Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Look: Hi-Lux Micro-Max B-Dot RDS | The Bang Switch

This could be a good option for a red dot sight between the Bushnell TRS-25 and the

I was able to grab a new red dot sight from the guys over at Hi-Lux optics that will soon be on the market, they’re targeting a release of early October. The sight has been dubbed the Micro-Max B-Dot and it’s a full featured RDS with an impressive battery life. I’ve been shooting the B-Dot since the first week of September and so far I’ve found it to be a very robust little T-1 Micro alternative.

I won’t keep you guys waiting, the price on this new optic is $249 (MSRP) with an actual street price somewhere below that. The price is certainly attractive but there’s more to this new sight than just the price — much more.

First, the new sight is compatible with all Aimpoint T-1 Micro mounts. This is a big bonus given the popularity of the more expensive Aimpoint offering. If you’re like most of us, myself included, you can’t afford to put a T-1 Micro on every gun you own so having a low cost alternative*that uses the same mounts makes*a lot of sense.

The first thing that I noticed when pulling my new Mirco-Max B-Dot from it’s box is that it seemed to be of very good quality. The materials used, the finish and the fit all seemed to indicate I would have a positive experience with the new sight. I also have a long track record of using, and liking, Hi-Lux products. Their popular line of 1-4x24mm CMR sights have been a mainstay in my stable of rifles as I now own four of them. If the quality of the new B-Dot is on par with the CMR’s I’ve grown to love, then it’s destine to be a solid performer.

The sight ships with a low mount that will work on some rifles or pistols with 1913 rails. However, for most long guns, like the AR15, you’ll want to pick up the optional riser mount ($29) which will sit the sight 1.6″ above the rail and will allow for a lower 1/3 co-witness with back-up sights.

There are a number of affordable sights on the market in the $249 price range and most of them have similiar features. They’re mostly all shock proof, water resistant, use standard batteries, etc. but not all of them have a battery life of 55,000 hours. Yes, you read that right, it’s not a typo — 55,000 hours on a single CR2032. That means this little $249 wonder competes with the $700 T-1 Micro in terms of battery longevity. Most affordably priced RDS’s have battery life measured in the realm of hundreds of hours, not thousands. For me, this is a big reason why I’ve historically been willing to pay more for an Aimpoint because until recently they had the corner on the 5 year battery life market.

The 2 MOA dot on the B-Dot makes it ideal for both close range and longer range work, I’ve been able to hit targets well past 300 yards with the sight on a 5.56mm rifle. There are 12 brightness settings which are easily accessed via rubberized buttons that reside on top of the aluminum housing. The lowest brightness setting is compatible with night vision goggles. The sight will automatically shut off after 8 hours of use with the factory default settings, however*this is user configurable from 2 hours to 12 hours. Another positive is that I’ve found the dot is clearly visible even in the brightest light conditions. The power is controlled via two buttons. Press either and the sight will power on. One will increase brightness while the other will decrease it. Pressing both simultaneously will power the sight off. The buttons are out of the way making*accidental activation is unlikely, especially while transporting your rifle in a case.

The sight has both elevation and windage adjustments using conventional adjustment turrets. Each positive click will move the point of impact .5″ at 100 yards (1/2 MOA). The caps that seal and protect the adjustment towers have integrated adjustment tools built in that allow you to unscrew the cap, invert it, insert it into the turret and twist. Inside the cap you’ll find instructions on which way to turn the turret for elevation and windage adjustments.

To keep the sight free from condensation, it’s filled with nitrogen gas.

Inside the box you will find other useful items that other manufacturers typically charge extra for. Two flip-up plastic lens covers are included that fit snuggly and work extremely well. Unlike some caps I’ve found on other budget optics, these don’t fall off or appear to be flimsy in any way. You’ll also find a small screw-in kill flash type device that reduces light reflection off the objective lens in bright sunlight conditions. The kill flash screws into the objective side and works with the included flip-up lens covers. I can’t say I’ve found a use for kill flashes, I’m not that tactical, however I know many folks do have a use for them and it’s nice they’re*included as they can be quite pricey to buy.

Finally, there’s one feature that really say “ok, they*may have thought of everything”. The battery cap not only holds the CR2032 that powers the sight, but it also has a spare battery tucked in there in case 5+ years of battery life isn’t quite enough. Combined you have a good decade of battery power for your sight that’s*always*with your sight. For those of us who call ourselves “preppers”, this sight has quite a bit of appeal. It’s affordable, well made and has the ability to run for nearly a decade on self contained battery power.

Like all Hi-Lux products, the new B-Dot is manufactured in China. I realize some of our readers have an aversion to buying anything that’s made in China. I don’t have any such aversion, I buy what works. Chinese, Israeli, Russian, Canadian, Mexican, Bulgarian, Austrian, Croatian, Romanian… I don’t care, I’ll put it in my safe if it works and the price is right. I will also say that I’ve seen consistently good quality optics coming from*manufacturers such as*Hi-Lux.

In the several weeks I’ve been using this sight I’ve found it to be reliable, durable and a pleasure to use. Where I once recommended the Vortex SPARC at this price point, I feel that may be changing. Give me a few more months with this new sight to see how it holds up. Barring any problems*I will likely change that recommendation to the new Micro-Max B-Dot. If you’re in the market for a well made RDS with incredible battery life that won’t break the bank, you may want to check out this new sight.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
cool! This is worth a try for my AR Pistol Build this winter...thanks for the intel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts