Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just recently purchased a High Standard 1911 GI model. It has a problem feeding the bullet into the chamber. I thought it was just the factory magazine, so i picked up a couple Wilson Combat mags and they helped out quite a bit. It still jams about every 50 rounds or so. Any ideas about what it could be?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Hey guys, i just recently purchased a High Standard 1911 GI model. It has a problem feeding the bullet into the chamber. I thought it was just the factory magazine, so i picked up a couple Wilson Combat mags and they helped out quite a bit. It still jams about every 50 rounds or so. Any ideas about what it could be?
Extractor is too tight would be my guess. Polish the feed ramp, Adjust the extractor and it should be good to go.

·
Registered
821 Posts
New 1911's hiccup until you have some rounds down it, usually 500 or so. Polish the feed ramps as suggested, and yes the extractor could be too tight. You should be able to slip a round between the breech and under the extractor. It should hold it there, snug, but not too firm. The way a 1911 feeds the extractor does not snap over the rim of the case, it feeds under it.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
New 1911's hiccup until you have some rounds down it, usually 500 or so.

That is the exact opposite of my experience. With the exception of a very early Sig GSR model I've never had a feed problem with any of my 1911 framed pistols.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That is the exact opposite of my experience. With the exception of a very early Sig GSR model I've never had a feed problem with any of my 1911 framed pistols.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My Kimbers run great from the factory but my Springer Loaded needed a few tweeks to get it to run right.

·
Registered
288 Posts
High Standards are cheap 1911's but I have fired a approx 1000rds through mine and it functions flawlessly . The High Standards come with a poslished ramp already. What ammo you using? Have you completely strpped it down ,cleaned and properly oiled her? For less than $400.00 these pistols are a good deal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses. I am using remington UMC ammo and Winchester. Both 230 grain. I field striped it( i dont feel comfortable taking it completely apart) and cleaned it up very well. It seems to be working better everytime i shoot it. Maybe it does need to be worked in a little.
The other thing that i have a question about is when i load a new mag and hit the slide release, the slide doesnt close all the way.

How do i go about adjusting the extractor? Is there somewhere i can read about how to do this? Thanks again guys. I am definitaly a noob:wink:

·
Registered
288 Posts
You may need a new recoil spring. There is something going on. Are you cleaning the rails real well and oiling them? The slide should close easily

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Thanks for all the quick responses. I am using remington UMC ammo and Winchester. Both 230 grain. I field striped it( i dont feel comfortable taking it completely apart) and cleaned it up very well. It seems to be working better everytime i shoot it. Maybe it does need to be worked in a little.
The other thing that i have a question about is when i load a new mag and hit the slide release, the slide doesnt close all the way.

How do i go about adjusting the extractor? Is there somewhere i can read about how to do this? Thanks again guys. I am definitaly a noob:wink:
1911forums. Its a simple procedure.
1. Remove slide from pistol and remove the barrel.
2. Using a blunt punch depress the firing pin below the edge of the firing pin stop and slide the stop out the bottom of the slide. Be careful not to shoot the firing pin across the room or ino your face.
3. Using Light pressure on the claw end of the extractor slide it out the back of the slide and clean it good.
4 put the extractor about 1/4 of it's length back into the extractor recess with the claw facing the outside of the slide, using thumb pressure put pressure on the inside surface of the extractor. Re assemble the pistol and attempt to load a dummy round into the chamber from the magazine, there may be some slight hesitation of the slides momentum but this is ok as long as the slides travel does not stop before the round is fully chambered. 1911Forum.com - 1911 news, reviews, and more! has pictures that will explain the directions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts