Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I've searched my ass and I have not found definitive answers. I have a sidekick IWB holster which is fine as far as comfort goes but I am concerned about it's moisture retention or transfer and rusting my XD 9 4" Service (melonite). Uncle Mike's site says it won't happen so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had their XD (melonite) rust in this holster?

Have you had your XD (melonite) rust in a Galco Underwraps Belly Band?

Blackhawk SERPA Sportster?

I have realized that I will need no less than three holsters to accommodate all carry situations/dress styles. I think an IWB, Belly Band and a good paddle holster should cover it. Why these 3? I never, ever, ever, ever wear a belt....ever, and I'm not going to start anytime soon.

money is not an issue but I have read that leather, even good leather can absorb/transfer moisture and cause holster wear, will Nylon do the same? What about DeSantis NYPAD holsters?

My main concern is rust prevention and my second is holster wear even though I know its inevitable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
OK, I've searched my ass and I have not found definitive answers. I have a sidekick IWB holster which is fine as far as comfort goes but I am concerned about it's moisture retention or transfer and rusting my XD 9 4" Service (melonite). Uncle Mike's site says it won't happen so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had their XD (melonite) rust in this holster?

Have you had your XD (melonite) rust in a Galco Underwraps Belly Band?

Blackhawk SERPA Sportster?

I have realized that I will need no less than three holsters to accommodate all carry situations/dress styles. I think an IWB, Belly Band and a good paddle holster should cover it. Why these 3? I never, ever, ever, ever wear a belt....ever, and I'm not going to start anytime soon.

money is not an issue but I have read that leather, even good leather can absorb/transfer moisture and cause holster wear, will Nylon do the same? What about DeSantis NYPAD holsters?

My main concern is rust prevention and my second is holster wear even though I know its inevitable.

Thanks.
If "money is not an issue", get one of each and then sell the ones you don't like :). If you're never ever, ever going to wear a belt, you might want to consider a shoulder holster?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would take a while but I guess I could. Any shoulder holsters you recommend? How are they rust-wise?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I've carried a Glock 17,Sig 226,Glock 19,and my XD in a sidekick and never had any rust.They are the most comfortable holster that I have found for my style of carry ,and they are inexpensive if you have to replace one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply! I definitely like this holster but after carrying it for a couple hours around the house I noticed it was warm and felt a little damp so I got concerned. Thanks for the assurance. I assume you have carried for an all day session with no ill effects. Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use leather for IWB, OWB, and shoulder holsters. So far, I haven't had any problems with any of them. I've been wearing a vertical shoulder holster for the past three days. 12-hours of that was spent shoveling out from 2-feet of snow. So far, the gun has stayed dry and secure. I carry every day.

Good luck,

Walker

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Walker,

Which vertical holster, and do you like it?

I'm in Moses Lake, so our climates are similar, though you have WAAAAAAYYYYY more snow!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've got a serpa but recently got a handmade leather IWB from Gun-works.com. I'm really liking it alot. The leather molds to you and the pistol.

The serpa is great for visible service carry, but I like the leather for conceal-carry.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
No one I know who carries has had a major problem with rust out of any holster they've used. It all comes down to proper maintenance. There really is no good option to just throw a gun in and forget about it forever. There are a lot of things that can cause rust over time, and nearly all of them are easily taken care of with routine maintenance and cleaning. If you are worried about holster wear you might consider buying a holster that is lined with felt or something similar.

·
Registered
341 Posts
No one I know who carries has had a major problem with rust out of any holster they've used. It all comes down to proper maintenance. There really is no good option to just throw a gun in and forget about it forever. There are a lot of things that can cause rust over time, and nearly all of them are easily taken care of with routine maintenance and cleaning. If you are worried about holster wear you might consider buying a holster that is lined with felt or something similar.
I always wipe down my guns with either FP10 or silicone cloth after cleaning them. Sometimes if the gun hasn't been shot for a while I will wipe down the outside again just because. FP10 is a penetrating oil and I really like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts