Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
warning this is a slightly long post

i'm 21 and reside in CA (bay area), 2 wks ago my apt was broken into during the day, burglars had about 6 hours to ransack w/out interruption. they made off w/ dvd player, ps2, and $3,000 in cash. I found my shotgun outside near the bushes. I assume they were coming back to get it, since they were probably on foot. what worries me is that i kept that shotgun loaded and unlocked near my bed. What if i walked in on them? (never keep shotgun unlocked again less im using it)
i believe they'll return again, just not sure if it's goin to be a burglary or an invasion. after this incident i bought a XD-9 (receive in 2 wks), im considering wearing it around the house, and then keeping it in my car when i leave, and then reholstering before i walk thru my doors. kinda sucks, but its very inconvienent to move at least until summer. i wear sweatpants around the apartment, so what holster would best suit my needs. Would wearing a belt w/ sweatpants work? (else i'd have to wear khakis or jeans around the house)
i did a search and found two holsters that seem reliable, havent really had a chance to look at them in person yet,
Bladetech w/ teklok $50 & Blackhawk XD holster for $30 (get the sentra lock ?)
this is my first handgun so im entirely new to this scene & i dont know ne1 else who has a handgun.

any suggestions for holsters or on helping my predicament would be appreciated
thanks

(btw i was planning on buying a lot of used car parts in cash, (junkyards etc, axles, crossmembers, thats why i had so much cash)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Really don't think it's necessary to carry in the home if you do because of the area I would be moveing, but that may not be a option for you anyway I personally carry my ccw whenever I leave the house except work (they got this crappy policy for weapons on property) so when I come in on somebody I don't have my head in my, you know
I also have several types of home defense avail to my wife and son when I am at work and have taught them how to respond to a threat.
But inside the home you will usually have some bit of time to get to a area where a defensive piece can be utilized if necessary (beside my chair)
There are lots of posts on weapons in the home, run a search and remember " Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If you want to cuntinue to wear sweat pants around the house then a cheap shoulder holster may be an option. You coud just lay your pistola down on the coffee table in front of you though while watching Tv.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was going to suggest the shoulder holster idea, also. I saw one for 10 dollars, i think it was linked somewhere on this site.

As to this comment.
"Really don't think it's necessary to carry in the home"

I would agree if you lived in a house, with a yard, and a dog.

Though in apartment, people are walking by all the time. So you really have no warning if one of those people had plans for your place. That is why i would suggest the shoulder holster. Of course you could get a dog that barked at everyone who walked by outside you door, but i would rather have a quiet dog and a loud gun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the first holster i ever purchased was one from a company called thunderwear.com i didn't want to spend the money for a nice leather holster yet, so i got one. the name sounds kinda silly, but it may be what you are looking for. pretty darn comfortable, with an easy quick draw. i wear it when i walk the dog around the neighborhood in my shorts or sweats, & easy to drive with for a quick trip to the local corner store. if you get one, don't let them talk you into paying for a rush delivery. i declined the rush delivery, & still got it in 2 days. good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i can not wear a belt holster w/ sweatpants around the house?

the inconvience with the shoulder holster is that i can't really walk to my carport w/ that on. i dont always wear a jacket.

i could wear a cheap shoulder holster around the apartment. and then switch it to a paddle holster for the walk to my carport. and then switch back to shoulder holster when i come home.

ne1 find out which is better blackhawk xd holster or the blade tech?

thanks for all the suggestions

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Consider the shoulder holster...if you are intent upon switching holsters to go outside, it may be just as easy to throw on a hawiian style shirt to cover it up...and you get to feel a little "Miami Vice" at the same time. 8)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
You are in the Bay Area bro. You are not likely to get a CCW unless you grease the local sherrif with some serious contributions...

Open carry inside your dwelling is OK, but once you leave the house your firearms have to be locked for transport. If you are worried about the perps returning, you should move. Sounds like a crappy neighborhood. If you carry outside your dwelling because you expect to get robbed, you will be breaking the law if you use your firearm to protect yourself. I know it's not fair, but that's the law. Inside your house you can blast away, but you still have to prove preclusion. That is, you must prove you had no other option...could not run, talk your way out of it, or back off, you had to shoot.

BTW, congrats on the XD9 purchase, it's a damn fine pistol!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have to agree with Norway on this one. I live in Oklahoma now ( which is like moving to disneyland if your a gun lover from Cali), but was born and raised in California. My oldest brother did serious prison time for carrying a loaded handgun out there. He ended up in a situation where he was fired upon and then pulled and returned fire. Neither was hit. The other guy was the bad guy in the situation but my brother was still locked away on a host of gun charges. Don't take the chance of going down the same road. Naturally you don't ever carry a gun if you don't fully intend to use it should the situation dictate it, and if you ever find yourself in that situation such as he did, you'll be truely screwed deep and hard. He can't even own a gun now and all he did was defend himself. Pretty shitty, but he knew the risk. Now as far as Carrying in the house, if you need to do that to feel safe then that is your right (one of the few rights you have out there unfortunately). As for me, my home is my sanctuary. I know there are bad guys out there because I deal with them every day at work and am occasionally personally threatened by them, but I absolutely refuse to live in fear in my own home. Yes I keep my sidearm close by while at home, just not on my person. That is me though and I don't expect everyone to share my opinions. I advise you to do whatever it takes to feel safe, as long as it doesn't break the law and land you in the pen with all the nut jobs you were trying to protect yourself from to begin with. Sorry for the long post. Oh yeah, for your situation around the house I recommend the thunderwear also. It'd probably be the easiest with sweat pants and less constrictive than a shoulder rig. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts