Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there ANY way that someone could make a 20+ round magazine for a hi-point? I mean, it's a great gun for the price, but the limited mags just bring it down...a lot. I've seen the 15 round pro mags, but have heard they SUCK. Plus, it's only 5 extra.

Is it at all possible to fit a double stack mag in there, if the grip were modified? Would the receiver allow for it? I mean, even if you had to completely modify the grip, could something be done?

Just trying to see if anyone out there is willing and able to take on something like this. I'd have to imagine they would sell well if they were reliable. I know it's probably not too hard to get a 20 round single stack...but that'd be one huge mag.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Dunno know where you heard Pro-Mags suck. I have eight of them for my Beretta CX4, and they feed perfectly, as well as the factory mags I have for the same weapon.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Dunno know where you heard Pro-Mags suck. I have eight of them for my Beretta CX4, and they feed perfectly, as well as the factory mags I have for the same weapon.
I hope you played the lottery on the same day you bought your Pro-Mags.

You can search any firearms forum and spend a long time looking for statements like yours.

As a matter of fact, your feedback makes 3 times I've heard positive things about Pro-Mag (aside from "they make great failure drill mags")

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I assume you're talking about the carbine, and not the pistols.

I think the solution would be to set it up with a magazine forward of the grip. If you lengthen the receiver and bolt, you should in theory be able to make a cut for a magwell a few inches in front of the grip. From there you'd have to engineer a mag that is double stack and bottlenecks down into a single stack configuration for feeding. In order to make a double stack magwell to feed from the grip, you'd have to widen the grip, bolt, and receiver. You'd also have to redesign the feedramp to feed from a shallow presentation.

In all honesty, the Kel Tec would probably be the better weapon to modify. I'd love to see one that accepts XD full size mags.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I hope you played the lottery on the same day you bought your Pro-Mags.

You can search any firearms forum and spend a long time looking for statements like yours.

As a matter of fact, your feedback makes 3 times I've heard positive things about Pro-Mag (aside from "they make great failure drill mags")
Hm. I've used Pro-Mags in my AK, Browning Hi-Power, mt CX4, Beretta M9.... no problems in any of 'em.

Just luck, I reckon.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe some of the resident engineers can chime in and tell me if I'm retarded or am on to something :cool:

Here's what I posted on a different forum:

"Here's something I did up in MSpaint. Do any of the more knowledgeable people here think this design would work?

forgive me for the VERY crude drawing...the black circles would be the "follower", and would consist of cartridge shaped plastic pieces. The yellow circles are actual cartridges. The red lings indicate where two of the follower rounds would be linked somehow, and would be able to rotate (i.e. they're not fixed, you can straighten them out in a line). My idea is that as you fire the gun, the rounds are channeled into the single stack portion of the mag, which will be put inside the grip of the gun. When you near an empty mag, the follower cartridges would hit the ramp on the mag case and enter the single stack portion where they would straighten out and continue to push up the remaining bullets.

Is there any merit to this design? Possible? Bunch of crap?

Like I said...I have no idea what I'm doing."

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler to retrofit a Thompson drum to load 9mm.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Maybe some of the resident engineers can chime in and tell me if I'm retarded or am on to something :cool:

Here's what I posted on a different forum:

"Here's something I did up in MSpaint. Do any of the more knowledgeable people here think this design would work?

forgive me for the VERY crude drawing...the black circles would be the "follower", and would consist of cartridge shaped plastic pieces. The yellow circles are actual cartridges. The red lings indicate where two of the follower rounds would be linked somehow, and would be able to rotate (i.e. they're not fixed, you can straighten them out in a line). My idea is that as you fire the gun, the rounds are channeled into the single stack portion of the mag, which will be put inside the grip of the gun. When you near an empty mag, the follower cartridges would hit the ramp on the mag case and enter the single stack portion where they would straighten out and continue to push up the remaining bullets.

Is there any merit to this design? Possible? Bunch of crap?

Like I said...I have no idea what I'm doing."
It's definitely going to be prone to jam where it bottlenecks. I have seen similar magazines for sale online for other weapons. Might be worth it to buy one to reverse engineer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts