Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first XD today. Been practicing load/unload procedures, dryfiring, etc.

During all of this, I've been locking the slide back, then hitting the slide release to "chamber" a round and cock it (all while dry). Is this detrimental to the gun? Saw where some members were talking about that being detrimental in regards to 1911s on the last 3 posts of this thread: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/80725-dry-firing-bad-gun-myth-5.html

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
it shouldnt hurt it but i NEVER drop the slide on a empty chamber (thats just me though lots of people do it without problems) but if you are loading a round you should be fine. 1911s have much tighter tolerances so you can cause damage a lot easier. the xd takes a very small amount of oil to work correctly. most people WAY over oil their guns expect for 1911s which need more oil then xds or glocks or guns like them

·
Registered
317 Posts
Its not going to hurt your gun. Any stress you cause it is not even close to what happens when you actualy fire the gun. So when you run the slide RUN it, dont lock it and release but grip firmly and rip it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i always just drop my slide by pulling the slide lock down im possitive it isnt going to hurt the gun firing it puts way more stress on it that that would and these xd's are pretty rock solid i wouldnt be concerened with hurting it

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I don't let mine slam home every time on an empty chamber, I've done it but I don't make a habit of it. Don't think it'll do any damage but I just choose not to all the time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. It seems like doing that is a lot like the debate on dry firing.......you can do it, don't do it all the time because it might damage the gun.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
There are varying opinions. Better safe than sorry. There is no need to drop the slide on an empty chamber, so I don't do it.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I don't let mine slam home every time on an empty chamber, I've done it but I don't make a habit of it. Don't think it'll do any damage but I just choose not to all the time.
Ditto
To the OP, don't worry about dry firing the XD, just go easy on the slide drops.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I sent an email to Springfield Armory about 4 months ago asking them this very question. You can--and should--use the slide lock release to chamber a round from the magazine. Never put a round in the chamber and then let the slide close on it--always let the slide strip a round from the magazine.

When there are no rounds in the magazine, do not let the slide slam shut by releasing the slide lock. This is what I asked SA, and they said they do not recommend it, though it probably wouldn't hurt anything unless you do it a lot.

Here's the thread:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/73883-last-word-slide-slamming-forward.html

I view this as analogous to how you might treat a steel-belted radial tire. It's designed to protect against road debris and things like nails in boards. Probably, if I ran over such road debris, the tire would hold, but if I do it over and over and over again, sooner or later it'll find something it can't handle, and there I'll be.

I think it's the same w/ letting the slide slam forward on an empty chamber. I can't think of a good reason to do it, and while the XD is made, as one person has put it, from "spare Croation tank parts," nothing good can come from it.

I think that if you treat it with respect, your pistol will demonstrate a tremendous amount of toughness. Save testing that toughness for when you *really* need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts