Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was curious as to how hiking in the rain w/ my XD may affect it's preformance? I plan to purchase the holster at the bottom of this thread http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18486. I want to know if it's safe to shoot in the rain (I don't plan to, I'm mainly just curious)? And just how the weapon will hold up for a week in the rain and forest if I ever need to rely upon it. Sorry if this question has been asked but I searched and couldnt' find anything quite like this. Thanks for help :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
i don't believe rain will impact the weapon's performance negatively. in fact, i should think ANY impact will be negligible.

UNLESS the weapon is dunked in rain water, then you'll obviously want to shake out any excess water from the weapon PRIOR to shooting. i'm certain you understand the ramifications of having excess water in the bullet's path IN the barrel. OUCH. :shock:

and...if you're one of the unfortunate ones who has an XD that is prone to rust, and you have NOT gotten that taken care of by Springfield, the rain may cause you some topical rust issues, provided you neglect the weapon.

i get the impression the XD is a tool for you, and i respect that. to that end...treat it NOT like the hammer...but more like your expensive power drill. leave the hammer in the yard over the weekend, but when you hear the thunder protect the drill. :-D as much as possible that is. again...its a tool. ;-)

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Wax that puppy with some blue wonder armadillo prior to taking your wilderness trek. At least two coats. All metal parts ya can reach.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree w/both of these posts, I dont beleave it will hurt performance in any way, but I would take a small rag soaked in remoil, or something of that nature, and wipe it down when needed.
keep it as dry and cleen as possible and the xd will last many trips into the woods...

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Croatian military likes it...I bet it rains there...

+1 on the Armidillo suggestion. Nuthin like a good waxin'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
xd.eric said:
Hi, I was curious as to how hiking in the rain w/ my XD may affect it's preformance? I plan to purchase the holster at the bottom of this thread http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18486. I want to know if it's safe to shoot in the rain (I don't plan to, I'm mainly just curious)? And just how the weapon will hold up for a week in the rain and forest if I ever need to rely upon it. Sorry if this question has been asked but I searched and couldnt' find anything quite like this. Thanks for help :D
I spent a week in November taking an extensive 5 day-long handgun course that was conducted entirely outdoors, during which it rained heavily most of the time. My gun, me, everything was absolutely soaked and muddy and I had no problems.

I did get bits of rust on my XD in spots where I missed with the Armadillo wax, but I just wiped it off with a cloth.

That class really sold me on the XD. It was abused heavily during that course and kept on ticking. Even got mud in the slide and it kept firing.

The only problem I had was putting 1300 rounds through it before I cleaned it. The loaded chamber indicator got heavily gunked up with carbon and got stuck. However, this didnt affect the operation of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I live in Oregon.. shooting in the rain is a fact of life here. It will not effect your pistol, with the exception of needing to wipe it down when you find a place that is dry..

No worries.. the XD is a tried and true trooper... thouroughly tested here in the pacific NW.

Raymond

·
Registered
533 Posts
perdurabo541 said:
[/quote said:
I spent a week in November taking an extensive 5 day-long handgun course that was conducted entirely outdoors, during which it rained heavily most of the time. My gun, me, everything was absolutely soaked and muddy and I had no problems.

I did get bits of rust on my XD in spots where I missed with the Armadillo wax, but I just wiped it off with a cloth.

That class really sold me on the XD. It was abused heavily during that course and kept on ticking. Even got mud in the slide and it kept firing.

The only problem I had was putting 1300 rounds through it before I cleaned it. The loaded chamber indicator got heavily gunked up with carbon and got stuck. However, this didnt affect the operation of the pistol.

Were there any other guns that failed during the many hours in the rain?
I would like to hear what other guns the XD outperformed!!
Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the owners manual or something for the original importing of HS tout that the gun will continue to fire down to 1m submerged :shock: ? I would not want to try it though.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i've dropped mine in the driveway that had snow all over it not too long ago....the blue wonder armadillo worked like it was suppose to
the snow beaded off and the holster i had it in prevented any scratching.....all i did was wipe it dry and sit it by the window......no rust

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can fire any gun submerged....the difference is what ramifications you'll experience from it. I know there's a Glock out there that's built for underwater firing, as well as an HK. From what I've seen about firing underwater in the past, there are several factors:

1) You'll have much higher pressure in the barrel, because the water has to be evacuated ahead of the round, thus, the round has more work to do. If the pressure isn't handled toward the muzzle, its only got one way to go, back toward you.

2) Slide may move slower underwater, causing the next round to possibly not feed all the way.

3) Water moves from the blast similar to air, only more violently, and there's a higher chance the pressure wave will do deep tissue damage to your body.

Its the main reason amphibious/land based troops use rubbers to keep the muzzle of their weapons from being open, keeps sand and water out of the barrel. Now, completely submerging the gun may still get water into the barrel, if there are no rubber gaskets to keep everything 100% water tight. Once again, this is from what I've gathered in the past reading on the topic, however I've seen video of people shooting guns under water, and they seem to be quite alive and well after the experience. They've been folks who do that sort of thing, and I'm sure they're trained and knowledgeable.

Matthew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts