Which should I keep?

• HK-91

• FN FAL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
22,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father passed away and I got his FN FAL. I already have a .308 semi-auto battle rifle (HK-91) so which one should I keep? I really only want one .308 rifle.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Firstly, I'm sorry about your loss. You're in my thoughts and prayers and I'm sure many other as well. Secondly, keep the one that you like the best and sell the other one. I personally like the FAL but it's based on nothing more than uneducated aesthetic preference as I have very little trigger time on either. If you can't figure out what to do with the one you don't choose, feel free to send it to me for long term testing ;) lol

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Do you have a real HK-91 or one of those clones made by PTR or someone else?

Is the FAL original or one of those Hesse made monstrosities?

Obviously, if you have an original HK factory gun...THAT is the one to keep.

Either way...if both run 100% I would be tempted to hang on to both of them. After Hillary's win in 2016 (...you weren't lulled into believing that the left and the media were going to let the GOP win again..were you?) then you will probably be able to unload which ever one you wish and make tons more money.

Right now...all military styled rifles are at lows. I would not sell them now.

Wait and make more money in 2016 or after the next Sandy Hook like incident.

-brickboy240

·
Administrator
22,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a real HK-91 or one of those clones made by PTR or someone else?

Is the FAL original or one of those Hesse made monstrosities?

Obviously, if you have an original HK factory gun...THAT is the one to keep.

Either way...if both run 100% I would be tempted to hang on to both of them. After Hillary's win in 2016 (...you weren't lulled into believing that the left and the media were going to let the GOP win again..were you?) then you will probably be able to unload which ever one you wish and make tons more money.

Right now...all military styled rifles are at lows. I would not sell them now.

Wait and make more money in 2016 or after the next Sandy Hook like incident.

-brickboy240
Both weapons are as titled. I have a HK 91 and a FN FAL.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
My sympathies to you and your family. Were I in your predicament, I'd keep both and set 1 up as a long range rifle, and the other as a tactical. I don't know much about the HK-91, but that L1A1/FAL is heavy! I'd set the L1A1 up as the long range rifle for that reason alone.

If you only keep one, if the HK is a genuine HK and not a clone, it's a no brainer, go with the HK. As for the FAL, is it metric or inch pattern? Metric pattern means cheaper mags, and it seems that inch pattern FAL's are slightly more collectable.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
It's not a decision I envy having to make, but if I could only keep 1, I would lean towards the FN FAL. No really good reason other than personal preference. I certainly wouldn't regret keeping the HK either.

·
Administrator
22,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My sympathies to you and your family. Were I in your predicament, I'd keep both and set 1 up as a long range rifle, and the other as a tactical. I don't know much about the HK-91, but that L1A1/FAL is heavy! I'd set the L1A1 up as the long range rifle for that reason alone.

If you only keep one, if the HK is a genuine HK and not a clone, it's a no brainer, go with the HK. As for the FAL, is it metric or inch pattern? Metric pattern means cheaper mags, and it seems that inch pattern FAL's are slightly more collectable.
How do I find out?

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
How do I find out?
The easiest way to tell is the charging handle. If the handle folds flat against the receiver, it's more than likely inch pattern, though a few metric pattern rifles have been modified. I personally love FAL's. They're one of the toughest battle rifles ever made.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
As others have suggested, sit on them both and sell when the market is more favorable. It's not like it costs you anything, unless you have to run out and buy a bigger safe or something.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I'd keep them both.

With the current political situation in this country...both are wise investments.

To be honest...with the current prices on ARs, I have often thought about buying another Colt 6920 for 950 or so and rat-holing it away in the safe, to be unloaded after the next bad election or Sandy Hook like incident.

A real FAL or HK-91 will never go down in value. Stocks, gold and other "investments" are all subject to market ups and downs.

Seriously...unless you are in hard need for money for a medical emergency or other emergency...hang on to both of them. Even if you never shoot them.

-brickboy240

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Have owned both. Probably 2K thru the HK, over 5K through the FN. The HK seemed to buck more and tossed the brass too far away and the fluted chamber made reloading so so. I never did trust that brass shot with the HK. I never reloaded it. I never did like the HK sights. Both were rifles with full butt stocks. The HK was imported by HK of Chantilly VA?

The FN has that adjustable gas system. It can be beened down to lay the brass right beside you. Also the FN seemed to recoil smoother. Imported from Belgium by FN, Alexandria VA? Both are heavy. FN sights slightly better but not that great. The FN slightly less noisy. Just my feedback. Yep...wait a bit before auctioning off that HK. HB of CJ (old coot)

Accuracy wise, I could not tell that much difference. I was slightly partial to the FN, but that was just me. Had both a long time ago. If I could see it, I could usually hit it within about 5 shots. Did get one deer with the FN. About a 200 yard snap shot. Both are very lethal platforms in the right hands. If I could only have just one battle rifle, it would be a FN.

Edit; I forgot to mention the triggers. The HK was terrible with about a 10-12 pound LONG pull. The FN trigger cleaned up to about a 5-6 pound crisp short break. I hated the HK trigger and was the biggest reason I traded it off. Just another reason why I think the Belgium FN is a much better battle rifle. Others will disagree which is good. Just me.

·
Registered
11,062 Posts
Keep your father's rifle as both a memento and for shooting.

Although, I would keep both just because they're both nice rifles and they're paid for.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
As for the FAL, is it metric or inch pattern? Metric pattern means cheaper mags.

I have two words for you, they fit both metric and inch guns and are awesome.

MOSES MAGS
Moses Mag | Polymer Magazines

ArmyGuy, metric mags have a bump in the front middle of the magazine, while inch receivers have a rectangle notch that goes all the way across the contact surfaces, and while it is probably the better of the two designs due to surface area where the mag and receiver contacts each other, the Moses Mags I linked above fit in either metric or inch and lock up better than OEM mags altogether and have antitilt followers and are just all out better all around.

Inch receivers also have sandcuts in the bolt carrier, and other little things, and typically dubbed the L1A1. The Inch guns were prior Canadian, Brit, or Australian design. The other 90 something countries that adopted the Fal for service used the Metric design, which is more common and more available due to sheer numbers made.

Personally, I would've never considered selling something that my Dad past on to me.

Whether I already had a similar gun or not would've been beside the point.

Personally, I own a Fal and I think it's the better gun. The HK while more expensive to purchase, is also consequently more expensive to maintain.

Especially when you have to start replacing wear parts. Parts are more difficult to find (only a few vendors for parts are out there). HK's are harder on brass, and from my personal experience, not as accurate either, though may have just been the two specific guns I was comparing with.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Sorry about your father. I have no experience with either, I just can't believe no one has asked for pictures of both of them yet.

I can only sit the sidelines for so long before I need some visual stimulation...lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts