Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so today I was going to load up some Hornady XTP Hollow Points for my SA 1911 in 45 cal. I checked my first reload to see how it would feed from the mag to the chamber.........won't feed! It hangs up, not round enough.
My question to those of you shooting a SA 1911, what Hollow Point bullets work well? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I don't know why the XTP won't load. It must be something in your reloading process that is causing the problem. Maybe the OAL is too long. Ot something about the crimping process. What is the OAL?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OAL is 1.254". The same as my round nose reloads that work fine.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The OAL is 1.254". The same as my round nose reloads that work fine.
Too long. You do NOT load RNFMJ to the same OAL as a TCJHP. Most XTP will want to be closer to 1.230", maybe a bit shorter. I load 185gr-230gr XTP @ 1.220" run in my 1911 & XD. All my 1911s, regardless of manuf, will feed any JHP on the market.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll see how that works.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 1.20" works better. It seems that when the mag is full (7), the spring is holding the mag down and when the slide picks up the round, it is sluggish. If the mag has a lesser amount and the round picks up better. If I push up on the bottom of the mag, feeding is not a problem.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The 1.20" works better. It seems that when the mag is full (7), the spring is holding the mag down and when the slide picks up the round, it is sluggish. If the mag has a lesser amount and the round picks up better. If I push up on the bottom of the mag, feeding is not a problem.
Make sure if your charge wt was near the top end, you reduce it a bit, 0.1-0.2gr, for the shorter OAL. If you are shooting starting loads, it won't matter as much.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts