Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several threads about what type of Xd would be good for concealed while hiking. I have been considering buying one of these,or similar, to wear on my pistol belt. I usually stay out for days, so I carry canteens, buttpack, etc. already, but never carried a weapon besides my Kabar.
Would something like this be a dumb idea? It would protect the Xd from the elements and brush.(Overkill clearing bushes left scratches) and could be worn right where it can be grabbed if needed. Instead of in a pocket. Being caught miles from the nearest road, and meeting up with some lunatic would be bad.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/t...query.ctx=um842&backto=/agcatalog/results.tam

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I dont remember the link but i would think that the rectangular soft-lunch-box-looking thing would be the way to go with something like that. Its like a rectangular bag with your gun and a mag or two that you can yank open and grab the gun.

Personally, I would use a thigh rig as I prefer it but it is evident that would not be the best choice for your particular situation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My first question really would be do you really want to carry a gun while hiking? Depends to an extent on where you hike, I would guess, but here's something I found after doing a quick search for "crime on the Appalachian trail".

Since the 1970s, an estimated 3 to 4 million people a year have been on the Appalachian Trail somewhere for some length of time—so, in the last 30 years, that would be 90 to 120 million visits. In that time, seven A.T. hikers have been murdered in five incidents, the last occurring in 1990.

In all cases, the killers were caught and arrested by local and/or federal authorities (USDA Forest Service or National Park Service) within a relatively short period of time and convicted.

In other words, experience indicates a visitor to the A.T. has a one-in-13-to-17-million chance of meeting a violent death. The risks are far higher for a fatal traffic accident en route to the Trail.
Protecting yourself from potentially dangerous animals is a different sort of animal, but do you really want to carry an extra 2-3 pounds of weight on the off chance some lunatic comes along?

I'm all for carrying a firearm to protect yourself, but there is both an inconvenience and a responsibility associated with carrying, and to me its only logical to factor the extra weight and responsiblity into the equation.

That being said, the holster looks like a good option if you want to do it.

Scott

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like the gunshow specials that have the spare magazine pouch sewn on the front of the holster. These usually cost around 20 bucks, the quality will vary from mfg to mfg. Uncle Mikes make their own version, these seem a little better overall quality than most.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the wilderness safepacker and love it. hcek i carry it sometimes on hot days around town. it doesn't win fashion awards, but it is functional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts