reality though. I want my weapon to draw from any angle, under any stress/situation.

Am I correct in that the frames of all the .45's the same size? Actually, aren't all the frames, even the .40 and 9mil the same?
All the XD frames and slides are the same width even the 45s vs Sub-Compacts. LowLife and I have provided numerous examples of this, those that disagree never offer any proof at all.
As to the restocking charge, that's pretty normal on the web IF there is nothing wrong with the holster. Odd that you were having the same trouble over and over, do you like the holster really tight or something? You COULD carve a bevel in the bottom of that Galco ( on the inside of course ) with an X-acto knife to keep the notches from catching, but you shouldn't have to with a new holster.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I had similar problem with my MTAC half shell and my Ruger P89. I had to nearly release all the tension screws on the trigger side. That particular gun carried strong side left, wore the holster a bit as well. It didn' help that the alum textured frame was like sand paper on the kydex and on the stitching inside. I since have sold my old friend and now XD's are all I carry in the MTAC.

You may try some silcone boot spray on the leather and kydex half after a good break in you won't have to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Kaboom,

Just to clarify - i'm not having problems with the width of the weapon, it's the frame length and the tac rail. DO you know the length of the frame on the different models of 45? Are they all the same?

I understand a re-stocking charge if you return an item because you changed your mind. With Comp tac however, they admitted a manufacturing defect and were going to charge me to return it anyway. While disappointed in that position, they have cured the problem and I am satisfied with the outcome.

The Galco holster I am currently having the problem with has no retention adjustment. None of the problems I have had have to do with a tight fit - it's all about as the weapon is coming out of the holster, the tac rail groves catch the bottom of the holster and stop be from being able to completely draw it out of the holster. I have not decided whether I want to keep it and attempt to modify or return it and just use the kydex holsters that work. For an 80 dollar piece of leather - it should work. Further, for concealability, and pulling the weapon snug to me, I prefer the leather.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Yes - the cross breed fits fine now and the issue has been resolved. Questions is, what leather outside waiste works? I went to store last night and checked out a few desantis holsters. Same problem. Leather slide holsters all seem to be cut too short on the frame and catch the tac rail. Maybe that's what we get when manufacturers try to make one size fits all.

To be fair, I purchased a blade tech for use when light is attached to rail and a serpa - both work great. I just like leather holsters better and am trying to find one that at least covers the frame, if not the entire weapon.
Try the Crossbreed Snapslide for OWB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts