Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm considering adding the Hogue HandAll to my XD40. I tried a friends with it and like the way it feels. I'm just wondering what, if any, negatives anybody has experienced using this product on your XD. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks -quigley

Ooops... I thought this was the accessory thread...

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
The only problem would be with the grip safety, but I believe they (Hogue) have addressed that in thier design. I've used em on pretty much every steel framed gun I've ever owned except for my 1911s. I gots big paws. Here's a little tip: use some hand sanitizer on the inside of the sleeve when you install it. Makes it slide on easily and then evaporates completely unlike most slippery stuff. Works good on motorcycle and bicycle grips too.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
:shock: You must have Gigantopithecus size hands! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I had the Handall Jr on my XD40sc at one time. I had to notch out the back for the grip safety. In doing so, I put a weak spot in the grip I guess. If you look at the Handall, there is a seam that runs right down the middle of the back. After I notched out for the grip safety, I had about 1 year before the grip split in the back at this seam.

I replaced the grip with some bicycle tube and haven't looked back. It's much cheaper and has been on my pistol now for over 2 years. You can use some hockey grip tape under the tube to create finger grooves as well.

No matter which grip you decide on, use some hairspray to install. It will make the grip easy to slide on, then get tacky so the grip doesn't slide around on you.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Not a fan. They make the grip huge. I prefer other rubber grips with a thinner profile.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
The one I used on my XD 9 service made the gun feel much better and it does not interfere with the grip safety, tried the packy glove it wouldn't stop sliding up and down, the hogue locks into the notch at the back of the grip

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I use the jr on my xd40sc. The only issue being that it always has the grip safety pressed in. It's not a concern of mine, but it may be a concern for others. I also noticed the seam along the back of the grip and opted not to cut it to preserve it. I wouldn't be overly concerned with using hairspray to keep it from sliding. It's a very snug fit. I personally love the feel of it.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have them on my XD40 and love them. I was a little bit neutral toward the stock grip on the XD, but with the Hogue, it feels great to me.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
on my XD40 service model i have a single strip of skateboard tape on the front of the grip....makes a huge difference......it's a lot cheaper and the grip is not gigantic as would be with the Hogue grip

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I tried the Hogue Hand all on my Glock 17. It does add size to the grip, and it felt pretty good in the hand. But it really wouldn't stay in place. It was also difficult to install. I replaced it with Talon Rubberized grips and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Decided to take mine off the other night just for the heck of it. I prefer the feel of the xd without it now. Lately I've tried shooting more single stack guns and the added mass of the hand all kind of fell out of favor. But for the first 2 years I had it on my xd I couldn't imagine shooting without it. So I'm just going to look into some grip tape for it now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a Hogue grip made specifically for my XD-40 and love it. It does SLOWLEY CREEP down after 500??? rds and I plan to add some adhesive.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I tried the Hogue Hand all on my Glock 17. It does add size to the grip, and it felt pretty good in the hand. But it really wouldn't stay in place. It was also difficult to install. I replaced it with Talon Rubberized grips and couldn't be happier.
I used the Hogue Hand-All on a Glock 19 at Thunder Ranch. In real life, it could have gotten me killed. The Hand-All rode up, and prevented the magazine release from reaching full travel. Couldn't release and swap the magazine (that particular drill was to shoot to lock and swap magazines). Clint Smith called it a "mouse rubber", and recommended that I remove it.

Mine is in a landfill in Mountain Home Texas.

Might be a different experience with an XD, but it really soured me on grip sleeves.

Mark H.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts