Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He says the trigger is not as good as the PPQ. i found that interesting. He's looking for a new winter carry gun with an extended trigger guard and is considering the HK.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I'm hoping to see one at the show this weekend.

I like a good trigger, no doubt about it, but I know just dry firing my P30 the trigger just feels OK. Then when I shoot a mag at a target and I get one hole I decide I like the trigger after all.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I actually handled one yesterday in a gun store.

Ergonomics are excellent....really really good. If you cannot configure the panels to fit your hand...no pistol will ever fit your hand...ok?

I love the "ears' on the rear of the slide - you get tons of purchase when power stroking the gun on a reload. They stick out just enough to give purchase but not enough to cause problems.

The slide stop is different from the P-30 and looks as if it is not as pronounced and will not get in the way, if you hold the thing high. I found the P-30's slide stop to be problematic and I had premature slide lock when shooting the P-30 because I accidentally rode the slide stop. I don't think I will have that problem with the slide stop position on the VP9.

The pistol is about the size of the PPQ and I did not think the bore axis appeared as high as say a USP.

Very well put together...typical HK build quality.

The mag release levers are different than those on the USP. Hard to describe but I thought they were easier to activate and maybe faster.

The trigger? Maybe not as good as the PPQ but better than the Glock. ten times better than the LEM on the P-30 I borrowed once and miles above any USP's trigger I have ever tested. I could totally live with it. Most people that can handle any Glock trigger will love the VP9's trigger.

The price is totally right...599 at the store I was in. The VP9 I handled belonged to a guy that just ordered it and got it in.

I will have to say that oh hell yeah....when I get back from my summer trip next week...I will be seriously looking at getting one of these.

This is probably the only thing I have seen that makes me even remotely want to move away from the Glock 19. The ONLY thing.

It appears that HK has done what many of us always wanted - give us a striker fired pistol with a good trigger and less than the 800-1000 dollar typical HK price tag.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I actually handled one yesterday in a gun store.

Ergonomics are excellent....really really good.

The pistol is about the size of the PPQ and I did not think the bore axis appeared as high as say a USP.

Very well put together...typical HK build quality.

The mag release levers are different than those on the USP. Hard to describe but I thought they were easier to activate and maybe faster.

The trigger? Maybe not as good as the PPQ but better than the Glock. ten times better than the LEM on the P-30 I borrowed once and miles above any USP's trigger I have ever tested. I could totally live with it. Most people that can handle any Glock trigger will love the VP9's trigger.

The price is totally right...599 at the store I was in. The VP9 I handled belonged to a guy that just ordered it and got it in.

I will have to say that oh hell yeah....when I get back from my summer trip next week...I will be seriously looking at getting one of these.

This is probably the only thing I have seen that makes me even remotely want to move away from the Glock 19. The ONLY thing.

It appears that HK has done what many of us always wanted - give us a striker fired pistol with a good trigger and less than the 800-1000 dollar typical HK price tag.

-brickboy240
Nice. Thanks for the impressions BB.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Before I handled one I was thinking I would look at it.

Now...oh yes...I am getting one when I get back.

If you ask me...this is really the first polymer pistol that looks as if it might really chip away at Glock's kingdom. It is as if HK looked at the Glock, M&P, XD, PPQ and others and looked at all their great points and problems and considered all points when building the VP-9.

I was expecting just a P-30 that was striker fired but it has some really different parts. Sure...it takes P-30 mags and it has the grip panels like the P-30 but there were some differences I liked, like the mag release and slide stop.

All the You Tube vids I have seen on the VP-9 have it running like the devil right out of the box. No jams, no funky election no odd problems. Typical HK reliability with all 9mm ammo.

So yes...I think this pistol will be huge.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I watched MAC's video the other day. Looks like a nice enough pistol but considering the size it won't come close to replacing my 19, MAYBE a 17 but in reality it would just sit next to my 17 as another 9mm range toy.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I watched MAC's video the other day. Looks like a nice enough pistol but considering the size it won't come close to replacing my 19, MAYBE a 17 but in reality it would just sit next to my 17 as another 9mm range toy.
That's pretty much what happened with my PPQ which is actually a little smaller than the VP9.

As nice as the PPQ is to shoot the 19 is still on my hip.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree totally.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like a good trigger, no doubt about it, but I know just dry firing my P30 the trigger just feels OK. Then when I shoot a mag at a target and I get one hole I decide I like the trigger after all.
I really like the trigger in my P30LS. After about 500 rounds the SA is SWEET - crisp, no grit, and just a tiny bit of travel that I like and yes I shoot very well with it. I just installed the Wolf 10 LB hammer spring on it yesterday and now the DA is pretty sweet also. Hoping to take it to the range this weekend to try out with the new hammer spring installed. No doubt that the reset on my PPQ is much shorter but my P30L reset is about the same, maybe a little longer, than my classic P series SIGs and is no problem for me.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yeah, I don't see the VP-9 replacing a G19 for carry but since I keep a G22 in the truck and my old G17 in the house...the VP-9 could easily see use in those places.

The size of it is really nice...I cannot wait to shoot one.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
If the VP9 works like everyone thinks it will look for a P2000SK sized striker fired VP9 next. Then look out other carry gun makers.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I am pretty sure we will see an SK sized VP-9.

I bet we also see a VP40 and VP45.

I almost bought an HK45C several times...but I WILL buy a VP45 if they build it!

-brickboy240

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
If they build an SK sized 9 carry gun and it shoots like I expect it to it would be my new carry gun. And I'm quite happy with both my carry guns (XDs 9 and G30s), but they're not HK's.

·
Administrator
16,932 Posts
I'm still waiting for the P30 sk. The VP9 will come out in different calibers first.... if they are like every other line on the planet. I don't see a VP9 sk any time soon. Now if they were REALLY serious about civilian sales... as evident by the VP9, a VP9 sk released soon would be a grand slam.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still waiting for the P30 sk. The VP9 will come out in different calibers first.... if they are like every other line on the planet. I don't see a VP9 sk any time soon. Now if they were REALLY serious about civilian sales... as evident by the VP9, a VP9 sk released soon would be a grand slam.
That would make it more serious. Thats one reason i never warmed up to the PPQ. It wasn't a total platform. Had they come out with PPQ subcompact i might have considered the gun more. Thats why i say for me S&W M&P and Glocks are the best money can buy. Its not just one model of one gun.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
i hope it will come out in 40 soon! i wouldnt mind having this as my first Full Size handgun! :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
;) that is a possibility!:p

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I handled one at the LGS a few days back, saving final judgment for actual live fire but from a dry fire it's the best striker trigger I've ever handled. The reset is more pronounced than the PPQ, and a hair bit longer but where it really beats the PPQ is the shorter take up and the entire trigger pull is so smooth. The cocking supports are a nice addition and the ergonomics are the best in the business. I can't wait till mine gets here, I can't imagine this not being my CCW.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts