Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been discussed, but I havent seen it here recently.

Anyway, I'm sure all of us have been keeping a fairly close watch on the upcoming election. And whether for better or worse, it looks like Obama is gonna take it. Personally I think that, if he gets in, fairly soon after he takes office Obama will reinstitute the assault weapons ban (probably within six months or so). While I really dont think that pistols are gonna be illegal to buy, I do think that the old 10 round limit is gonna be back in effect, and pistols that are "California compliant" are gonna be the norm across the country. This is just my personal opinion, and not what I was wanting to discuss.

The real question that I have is this; do the "California" pistols, that I think we may all be dealing with soon, have anything physically different about them that makes it impossible to use the high capacity magazines with them?

Could a person buy a few high capacity magazines now for a pistol that they want, xd45 or xdm for example (pistols known for their high round count), and not worry about it? Or would they be better served trying to come up with the funds for the pistols themselves?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have the normal 16-rd mags for my XD-9, including the couple extra when I bought the XD Gear pack in addition to my XD. Even tho I was thinking about trading my XD (which I probably won't do) I was going to keep the extra two mags just in case. Nice to know they're compatible with the CA models. (Thanks, anto!)

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Please use the correct terminology.

It's not "high capacity". It's "Standard Capacity". Anything less than standard capacity is "crippled capacity".

High capacity would be anything that holds more than the standard factory magazines.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It's not "high capacity". It's "Standard Capacity". Anything less than standard capacity is "crippled capacity".

High capacity would be anything that holds more than the standard factory magazines.
LOL, my apologies :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'll be picking up 4 or 5 more 13 rounders for my xd45 just in case.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts

Thank you, I get tired of trying to get people to use the correct terms. "hi-cap" is a term used by the antis to make our guns seem even more evil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My State laws refer to anything more than 10 rounds as high capacity. Than again my state has an application for a conceal carry permit but you can't get one because they refuse to issue any.:-x

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank you, I get tired of trying to get people to use the correct terms. "hi-cap" is a term used by the antis to make our guns seem even more evil.
Am I wrong, or was the "standard capacity/crippled capacity" post really serious? I thought it was a joke.

I've always known them as high capacity magazines. After all thats what is printed on the case that the pistol comes in and in the springfield catalog. Shoot, springfield is calling the magazines that come with the xdm "mega capacity".

So what is incorrect about the terms I was using?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
In most of the US you buy a XD9 and it comes with 16 round magazines. IMHO those are "standard" capacity magazines. It's what the magazines were designed to hold and what they hold unaltered. You can put a extended base plate on them which gives you 2-3 extra rounds.

In some states they have ignorant laws that restrict the ability of law abiding citizens to own magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. So the magazines are MODIFIED to hold no more than 10 rounds. Those magazines are "crippled" or "restricted" capacity magazines.

As has been said the whole "high capacity" thing is something that the anti gun people use to make something sound evil.

Other loaded terms are "assault rifle", "high-powered assault rifle" AK47, barrel shroud, bayonet lug, flash hider and pistol grip.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In most of the US you buy a XD9 and it comes with 16 round magazines. IMHO those are "standard" capacity magazines. It's what the magazines were designed to hold and what they hold unaltered. You can put a extended base plate on them which gives you 2-3 extra rounds.

In some states they have ignorant laws that restrict the ability of law abiding citizens to own magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. So the magazines are MODIFIED to hold no more than 10 rounds. Those magazines are "crippled" or "restricted" capacity magazines.

As has been said the whole "high capacity" thing is something that the anti gun people use to make something sound evil.

Other loaded terms are "assault rifle", "high-powered assault rifle" AK47, barrel shroud, bayonet lug, flash hider and pistol grip.
I understand what your OPINION on what magazines should be refered to is. I'm merely saying that the proper term for magazines holding more than 10 rounds (as stated in the xd catalog on the springfield site) is that those are "high capacity" magazines.

If you can show me some documentation from Sprinfield that shows that these magazines are, in fact, "standard capacity" than I will gladly concede your point. But from what I'm seeing, these are technically called high capacity magazines.

Here's a link to the springfield armory store, where it says very plainly that magazines over 10 rounds are "high capacity:

.40 S&W : Springfield Armory Store

And some examples from the site:

40 S&W 12 RD High Capacity Magazine

40 S&W 12 RD High Capacity Magazine for full size XD's
XD5011$24.95

... more info

40 S&W 10 RD Magazine

40 S&W 10 RD Magazine for full size XD's
XD0940$24.95

... more info

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
If the ban goes into place, you can still get 10 rounders nationwide. Don't forget that the .40 10 rounders can hold 15 rounds of 9mm IIRC.
Don't count on it;)

Politicians are stupid, and Obama voted in the past for a complete ban on all semi-auto weapons ... I am not thinking such legislation would come to pass ... But when the circus is in the big top ... Let's just say ... IMO, Someday they will try to make anything more powerful than a rubber band illegal.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lawmakers are stupid...don't they realize most of these mass murders (which aren't "ended early" by an armed citizen) last for hundreds of rounds and often dozens of reloads? That the difference between "High Capacity" magazines and "Standard Capacity" magazines, legally, only means the bad guy will reload 2-3 more times before ending their slaughter...

Not one of them has told me how this, honestly, helps me.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

By that token my converted Saiga would be high capacity, considering original factor configuration is for 10 rounds.

XDs are definitely the handgun platform that has benefitted most from the sunset and could look like depressing times if anything more than 10 rounds gets banned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts