Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Just joined today because I saw a Member with 3 pistols I like, thought he could give me a heads up.

My son took his dad ( a Mod 63- 22cal- 4" SW, 20yrs=1box) to shoot his new XDM auto 9mm. I had never really shot an auto because I always felt that a house gun that the wife would also shoot should be a revolver. I was really inmpressed by the accuracy and mild recoil of the 9mm XDM, I can say mild after the first 50 shots which I didn't think mild. I was also impressed by the many safety features on the XDM. We argued weather it was SA or DA, I guess its a SA with a fire blocker that makes it seem like a DA. Doesn't the spring get tired always cocked?

While at the range I also shot the Sig 229 and 239 which were also nice but seemed to recoil a bit more, tho' I shot them earlier. I also shot the Beretta M9 but I thought the grip may be too big for my wife.

In any case - Hi Guys - any advice for me feel free to advise.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Besides the spring question, what is your question you are looking for advise about?

·
Premium Member
24,766 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would say the XD line is SA only, this is why they are classified as ESP in IDPA shooting and Glocks are classified as SSP.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking for members opinions on which of the 3 pistols would they recommend for a house and not too frequently range gun for me age 72 and wife - younger. Any problems with any of the three? Any of the three more suited to women?

·
Premium Member
127,757 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I was looking for members opinions on which of the 3 pistols would they recommend for a house and not too frequently range gun for me age 72 and wife - younger. Any problems with any of the three? Any of the three more suited to women?
The 229 has a stainless slide and will be a bit heavier so it will dampen recoil more than the 239. The XD has a polymer frame which will absorb some recoil so it will feel "softer" to shoot. The trigger on the XD takes a bit of time to master for some folks but is lighter than the 299. The 229 having a bit of a heavier trigger will tend to be a bit safer in a panick situation for a newer shooter because your less apt to accidently pull it if yournerves are on edge and your finger is on the trigger.

Things to consider, I have sigs and XDs both. My night stand gun is a 229.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts