Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a High Noon Sky High Holster and their rock steady belt. The combo is GREAT! Except I think I need to break it in a LOT more. With the holster off the belt the draw is smooth and great. But once it's on the belt and properly tightened, it is very difficult to draw the weapon quickly.

Does anyone have any experience with this or another similar high noon holster and what type of break in methods I may need to use or if it will just be a tight draw.

It should be noted, I've removed the tension screw completely so it's not an issue with that.

Thank you...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I recently ordered a High Noon Sky High Holster and their rock steady belt. The combo is GREAT! Except I think I need to break it in a LOT more. With the holster off the belt the draw is smooth and great. But once it's on the belt and properly tightened, it is very difficult to draw the weapon quickly.

Does anyone have any experience with this or another similar high noon holster and what type of break in methods I may need to use or if it will just be a tight draw.

It should be noted, I've removed the tension screw completely so it's not an issue with that.

Thank you...
I have one that is lined & its still tight. I wrapped the gun in a baggie & left it in the holster for several days & then sat & worked the holster in my hands like a new ball glove.

If its not lined,you can use draw-ez I think its called. Just rub it inside the holster & let it dry. All of these help but just repeated drawing will do it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
a good quality leather holster will have a long break in period, its just one of those things. most custom leather holster companies do not recommend using oils or liquids to try and break it in faster.

the best thing you can do is just continue to wear it around the house. if need be, put your gun into a plastic ziploc bag or two and then holster it and leave it in there as you go about your daily chores (at the house obviously). the thin layers of the plastic bag will add just enough width to your gun's contours to loosen up the holster without stretching it too far. once leather is stretched is can not be unstretched, easily anyways.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I did "double bag it yesterday" and it does seem to be much better even after only a few hours of wear. I have no doubt it will work VERY well soon.

I'm not too worried about "over stretching" it. It has a thumb break and a tension screw, plus I don't really think I can over stretch it.

It's a GREAT holster and belt combo....I'm very pleased. Especially now that I know it's normal for leather holsters to be tight at first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just received the same holster (unlined) in black cowhide. Also using their rock steady 1.5" belt that I just received as well. The holster is VERY tight on my XDM 4.5". With an unloaded pistol the slide was forced back just trying to holster it in my hands (which is exactly why you use an unloaded gun). I worked the holster as per High Noon's included instructions for a bit. It definitely loosened up some as I could holster the gun. However, with the tensioner so loose that I can spin the tensioner ring/grommet I CANNOT draw the weapon AT ALL when wearing it on my hip.

I put the gun in the holster over night but no change. So now I'm wearing it around the house with the gun wrapped in a couple layers of grocery bag plastic. Again, the tensioner is loose enough to spin the grommet. It's a good looking holster and feels well made. But "out of the box" it might as well be a super Level 3 retention holster as I am unable to draw the pistol with a belt through the holster. I have to remove my belt in order to draw the pistol.

I'm hoping it'll loosen up quickly because I'd very much like to use this holster for regular carry purposes. After two hours I still cannot draw the weapon. Going to take a while!

Edit: High Noon recommends using the 4mil plastic bag thy ship the holster in to wrap the gun for "blocking". Trying that out.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Thank you...
I had a "speedy spanky" lined version delivered on Friday and have been using their 4 mil bag and doing repeated drawing with a smaller plastic bag. So far, it's blocking well....it's just going to take some time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts