Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of any high velocity FMJ 9mm rounds? I heard that is what to use during winter because of thick jackets.

·
Registered
515 Posts
And I've heard the opposite - to use 147gr FMJ.

Personally I don't change a thing based on seasons.

Edit - I just realized you're from Arizona. What do you know about thick jackets? Are you referring to long-sleeve shirts? Darn desert folk. :-D

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I personally carry 124gr. JHP regardless of season. It's heavier than 115gr. but still fast enough.

Either that or get you a real bullet....230gr. 45;)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i would go with a heavy FMJ not a light and fast one. the heavier ones will penetrate better

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Or....if your truly concerned you could do what I did when I carried a .380

Load a JHP, FMJ, JHP, FMJ....etc in your mag. If your first shot isn't deep enough then your second one should be.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Use good quality HP rounds they are made to penetrate heavy clothing and expand in a bad guy. Who ever told you about using fmj during the winter isn't up to date with self defense ammo. Maybe 20 or 30 years ago it was OK but all new SD ammo will defeat heavy clothing and expand. Hey even if it didn't expand, it would act just like a fmj. HPs don't expand when hitting clothing.

Here's a brief description of how the ammo is tested.

All testing is done in accordance with the standardized FBI protocols. The bare gel test involves 10% ballistic gel calibrated to mimic human muscle tissue. The other tests involve placing various materials in front of the bare gel to demonstrate what it would be like to shoot someone through such materials. After the bullet punches through these barriers it may become damaged /deformed or plugged with material(wood/cloth) which will reduce its expansion capabilities. When a hollow point expands it acts like a parachute reducing penetration. If it is damaged or plugged it may not expand very well which results in deeper penetration with less expansion. The FBI has done continued testing of ammunition for two decades and they take into account the results of actual street shootings and how that ammunition behaved against an actual person and/or barrier. With that knowledge, they still recommend that you use ammunition that achieves a minimum penetration depth of 12” in bare gel. They also conclude that good penetration is always more important than expansion, but as long as 12” of penetration can be maintained every bit of expansion improves terminal damage effects.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Here are some test results on Win 9mm. The penetration listed is on the ballistics gel after the round penetrates the barrier.

9mm+P+ 127gr(1250fps):
(Penetration/Expansion)
Bare Gel: 12.3”/.64”
Through Denim: 12.2”/.68”
Through Heavy Cloth: 12.2”/.68”
Through Wallboard: 12.1”/.66”
Through Plywood: 12”/.68”
Through Steel: 20.5”/.40”
Through Auto Glass: 9.4”/.48”

9mm 147gr(990fps):
(Penetration/Expansion)
Bare Gel: 13.9”/.65”
Through Denim: 14.5”/.66”
Through Heavy Cloth: 14”/.66”
Through Wallboard: 15”/.67”
Through Plywood: 14.8”/.62”
Through Steel: 17”/.45”
Through Auto Glass: 10.8”/.52”

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Honestly, does anyone actually believe a jacket is going to stop your bullet from penetrating? At best it may clog a JHP & it will penetrate further. This idea of switching bulelts or calibers for winter is, well I don't get it. Test them yourselves, it's easy enough to do. Old jacket+wet phone books or 1gal water jugs, done. Use a good JHP, put them where they are supposed to go & stop worrying about it.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
also if your concearned about the bullet not expanding you could get the federal EFMJ.

i carry buffalo bore 180 grain gold dots in my 40 year round

1 - 11 of 11 Posts