Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally purchased a Hogue grip for my 45XD Tactical. Man, what was I waiting for? This grip is awesome. I liked the feel of the pistol in my hand before, but now there is a vapor lock between my hand and the pistol. It really fits my hand well. I can't wait to put some rounds through it with this new grip. Something a lot of the online photos don't show well is how nice the palm swell is near the sides of the grip.

I've included photos also of how I trimmed the top edge of the grip to not interfere with the grip safety. I used scissors to trim the grip. After it was trimmed I heated the cut edge with a lighter (with it off the gun) and patted it with the tip of my finger to 'round' the edge. Turned out really nice.

If any of you have any reservations about Hogue grips, I can tell you, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use a Pachmayr #5 in my XD40SC and i love it, i didnt have to cut anything it fits perfect, i put a drop of super glue at the buttom of the back to keep it from riding up over the grip safety.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nicely done. I should have my XD 45 Service in about a week and I want to add a grip to it as well. The ones I test fired did not have a grip but the other one did. Big difference. :D

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
The Hogue is nice on the 45. Does not work at all on the SC's. The pachmyer is much better on SC's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is there a Hogue made specifically for the XD, or is it actually a for a different model gun, but fits on the XD? I need to do this too.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Dude that looks great! I have some kind of grip tape on mine currently but I will switch to what you did. I recently installed the Hogue wrap-around grips on my P85 and it made a huge difference. Really like the finger grooves.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I put the hogue grip on my xd-9 service and I absolutely love it

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a Hogue made specifically for the XD, or is it actually a for a different model gun, but fits on the XD? I need to do this too.
Hogue does not specifically make a grip for XD's. The grip I used was designed for Glocks, Hogue part number "17000". This grip does fit the XD45 grip very well. I had to stretch the sleeve about 1/8" to get it around the grip, so it has a very possitive hold on the gun. Gander Mountain had them in stock for $12.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Spraying hairspray on the inside of it when you put it on will help hold it in place. I haven't put them on any of my XD's as the lack of finger grooves is one reason I switched from Glocks. I like the smooth front better.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't put them on any of my XD's as the lack of finger grooves is one reason I switched from Glocks. I like the smooth front better.
To each his own. I like the finger grooves. When I reach to draw my pistol from the holster, sometimes I'll grab maybe a 1/4" to low on the grip. This makes me have to re-adjust my grip before I can shoot. With the finger grooves, my hand knows right away if I need to shift my hand up a tad before drawing.

For me that makes my draw faster, since I have an accurate grab straight form the holster. To each his own. This is what works for me.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Anybody have a grip sleeve on an XD45C? I'm wondering which one I should get for mine...
I put the Hogue Hand-All Jr on my XD45 Compact. It fit perfectly w/no trimming. The top fits just under the grip safety and even w/the bottom of the grip.

It takes a little more time putting it on than it does the regular size (cause it's a smaller size), but it will fit. Just take your time & don't hurry it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
i had a hogue on my XD40 service and it made it much easier to controll. it was alittle difficult to slip on but i put it in some boiled water and it went on nice and snug!

·
Registered
48 Posts
you can heat the grip up with a hairdryer on low for a minute before installing. When it cools down the grip will be tight.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Someone had PM'ed me asking how I cut the grip. I cut the grip with scissors while it was off the gun, but first off I marked my cut with a ball point pen.

Here are the steps that I took to accurately mark and cut the grip.

1.) I held the grip back to back against the pistol handle. Essentially the back surface of the pistol grip was held up to the back surface of the Hogue grip, to compare the length of the back surface. (these are the back most surface of both grips that would contact the heal of your hand.)

2.) With a ball point pen, I marked the midpoint on the back surface of the Hogue grip to mark where the cut needed to end up in order the clear the grip safety.

3.) I compared the front surfaces of both the pistol grip and the Hogue grip (front most surfaces of both grips where your fingers wrap around). On my XD45 Tactical the front surface length was just right, so no mark was made.

Note: So what we've basically established is where the cut will begin and end. The top front edge midpoint to the midpoint marked on the rear of the Hogue grip are the critical locations for the edge that will be cut.

4.) Lay the Hogue grip flat on a table, and with a straight edge, press the grip until it is mostly flattened. Align the straight edge with the front edge and the mark on the rear surface of the grip (from step 2) and mark a straight line with a ballpoint pen. Turn the grip over and repeat to mark the opposite side. We now have a line starting and ending at the front top edge. This line dips down (about a 1/4") to clear the grip safety.

5.) Using sharp sissors, carefully cut along the line using smooth motions (try not to stop and restart your cutting motion).

6.) Next step is optional. The cut edge will have a little different appearance than the rest of the grip due to the difference in surface texture. To blend this in, heat the edge with a lighter using sweeping movements and tap the edge with your finger to round the edge. This is easily accomplished if you take your time and don't over due it.

Jon

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Does the Pachmeyer also have palm swell on the sides? I didn't think there was much difference and was going to buy whichever I found first given priced the same. I'm trying to duplicate the fatter grip on my Beretta and the Hogue looks to fit the bill from this posting.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
The Hogue is nice on the 45. Does not work at all on the SC's. The pachmyer is much better on SC's.
I have one on my SC. The Hogue Jr. Still took a bit of trimming, but it is very nice.

Nope, because the sleeve may interfere with the grip safety, but it's a fairly universal sleeve.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Interested - - but need more pics of your individual installs....make sure you say what it is (pach, hogue, model#,etc) for everyone's benefit (including mine). Thanks

btw - I have a XD45 Compact

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the Hogie Grip on my XD40 Service model and it feels great. My only issue is that I got some oil between the Hogue and the pistol grip and the hogue slides very easily. I wiped down the pistol grip and the inside of the Hogue and then sprayed some hairspray on the inside of the hogue and we will see how that feels tomorrow. If there is no big difference then I will pull out the superglue and put a dab or 2 on it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts