Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help in choosing a new holster. I cannot decide whether I want to carry IWB or OWB. My biggest concern is comfort.

I have an XD9 4" service model. The main function of this holster will be for days when I will be wearing jeans and khakis. I am 6'1 around 250. somewhat of a gut.

My biggest concern is comfort (along with concealment obviously). I'm worried that a IWB will be uncomfortable and I really don't want to change my wardrobe. On the other hand, I'm worried that a OWB will not conceal enough.

I currently have a Smartcarry for the days I'm wearing shorts and sweats. It's comfortable, but a bit cumbersome and I don't like the way it fits and feels with jeans (or anything else other than shorts/sweats for that matter). I currently have an LCP that I carry a lot for the times I don't feel like using the Smartcarry holster or it is too hot out. I have the LCP which is nice for its intended purpose, but most of the time I like having the XD.

Holster shopping is a real pain in the arse. I went through 2 Uncle Mike's before getting the Smartcarry. I want this holster to be my last holster purchase for this particular gun. Willing to spend up to $150.

Thanks for your time in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Michigan, and I was lucky enough to work with Tony at Multi Holsters (Quality Custom KYDEX Gun Holsters for Inside, Outside, Multi 2-in-1 Inside/Outside Waistband, Pocket & Mag Holders - Multi Holsters) out of Plymouth, MI. Tony custom makes Kydex holsters to your specifications. I'm a lefty which made it difficult to find an over the counter/internet product that I liked. Most lefty products were not available or on backorder. Since I live close to Tony, I was actually able to take my XD9 for a custom fit, but he has the blanks for virtually any handgun out there. He will work with you concerning fit, coverage, retention, etc. I got an IWB, behind the left hip with 15 degree cant and I LOVE it! Prices are right too! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am 6" 1'and about 250 also..I have a xd service. after quite a few holsters I have found the the Bianchi carry lock sits REAL high and is almost 100% concealed at the 4to 5 o clock position.
it is OWB

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a lighty used K&D Dakota Defender for sale. It is a excellent holster, unfortunatley I recently sold my XD 40. Search the forum, there are a few reviews.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Can be a very personal choice, but for the budget you have you can get a couple really nice ones, or a nice one and a good belt, or even a few moderately priced holsters to have some options.
I followed the crowd and got a CBST, have to say it is very comfortable. I have never really tried any other IWB, but I also do not plan on it either. Very satisfied with my purchase and will probably get another if I happen to get a different carry gun in the future. Luckily it works for me, and if it isn't broken there is no need to fix it.
Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments and help guys. I narrowed it down to the following three companies: Brigade, Kramer and Crossbreed. After careful consideration I chose the Crossbreed Super.

It's not as pretty as the Kramer or the Brigade M-11, but honestly a majority of the decision came down to wait time. I don't want to wait six months to get the holster.

I have read some pretty good reviews about the crossbreed. I hope that it works well and is as comfortable as they say it is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think Crossbreed must be getting on top of their backlog. I ordered mine on 7/13 and it is delivering today.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
rockymax,

Let me know if I can help, I just saw this message. I am working on some XD holsters this month and will work extra on saturday and sundays to try and fit yours in. All forum members get free shipping.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
^ Man, if I carried IWB, your holster would be mine. I had a TT Gunleather which is a very high quality IWB holster, but your's looks nicer. I love the enclosed muzzle and the leather has kind of a deep look to it.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
^ Man, if I carried IWB, your holster would be mine. I had a TT Gunleather which is a very high quality IWB holster, but your's looks nicer. I love the enclosed muzzle and the leather has kind of a deep look to it.
Thanks... I have been at this for 16 years now and I build leather holsters in a way that is probably different than most. You learn a lot in that many years. I use almost no leather dye and zero "coatings". Wax, oil, a few secret tricks, lots of water and plenty of time, pissed off waiting customers and lastly some elbow grease. I started out doing saddles the old fashion way and that is why I don't take shortcuts. There are so many ways to build holsters and most of them I have done and very few ways are correct IMO. Anyway 16 years later I know my way around. Locally, I am better know for my custom 1911 pistols rather than my leather, I build, about 15 custom 1911 per year. I focus mostly on holsters during the year.

Here is a recent OWB I did that includes a special lining that isn't from a cow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered one of these too. I can't wait. These have to be some of the best looking holsters out there. Thanks again Troy!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm on a spending freeze until next year but plan on picking up a cz 75b fullsize. I'll be coming to you for a holster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts