Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a fairly large feller at 6'1 and 300 lbs and I have a 48 inch waist.

I just picked up an XD40 SC in a trade and I am seriously thinking of making this my CCW weapon.

I need a holster... but please... no IWB holsters.

When youre as big around as I am IWB holsters are UNCOMFORTABLE at best.

Can anyone suggest the right holster for a guy my size?

I tried the kydex paddle holsters on at the store... comfortable for sure but they stick out and print pretty badly.

I have a holster by Ross Leather for my G19 (doesnt fit the xd... tried) that is VERY comfortable, but my local shop no longer carries Ross Leather. They have gone strictly Galco (and Galco is expensive stuff)

I need a nice, close, tight fit to the body. I dont care if it has a thumb break or not... either is fine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just a heads up, you double posted. :)

I've got a bit of "overhang" myself, and find the Don Hume holsters to be very comfortable, especially the "open top" has a belly flap that keeps the slide from riding into you side (just the leather against your side). Looks like Pistol-Gear has one for the SC, but I have the service:
http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=30XDL

They have another version that's got a thumb break as well.

Matthew

·
Registered
580 Posts
bear-b...you NEED a gun??? :) you're a pretty big dude...i'm not sure i'd mess with ya...but then discretion being the better part of valor, and all.

i kinda pirated this site from someone, here...but it's probably the MOST comprehensive holster site i've ever seen. i'm sure some names are missing, but there are more than enough here to keep you occupied.

http://www.wmporter.com/xd/holsters.htm

good luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would find a place online to get the Ross Leather holster. If you cannot find one, let me know and I will give you the number of my local place and they can drop ship it to you. i am wearing my Ross leather holster right now for my XD service and it is by far my favorite holster. SO that is why I say stick with what you know already fits you. And i too am a big guy at 6'4" and 300lbs, so i know all about your troubles. the ross leather one makes it so I can hardly tell I even have it on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi,

I'm a rather robust kinda guy too! 5' 11" 265# 46" waist. I use this holster http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H710 for my S&W 3913. The llittle Smith is my primary carry gun. Great service from Gunner's Alley too!

BTW, I agree with you about being big and using an IWB.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Damn, you look like my twin.
I thought that IWBs would be pretty uncomforable too but tried a Don Hume clip on that works very well from www.pistol-gear.com . It sits low so doesn't dig in.
I also changed my wardrobe a bit after I found Dockers flex more than jeans and make carrying iwb more comfortable.

H

·
Registered
398 Posts
What about an ankle rig? I have not seen one for an XD sub (certainly somebody makes one) but I have one (fobus) for my Glock 30 which is pretty chunky and it works great!
The reason I went this route is because I am not exactly a small guy myself and I spend a lot of time on our highways. An ankle setup is the easiest for me to access when behind the wheel short of having it loose in my lap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You and I are about the same size, i'm just shorter! Anyway, I carry my XD in a Predator IWB holster and have no complaints.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Inside the wast band..I believe

·
Registered
181 Posts
You think Galco is expensive stuff? I don't find the prices them-self expensive, just that prices are too high for the mediocre quality Galco gives you.

I've been given a few Galco holsters. The sharp edge of my XD's ejection port hangs up too much when trying to draw from the Galco Fletch and the Galco Undercover for my SIG P225 lost it's shape and retension holding ability too fast. The Undercover would conceal well enough under a cover garment but I'd be worried about my SIG falling out. Maybe the sharp edge of the XD's ejection port would hold the gun in the Undercover.

Don Hume is much less expensive and the price is more in line with the quality. The Hume Open Top would probably work well for you if your cover garment is long enough plus it's $33 less than the Galco Undercover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts