1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
Its been years, but I remember them as being cheap crap, but even on sale, what do you expect for $20. Shoes and boots are an area I don't skimp on any more.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Its been years, but I remember them as being cheap crap, but even on sale, what do you expect for $20. Shoes and boots are an area I don't skimp on any more.
in my experience i've never had a good pair of boots under 80 bucks. that said those look much better than most 20 dollar pair of boots. if they happen to fit your feet they might be acceptable, but i never really understood peoples need to switch to heavier shoes they aren't accustomed to when SHTf if i was a civvy i would wear tennis shoes if thats what i'm comfortable in. (not really I exclusively wear hiking/combat boots so thats what I have)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got a pair of Hi-Tecs usually costing $90 for $40 due to a sale, but I'm not going to use these as my everyday use boots, but as a cheap backup/yardwork pair. On boots I use every day I don't pay less than $95 when they are on sale. A few years back, I used a very similar pair to those Midland hikers, I think the soles where slighty different, I used them for a year of my life everyday, until they were over worn and made my feet hurt. I would actually say go for this $20 deal this time, if you don't like them just use them as backups as you said, but I wouldn't use them everyday.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've owned a few pairs of Hi-Tec boots over the years and they've always held up well and served me faithfully. I think they're pretty comfortable too, but I've never had any of the uber-fancy boots out there; I just can't afford 'em.
I'm in the market for new work boots though, so I think I'll have to jump on this. Thanks for the heads up, ackks!

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
I've owned a few pairs of Hi-Tec boots over the years and they've always held up well and served me faithfully. I think they're pretty comfortable too, but I've never had any of the uber-fancy boots out there; I just can't afford 'em.
I'm in the market for new work boots though, so I think I'll have to jump on this. Thanks for the heads up, ackks!
Why spend $500+ on a pistol when you can get a Jimenez or Hi-point for under $200?
$200+ boots are worth saving up for.
When I was younger, by chance I tried some Asolo mountaineering boots I saw on clearance for $190. They were by far the best boots I have ever had. I wore them almost constantly when it wasn't real hot out for at least 5 years. For me, it is odd for pair of shoes to last me more than 6 months "in the rotation". On my wife's last big shopping holiday, I went to REI and snagged some Hiking boots for $225 (Zamberlan Trekkers if anyone cares). My previous big shopping trip, I picked up 3 pairs of Reeboks for about the same price. These boots are showing no signs of failing and should last longer than the trio of Reeboks.
Keep your Hi-Tecs for cleaning up Fido's back yard messes and the like

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Why spend $500+ on a pistol when you can get a Jimenez or Hi-point for under $200?
$200+ boots are worth saving up for.
When I was younger, by chance I tried some Asolo mountaineering boots I saw on clearance for $190. They were by far the best boots I have ever had. I wore them almost constantly when it wasn't real hot out for at least 5 years. For me, it is odd for pair of shoes to last me more than 6 months "in the rotation". On my wife's last big shopping holiday, I went to REI and snagged some Hiking boots for $225 (Zamberlan Trekkers if anyone cares). My previous big shopping trip, I picked up 3 pairs of Reeboks for about the same price. These boots are showing no signs of failing and should last longer than the trio of Reeboks.
Keep your Hi-Tecs for cleaning up Fido's back yard messes and the like

Except sometimes good enough is good enough. I commuted back and forth to work in a Ford Focus for years when I could afford to buy a BMW or Cadilac or a Benz. The Focus was good enough for what I used it for.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Having once owned part of a shoe wholesale distributor I have two comments:

1. That is a great price for what it is.

2. HiTec is generally speaking, considered a lower-middle tier quality shoe. They do not compete with the 200-500 hiking boot one finds on the high end of the middle, but they are not (or should not be) crap that falls apart immediately with the second hard use in a muddy field. I think they do better if you take care of them by replacing the insole, the laces (all these years, and I still immediately replace all laces with paracord unless they are dress shoes) and spraying with some sort of conditioner/sealant.

YMMV - but for $20, its not a particularly wasteful experiment even if you only get a single hard season out of the pair.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't post them to be a replacement for $200+ boots and I don't think anyone would argue the quality difference. However, I have expensive running shoes and sneakers I cut my lawn in. Both serve a purpose. I'd rather not use my expensive boots to shovel snow, work on my car, cut down tree branches, etc. You can't even buy a t-shirt in a lot of stores for $20 anymore. I'm putting a few pairs away and I'm sure I will find a use for them. I spent some time searching campmor.com and found people generally really like them. Their ratings were usually 4.2 or more out of 5.

As for never getting quality shoes for under $100, my Asolo boots were originally $230+ at least. I got them for around $94 dollars shipped at REI. You just have to shop around and be frugal.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I bought some Timberland Desert Force Hi boots from Sportsman's Guide for less than 50 bucks and they are the best combat boots I've ever worn, especially if you find yourself running. They are awesome but hard to find. Mine have been through HELL and still look brand new on the bottom. Just another option to throw out there.

I tried to find a link to some but everyone seems to be sold out. Here is a link to what they look like in case you are lucky enough to run across them.

Timberland Desert Force Hi Boots - Waterproof, PreciseFit (For Men) - Save 44%

·
Registered
179 Posts
OP- thanks for the heads up!
I went ahead and picked up a pair of the Altitude waterproof's last night.

I love my Danner Mtn Lite's, and they are much better boots I imagine, but thought I could break these in and stash them away as back-ups in my preps.

At $20, what could I lose?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know Hi-Tec isn't the best, but like I said, the ones I've owned have all lasted me at least 2 years of being worn on a fairly regular basis. So my thought is why spend $200+ that I don't have on boots that are beyond what I need when I can spend $20 that I can afford on boots that'll be plenty good? These would just be for wearing to work anyways, and I get a $50 credit from my job for work boots, so I'd be getting them for free. Can't beat that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts