Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
For a while I've been contemplating going to a red dot type sight with a scope type reticle. I looked at these last year but reviews seemed to be hit and miss. Over the last few months people have seemed to be having better experiences so Wednesday I ordered one from Primary Arms. It showed up this morning.

I've had experience with the ACSS reticle in an ACOG and this was a no brainer for me. I'm a huge fan of the 0 MOA chevron and the BDC dots are nice in case you want to stretch it out. I don't personally like shooting a 4 MOA dot out to 100 and further.

Initial pros:
I've paired it with a Vortex 3x magnifier and my initial impressions are very positive. Sight seems well built and the controls are easy to operate. Nice choice in brightness settings and the auto on/off is a solid touch. I like that you don't need tools to adjust it as the turret caps invert and act as the windage/elevation adjustment tools. 50 thousand hour battery life is also a nice feature. It's really light at under 5 ounces. Behind the magnifier the reticle is crisp and the BDC dots (which are 2 MOA) are clearly visible. The reticle is surrounded by a 65 MOA horseshoe alà eotech.

Initial cons:
Without the magnifier the reticle isn't the clearest thing ever. It's not bad but the bottom 2 BDC dots bled together at times. The lower 1/3 mount. Everything I've read laments the mount as less than stellar. At a 220 dollar price point a quality mount is going to cost 75ish bucks and up. I don't think Holosun has changed the mount but seeing as how most people are swapping it out why not cut the price 20 or 30 bucks and not include it. After adding a mount it's gonna be a 330 to 375 total expenditure. Not sure I'd call 350 bucks a "budget" optic.

So out of the box is it an Aimpoint? Nah but for 226 shipped plus a mount if I've got to add one it seems good so far. The reticle makes it for me. I'm gonna hit the range tonight or tomorrow and zero it. I'll update this as I go. In 2 weeks I'm giving my building clearing class and I plan on using it for that.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What purpose does this rifle serve in your lineup? Just curious as this is the next red dot I am getting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna teach some classes with it. Could totally use it for home defense as well.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Settled on Geissele mounts. Bought and absolute and lower 1/3. One will go on this Holosun and the other on my T1. I bought and returned an ADM quick detach mount. I don't personally care for QD mounts for optics. I'm running a set of offset Big Dot night sights so if for some reason the red dot goes down it's not in the way. I'm pushing close to 1200 rounds and no issues yet. I've taken it off and on with the factory mount and no issues returning to zero.

The Geissele mounts are machines from a solid piece of 7075-T6 Billet aluminum. Weighs 2.6 ounces and has 2 recoil lugs machined into the bottom. The locking but provides 1400 pounds of clamping force and these things are built like tanks.
IMG_0961.JPG

Reactions: 100968 and Cuda66

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geissele even includes mounting screws. Primary Arms usually sells the mounts for 100 bucks each. The sale over the weekend had them marked down almost 50 percent. The 2 of them was about 120 bucks shipped. That's like a sore dick. Can't beat it.

Reactions: DevJames

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lè mounted
IMG_0964.JPG

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Passed 3000 rounds with the Holosun today. Still holding zero. Still as bright as it was when new. Glass is still flawless. Got to play with the NV setting recently and it worked like a charm. Still impressed

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
I considered it. Seems like it's solid for the price. But most say without a magnifier, it's kinda small. Still has some good features though...

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I considered it. Seems like it's solid for the price. But most say without a magnifier, it's kinda small. Still has some good features though...
I use it exclusively with a magnifier. Without one it's pretty useless at least to my peepers.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
I use it exclusively with a magnifier. Without one it's pretty useless at least to my peepers.
Ya, I was looking at it for shotgun or new sub gun. So definitely up close and why I wanted the horse shoe. Sig has something similar. Decided to try out the new Vortex.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya, I was looking at it for shotgun or new sub gun. So definitely up close and why I wanted the horse shoe. Sig has something similar. Decided to try out the new Vortex.
I wanna get hands on with a Steiner R1X.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I think I'm gonna wind up having to grab a few Holosuns. The auto on, battery life and reported durability of them sound pretty damn winning for the price.

I think one with the circle reticle will be just right on a Mossberg Int SA-20 Tactical I plan to acquire in a few months will be just right.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's gotten beat up pretty good in a carbine course and countless trips through the shoot house. Some force on force and recently a night vision exercise. It's gotten wet and done fine in some higher temperatures. I really dig it.

Reactions: DevJames and Cuda66

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
It's gotten beat up pretty good in a carbine course and countless trips through the shoot house. Some force on force and recently a night vision exercise. It's gotten wet and done fine in some higher temperatures. I really dig it.
Hmm.

Thinking that might be a nice optic on the Turkish Delight...

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm.

Thinking that might be a nice optic on the Turkish Delight...
The only complaint I have thus far is it's not that clear without a magnifier.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts