Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get a holster (preferably IWB) that will fit my XDM-40 with a TLR-2 attached? I have been to several manufacture’s web sites with no luck and I have searched the forums here for an answer but all I could find was a post where someone hade one custom made by BladeTech.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/76926-xdm-laser-options-4.html

I’m assuming that a holster made for an XD will not fit an XDM properly due to the different slide profile. If the only way is to have one custom made, where would be the best place to go for that?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, I saw plenty of IWB holsters for the XD-40 that can accommodate the TLR-2. Now all I have to do is pick one, but there are plenty of threads on this forum about that so I have plenty of material to go over before making a decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Galco has a great line of leather holsters for the XDM. They're a little pricey but they're first rate quality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion about Galco. I went to Galco’s website but I only saw 3 or so holsters for the XDM. They were nice but none of them looked like they could accommodate the TLR-2. I also would like an IWB holster as I want to keep it concealed and unless its cold out I don’t wear a jacket or anything, just a t-shirt.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
For the life of me I can't think of why you would want an IWB holster with the TLR-2 attached. I don't see how that would be comfortable, or what the practical application would be. The TLR-2 takes about 5 sec to remove. I take mine off every morning before I slip my XD into my CrossBreed SuperTuck. It's a very comfortable CC holster, and as far as IWB holsters go, I've tried a few and that's the most comfortable. If you're looking for an IWB holster, I would rethink the necessity of carrying with the TLR-2 attached, since I think you would be hard-pressed to find an IWB that would also accomidate the TLR-2. As for OWB, the standard included XD Gear holster can carry the light on the accessory rail, but wouldn't be able to carry with the light attached to your XD. Just my $.02

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the life of me I can't think of why you would want an IWB holster with the TLR-2 attached. I don't see how that would be comfortable, or what the practical application would be.

I work night shift in a medical supply warehouse that carries, among other things, some narcotics and pretty much all the chemicals and equipment needed to cook meth. To make matters worse, there is this low-rent apartment complex right next door that is very well known for drug envolvment. They also have a tendancy to get into any vehicle in our parking lot that isn't locked. I even had to call 911 not to long ago because one of the guys in the apartments was stoned and/or drunk and was trying to start a fight with some of our guys. Cops had to come and get him.

I often find myself locking up and leaving alone at 2-3 am and I'd like to have a light on my sidearm so if someone runs up to me I can tell if it's one of my guys broken down at the base of the hill or someone that means to do me harm. I'd like it to be concealable because I don't want to let anyone meaning to do me harm know that I have until I really need it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I often find myself locking up and leaving alone at 2-3 am and I'd like to have a light on my sidearm so if someone runs up to me I can tell if it's one of my guys broken down at the base of the hill or someone that means to do me harm. I'd like it to be concealable because I don't want to let anyone meaning to do me harm know that I have until I really need it.
Not to say that you shouldn't find a holster that can take the tactical light you want, but I want to warn you against doing what you mention above.

The light mounted to your firearm should never be used to identify a target, only to light up a known target. In the above scenario, if it is "one of your guys" you just flagged them with your pistol and that is a MAJOR no-no.

Don't point your pistol at anything you do not wish to destroy.

The proper method is to carry a second smaller flashlight such as a surefire or similar and use that light to identify the target before you shine your weapon light on them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here is what you need to start doing. Get you a really good LED light. Pratice drawing your weapon and pulling your light out of a side holster/soft case. You now can see what is in front of you, and with the easy push of a button you have light. The TLR-2 will have to be activated by your opposite hand or finger. Trust me, I have a TLR-2 that stays on a gun here at the house and the only holster that I could find that was comfy is a soft sided OWB holster. The TLR-2 is just to big to have in a IWB. There are also allot of lights that you can get from a Gun Store or show that has a strobe effect. That will stop any High person in there tracks.....:lol:.....!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So there is really no point in having a gun mounted light since I'll need a different light anyway and anything the gun light could do the other light, which will have to be in my other hand and on anyway, could do just as well.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
As I do have a few rail mounted flashlights I would only use them on my own property where I was very familaur with my own home and or property.Besides if the bad guy was lying in wait would that flash light make a nice target?
As far as a leather IWB holster our XD Tactical fit the XDM very well and we do have them in stock.
Thank you
Larry

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Besides if the bad guy was lying in wait would that flash light make a nice target?
Larry

A normal flashlight would, but not the TLR-2.

Since the tac light would be on the gun it would not be on unless I was aware of the threat and had drawn my pistol. So if he is lying in wait I wouldn't know he was there and therefor would not have the pistol/light out and on. The TLR-2 also has a pressure switch so you can turn it on just long enough to see, and temporarily blind, whoever it is you need to see then let go of the switch and turn it off.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Now that I know why you want to have a holster that can accompany a light, I have to agree with Cogz. If you're looking for an inexpensive solution, go with a Surefire G2. If you can afford to shell out a little more, go with the G2Z. Then practice for a tactical situation with the light in your off hand, gripped between your index and middle fingers (If you go with the G2Z, there is an integrated grip to make this type of hold more comfortable). It takes some getting used to, but it's a more practical solution than what you're attempting to accomplish. Then you can carry your XD on your strong side, your flashlight holster on your off-hand side, and draw simultaneously.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I guess I’ll return the TLR-2 and get a good little flashlight/w holster, to tell the truth the TLR-2 seemed like overkill (no pun intended) from the beginning. Thanks for all the info on the subject. I really appreciate it. Now back to my gun holster.

I’ve been looking for a IWB holster for some time now and I have found several that look promising but I would like to run my preferences by you guys and see what you suggest. Also since I have no experience with holsters IWB or otherwise I built these preferences based on what I have read so feel free to question them and make suggestions.

Here is what I would like:

IWB
Leather (not dead set against kydex though)
Easily removed (don’t need to remove belt to get the thing off)
Snaps only, no metal clips ( I have a car with bucket leather seats) 8)
Has to fit an XDM 40 (duh):rolleyes:
Under $100

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Galco has a great line of leather holsters for the XDM. They're a little pricey but they're first rate quality.
I dont mean to get off topic but I bought a Galco FLETCH made for the 4 inch service and it works well for my XDM. The barrel just pokes out a tad but the fit is perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The TLR lights are great to have if your XD doubles as a night stand gun. You might want to hold on to it for things that go bump in the night.

As for a IWB holster, all XD's have the same frame dimensions, so a holster for the 9mm service will also fit the .45 service, and vice-verse. Just look for an XD holster for the barrel length of yours. From all appearances the frame/slide profile forward of the trigger is nearly identical to an XD, so I would be surprised if a standard SD holster wouldn't accomidate the XDM. For an IWB holster, comfort is of course more important than how it looks. I have tried a few in the past and like the CrossBreed SuperTuck. It uses a large slab of leather with a formed piece of kydex. It secures to the belt via kydex loops or hooks, whichever you prefer. The holster is also can be adjusted for height/cant. Check them out at CrossBreed Holsters, or go to Rig Rate to find other options.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The TLR lights are great to have if your XD doubles as a night stand gun. You might want to hold on to it for things that go bump in the night.
There are other people in the house so waving a loaded gun around there would be just as dangerous if not more so than doing so at work.

It secures to the belt via kydex loops or hooks...
The hooks looked like metal in the pics, Do you think are they rigid enough to scratch leather seats?

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The hooks looked like metal in the pics, Do you think are they rigid enough to scratch leather seats?
The hooks are Kydex, though I prefer the loops. If you use the hooks, make sure you have a very sturdy belt or the hooks may not want to stay in place when drawing. The edges of the hooks/loops aren't very smooth, but they could be smoothed down with fine-grit paper or a Dremel tool. If you go with anything made by CrossBreed, be prepared to wait a while, as they custom-make every order. It's about a 6 week wait time. While I was waiting for mine, I just used a cheap Uncle Mike's universal IWB clip holster. It served its purpose. I would add that the nice thing about the SuperTuck is the Kydex mold that holds the pistol in place can be used to accomidate any size XD. If I get the time I'll try and post pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts