Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've heard their name come up once or twice before and was wanting to get some more info. Im in the search for a low cost .45 that is accurate and reliable. So is there anything wrong with them? Anything special?

Keep biases aside because I know we are on an XD site :rolleyes:

Update: Thanks for the input guys, one of the comments really caught my attention on a RIA 1911. So dont worry about HP info anymore, if you find a RIA 1911 for under $300 please let me know!

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I wouldn't trust my life to one as my first choice....They are a little odd to handle (blowback operated). For the price though I don't see what it can hurt.

·
Premium Member
24,766 Posts
Hi Point is a P.O.S. IMO.

My dad bought one because he is cheap, and every time we go to the range he gets at least one or two FTFs per box of 50.

The trigger feels like a sponge and very wobbly.

They offer a lifetime warranty because they need it!

If you want a cheap reliable .45 get a RIA 1911.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Point is a P.O.S. IMO.

My dad bought one because he is cheap, and every time we go to the range he gets at least one or two FTFs per box of 50.

The trigger feels like a sponge and very wobbly.

They offer a lifetime warranty because they need it!

If you want a cheap reliable .45 get a RIA 1911.
Thanks, I read some reviews and their good with FMJ but seem a bit unreliable with JHP which is what counts right? :rolleyes:

Ill look em up.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
The only one I ever shot was a jam-o-matic...with FMJ

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I've always heard their POS, but was corrected by some owners, that they are fun to shoot. They maybe be fun, but it would serve no other purpose...

·
Premium Member
24,766 Posts
I've always heard their POS, but was corrected by some owners, that they are fun to shoot. They maybe be fun, but it would serve no other purpose...
Puzzles you cannot figure out and hard sudoku puzzles are fun too.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
The carbines are fun as hell. I've owned three separate HP's, none with any problems. A replacement trigger fixes the lame pull, and a new stock dresses up the carbines.

I wouldn't buy the pistol simply on the basis that I don't really shoot handguns for "fun". I'd rather spend an extra $100 and get a smith or something.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
They are about the oddest pistol I have ever picked up, top heavy and just funky feeling.
There are clearly two Hi-Points, great ones and garbage ones, and no way to tell which you are getting when you buy it. I have seen too many posts and talked to too many Hi-Point owners to believe otherwise. It's a QC problem, some gems some lemons.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ihave shot all of the HP's except for the 380 and the .40 carbine. they are great lil guns. fun to shoot, pretty well made, unconditional lifetime warantee. These aren't HD/PD guns but great for truck guns or plinkers. I have spoken to numerous people that use HP's as thier CCW and even used these "P.O.S.'s" to test for thier CHL. Some people even carry them as thier work gun. I myself own a '97 C9 9mm and love it. Yes i want a nicer gun but i can't afford one right now so i am happy with my C9 to protect myself and my wife.

WTFH4XX...this site is donw right now but i would highly recommend getting on the Hi Point Firearms Forum, the single best place to learn more about HP's. I mean i wouldn't come on this forum if i truly wanted to find out about Glocks, andi wouldn't go to GlockTalk is i wanted to learn about AK-47's.
If you are looking for a lower priced .45 then i would def reccomend it. if uncomfotable with such a low priced firearms then save somemore and get something that you will really like

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
You get what you pay for :-/

·
Registered
198 Posts
its a lost cause for me to try and argue the fact that HP's don't suck. PEACE

·
Registered
747 Posts
The main problem I had with them when shooting my friend's was the ridiculously top heavy slide. It was such an imbalanced gun and for just a little extra money you could have such a much nicer firearm.

Oh yeah, and they jam like a bastard.

·
Registered
198 Posts
like someone else said, some are gems and some are lemons. I guess mine happens to be one of the gems. it is over 11 years old though, thouroughly broken in and also is before HP added a couple of features like the LRHO and the textured slide. the slide on my C9 ahas a nice back finish that is pepperd with knicks and scratches but the smooth finish can get slick after i shoot for a bit and the paws begin to sweat

·
Registered
9,629 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
A ringing endorsement! :razz:
Here Here.:shock: But seriously if you need a throw away or a gun that can also be used as a boat anchor or a contact weapon High Point is right up your alley. They do however turn up at a lot of crime scenes so it has the Crip/Blood seal of approval.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts