Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like others I have heard how the XD's bore sits higher than other guns. So tonight I was sitting here with my guns and decided to compare my XD with my custom 1911 side by side to see just how high.

I compared the bore to the trigger and to the beavertail and was more than a little suprised to find that the XD is actually lower than my 1911!

Sitting the two together so the bores are at the same level, the XD's backstrap is actually almost 3/4 of an inch higher. The slides are roughly identical in size as well.

The XD's trigger guard is lower, but then you notice that at the back where the cutout is at the grip, it's higher.
This would explain why the XD is faster than most pistols returning to target (less muzzle flip)

The reason the XD has been perceived to be higher is the massive appearance of the slide, but in actuality, they are pretty close in dimensions and in actually holding both and looking, the XD sits lower in my hand than my 1911.

Hope that answers a question regarding the myth of the higher bore.

PS, I will try to get a decent camera to take pics later.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Low bore axis is a marketing tool, and is not the end all of pistol design. :shock:

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
This is a constant argument used by the Glock crowd. It means nothing in actual subjective use, I've found.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, it's not an end all, but many times I've seen people asking why the XD has such a high bore yet is extremely quick to bring back to target. (I for one)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts