Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with any 1911 mags that hold around 15 or more rounds that feed well?

·
Registered
349 Posts
It has to do with mag body length (easily bent or dented) and mag spring strength. It’s just the nature of the beast with single stack mags.

There are several companies that offer 8 round mags that work.
CMC and Wilson 10 round mags are very reliable and back in the late 80’s - early 90’s, Triple K offered an 11 round mag that worked fairly well.
The folks up at Aberdeen proving grounds experimented with a 30+ round mag in an attempt to make the 1911 into some kind of machine pistol. Looked kind of silly if you ask me. (collectors item now a days)

If you want a 1911 that holds a lot of bullets, try the wide body offerings from Para Ordnance, STI, SV, Springfield, etc. Staggered mag designs are where it’s at for higher capacity.

Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of the reasons I really like my Kimber Ten II is that it is a double-stack 1911.

If you're talking about single-stack high-capacity mags, I have a few of the Wilson Combat 10-rounders and a few of these ridiculous mags that I don't know the brand of, and can't remember the round count they hold.

Those WC 10-rd mags have always fed and functioned perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I should have mentioned, WC 8-rd, WC10-rd, unknown brand unknown count. If you like, I can fill that mag to find out the rd count.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya those 10 round mags work well with my rock island. But I have seen some of those long 15 round mags on cheaperthendirt and has really mixed reviews. Its a 50/50 slip of working and not working. I might pick one up to see how it works with the rock.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
wasn't there a drum mag for the 1911 at one point?

this reminds me of seeing the guns Dillinger had.

the Full auto 1911 with the welded mags was freakin' nuts.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The only double stack 45s I know of that are totally reliable are the XD, Glock 21 and the M&P.

When you add a chubby grip to the 1911, you kill one of the reasons to HAVE a 1911....the nice-feeling grip.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
The only double stack 45s I know of that are totally reliable are the XD, Glock 21 and the M&P.

When you add a chubby grip to the 1911, you kill one of the reasons to HAVE a 1911....the nice-feeling grip.

- brickboy240
Add the USP45 and the HK45 in there, too.

And for the most part, I agree...but I do like widebody 1911's as well. I keep toying with ordering a Nighthawk FLX...

·
Registered
47 Posts
i own two wilson combat and two springfield factory 10 round mags. the work fine, never have a problem. dont know why i bought them bit they are fun to have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have seen a vender at a gun show that has 1 or 2 mags for a 1911 that has 15 or more. there only 20-25 dollars. not sure if there angood though.

·
Registered
2 Posts

- brickboy240
Althought it's a double stack that only holds 10 rounds, I have a Wilson Combat KZ45 and it's been perfect. The grip isn't that much bigger than a standard 1911 either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts