Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a replacement/companion for my Kershaw Blur.

Found this:

Cheap Price HK Benchmade Nitrous Blitz Clip Point BT2 Coated Combo Edge Folding Knife for Sale | Hand Tools on sale

154CM stainless, made in USA by Benchmade for HK.

Simple, good looking, not to big or small.

I have owned several Kershaws and Bokers but never a Benchmade....is this a decent knife for 90-100 bucks?

Sure looks it, but if anyone has personal experience with this model...I'd love to get feedback. I am a medium user and will use this for everyday stuff like cutting open boxes, cutting rope and maybe light duty at the ranch.

For 100 bucks, it seems like a pretty decent knife with decent blade steel.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
I love benchmade but cant exactly see why this would be worth the price, in comparison to their other offerings. But it's really just whatever feels best to you. I wouldn't want that blade shape for anything other than cutting open boxes and self defense. I prefer blades with a large belly. Makes pretty much all tasks easier and safer.

Edit : just realized it's assisted opening which explains it's price. But generally just not for me. My zt0350 is the only assisted/auto knife I've ever liked.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a assisted folder with a 154C blade and made in America....I did not think the price was out of bounds.

Most Benchmades are 440 or AUS 8 and 154c is better steel...that is what you are paying for....better steel in the blade.

I was considering this or maybe the SOG Flash II at around 70 bucks. Yeah, its AUS 8 but SOG makes really nice stuff.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
For a assisted folder with a 154C blade and made in America....I did not think the price was out of bounds.
The price is not completely out of bounds. It also has titanium liners, which reduces weight (but increases price).

Most Benchmades are 440 or AUS 8 and 154c is better steel...that is what you are paying for....better steel in the blade.
Actually, most Benchmades are NOT 440C or AUS 8. Most Benchmades are 154CM. Their low-end offerings are 440C or AUS 8 (and they don't really use AUS8 any more). 154CM is the standard steel. The knife is a good knife, there's no question about that.

HOWEVER:
1) there is a place to get it for less: here for $93, or here for the satin finish for $88.
2) For $100 there are other Benchmade knives that I would pick before the Nitrous Blitz, that would work better for EDC and all-around use (all of these are linked to knifeworks.com, which probably has the best prices on the net (except for sniping one off eBay), and great customer service from Roger. Make sure to use the special code listed on each page, and you'll get these knives right around the same price as the HK knife from Amazon:

• Their entry level to their Blue and Black class (their good ones) is the Griptilian. This knife has Valox handles (nearly indestructible) and a 154CM blade. It is probably their most popular knife. The stain blade version of course, costs less, as it is with all Benchmades.
  • The Torrent. I had the opportunity to try this knife for a while, and I was very impressed. I am a lefty, so its right-handed liner lock didn't work for me, but if it came in a lefty version, I would have gotten one.
  • Barrage. I used to own the smaller mini-Barrage, and I wish I still did. The one negative about the knife is the Valox handles make a hollow sound and make it feel cheap. However, it is a very, very sturdy knife. It is an Assisted Opener with their Axis Assist. The thing snaps open as fast as an auto, but is legal to own. Once I save enough money, I'm getting the upgraded version, the 581, with G10 and Aluminum scales and M390 steel (but it's about $150 at my favorite internet knife store).
  • Mini-Onslaught. There's nothing "mini" about it, as the blade is 3.45" long. The thing is built like a tank!
  • mini-DejaVoo s30v steel. thumb hole. Not my cup of tea since it's a liner lock, but still a good knife with a premium steel.
  • Rift. If I can find one in my price range (used), I will get this knife. New, it's a bit more than the HK (about $20 more), but much better IMO, as the blade shape is more useful and it's an Axis lock.
  • Presidio. A tank of a knife. I prefer the drop point, but that one is not in stock right now. It will run you about $125 shipped. This thing was meant to be abused.
  • Bone Collector. D2 steel, so it's a premium tool steel that will keep an edge forever, but it will also take forever to sharpen it if you let it get dull (so just ship it back to Benchmade for their Lifesharp service and they'll sharpen it and give it a once-over replacing anything that needs it). Incredibly useful blade geometry, thumb hole, and a great gripping handle.
  • Ritter Griptilian. All the wonderful things about a Griptilian, but with a blade designed by Doug Ritter for tough use and made of s30v steel.

I was considering this or maybe the SOG Flash II at around 70 bucks. Yeah, its AUS 8 but SOG makes really nice stuff.
I used to own a Flash II. Note I said used to. The Flash II that I owned had a flimsy design. The clip was incredibly weak, there was considerable bladeplay, and the steel was simple AUS-8. For the same price as the Flash II for $70, you can get a Griptilian with better steel, much stronger lock, and better grip.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I used to own a Flash II. Note I said used to. The Flash II that I owned had a flimsy design. The clip was incredibly weak, there was considerable bladeplay, and the steel was simple AUS-8.
I will completely agree with you on the Flash II. I carry one everyday and don't expect it to last too long. You're right - blade play, clip that wanders, cheap/plasticy feel. I had to make many adjustments when I first got it. I only paid $40 for it on eBay.

My next EDC will be a Benchmade mini Griptilian. Maybe a full size? I really like that Ritter design you pointed out.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow...thanks for the help!

Admittedly I don't know tons about knives.

Other than this Kershaw Blur I carry and the Buck 110 and dad's old Ka-Bar that he lifted while in the Corps...I don't have a huge collection of knives or know a lot about them.

Looking around, it DOES seem like many others did not like the SOG knives. They sure look nice, but just like with firearms....they can LOOK great, but not be all they are cooked up to be. You get what you pay for and it seems that to get any sort of really decent folder...they start at 80-100 dollars. Anything less and you are cutting corners somewhere.

I am going to look closer at the Griptilian...that looks to be a better fit for a carry knife. One thing I REALLY need in a carry knife is the combo edge. I always wind up having to cut rope or something else thick and the serrated edge helps me power through it quickly....even if the blade is a bit dull.

I am pretty sure I do NOT want to go below 154C as far as blade steel quality.

From searching around on the web, I found a local knife/cutlery shop that has a huge Benchmade selection and I am going to go by and see these knives in person. Being able to hold it and feel the knife is huge....a photo on the computer screen only tells you so much. The store also has a large selection of Cold Steel, SOG, CRKT and Boker knives. I'll look at the others but I am thinking Benchmade is the way to go.

Thanks for the help...I'll let you all know what I end up buying. I really want to keep the buy at or slightly under 100 bucks.

- brickboy240

1 - 7 of 7 Posts