Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry if this question has been asked but I was wondering what you guys would recommend for backpacking. Something comfortable that could possibly clip to my hip-strap perhaps? Anything you guys can recommend would be much appreciative. Thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
It depends on what you're packing. If you're packing a large revolver for survival needs I'd recommend a bandoleer holster they may look kinda funky but I think they'd be the least obtrusive holster that can be carried comfortably. Even most hip holsters seem like they'd get in the way of the pack and make it rather uncomfortable.

A "tactical" thigh holster would probably serve your purposes well, or you could always find a nice durable nylon type holser and secure it to your pack. Chances are unless you're hiking through a bad part of town or something you won't need the gun at a moments notice.

Krackels

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I found a Bianchi M12 holster. . . These are good holsters with excellent retention and protection from the environment and they can be adapted to be worn on the hip, below the hip, on a vest or on a sholder harness. The M12 holster can will fit autos up to a 5" barrel and revolvers up to a 4" barrel.

Link to item.

Krackels

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking at the G-CODE REAC Ready Tactical Holster because it will keep it low and below my hip strap, the only problem being it doesn't latch and could potentially be a problem. Do you know of any that are simliar to this model that have a latch (also around the same price range). Again, thanks for all the help. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
The G-Code holsters really need an assertive tug to get a gun out of the holster. I have a paddle version. I wouldn't worry about it being a problem from falling out or snagging something. It really needs a straight pull to take it out and the trigger guard kinda "snaps" into place.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a fairly basic thigh holster from Cabellas for about $35 shipped. I like it a lot, especially for backpacking and moving around in the woods. It does tug a bit on my belt, and makes me look like a terrorist, but the pros outweigh the cons. It also holds a spare magazine. There is a sturdy snap that goes over the back of the slide to hold it in place. the snap can be flipped off one handed.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
http://www.aspitactical.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=71015
Check this holster out, cant beat it for the price, I bougt one and Im very happy with it. Its also treated with teflon to resist stains and ease cleanup.
Mine has great retention and even has a velcro strap that locks the quick release thrumb break or folds out of the way if need be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ichy_trigger said:
Check this holster out, cant beat it for the price, I bougt one and Im very happy with it. Its also treated with teflon to resist stains and ease cleanup.
Mine has great retention and even has a velcro strap that locks the quick release thrumb break or folds out of the way if need be.
Wow, looks good. I don't like the pictures on the site though. Is it possible to snap a few pics of yours and send them my way? Also, does it bounce on your leg much, or does it feel pretty sturdy? Thanks. Also, thanks for the reply on the G-CODE retention, maybe in a few months when I save up some more cash I'll pick one up. Appreciate all the help :) Keep it coming!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I go either tactical on the thigh or a shoulder holster. Having the weight on the hip while doing a ton of hiking can be a pain, literally from the weight.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
xd.eric said:
ichy_trigger said:
Wow, looks good. I don't like the pictures on the site though. Is it possible to snap a few pics of yours and send them my way? Also, does it bounce on your leg much, or does it feel pretty sturdy? Thanks. Also, thanks for the reply on the G-CODE retention, maybe in a few months when I save up some more cash I'll pick one up. Appreciate all the help :) Keep it coming!
I will get some pics of it up on here tonight, It will have a Sig in it though, my only XD is a sub :p

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ok, heres the pics I promised, I prefer only using (1) thigh strap so I removed one.

Notice that in the one picture you can see the snap on the retension strap, the other pic has the velcro lock strap covering it. I like this feature because you cant accidently unsnap the retension device while climbing or what not.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you really like the G-Code you might be able to find one on ebay like me. Got mine for $15!!!(it was a southpaw tho) And then you can just buy the accessories from gunnersally.com. hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the pics.. Looks nice.. I think I'm gonna have to pick one up for myself :D Does it bounce much on your leg, or is it pretty firm? Thanks, as always.

[Edit] Also, it fits the Service Model right? Or is it for the 5in tact?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Its a universal fit, and no it does not move around on my leg at all. You can adjust the straps as tightly or as loosely as you woud like.

·
Registered
79 Posts
for your .22 plinker and a brick,
or your .357 and its .357 and .38 spec. ammo
and your winchester lever
and your 12 ga. and ammo and all the cleaning accessories
and a sandwich or three
www.sherpacart.com
i got one and like it alot!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another vote for The Wilderness Safepacker. I bought one a few weeks ago and have been hiking with it (and my XD40) a few times in the mountains around here. Works just as advertised. I have not gotten one weird look while on the trail as it just looks like any cordura nylon type accessory pouch common to backpacking. It workes equally well on my CCW belt or on the hipbelt of my backpack. I think its a great buy for the money...plus allows for a failry fast draw from concealment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use a Blackhawk thigh holster. Found I can do just about anything from Army training to search & rescue to personal hiking & backpacking with it in comfort.

·
Registered
182 Posts
InspectorNugger said:
Another vote for The Wilderness Safepacker. I bought one a few weeks ago and have been hiking with it (and my XD40) a few times in the mountains around here. Works just as advertised. I have not gotten one weird look while on the trail as it just looks like any cordura nylon type accessory pouch common to backpacking. It workes equally well on my CCW belt or on the hipbelt of my backpack. I think its a great buy for the money...plus allows for a failry fast draw from concealment.
agree totally. i love mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts