Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After stalking the forum for a year now I have finaly joined. I purchased a XD-45 a year ago this month. Today believe it or not I finaly fired it. I already have a question to ask due to something I have never seen before useing other firearms.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You must have an incredible amount of self-control to have such a beautiful piece of mechanical art for over a year and just now have begun to shoot it!:lol:

You will find that most questions here are responded to, so shoot away! (No pun intended!)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the welcome. I tend not to rush to fast with a new gun. I was gonna ask this question. Today when I fired it, thirty nine rounds total. I picked up a few of the caseings from the 1st 2 clips. All of the caseings were what I believe to be burnt or had a heavy layer of powder coating on 1/4 of the spent cases. I am not sure what to think of this, being it is the 1st time I have seen it. I am assuming because it is unfired till today that I am seeing just dirt from the gun oil where it is striped off the clip and chambered. When I say 1/4th I mean as in a forth of the spent case is dirty starting from the front and thinning to the rear. Any ideas. I am being cautious because two years ago my Savage 22LR ruptured a few remington rounds in the chamber. I like to see what my guns do as far as wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
weird...I've never noticed that on my XD...was yours cleaned prior to taking it out shooting? and what ammo are you using? lets see if we can get some of the more knowledgeable people on the board to give their input as well....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like a bit of blow by from before the case has fully expanded.

I always get a little blow by on one side of my fired cases. I will try to remember to take a picture of one of my fired cases tomorrow and post it. I don't think its anything to worry about.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cleaned it and reoiled thursday night. I am useing Wincheaster white box. I do not think it is so much as blow by, I am more certain it has to be from striping and loading since its on one side. I can not think of any other reason. It tapers off on the case. Third mag it was fairly light. I just thought of that. So again I would assume maybe to much gun oil not that I do not try to keep it light. If it were blow by I would think it would be felt as the gases vent. I could be wrong. I just finished cleaning it and to me it was pretty filthy from 36 rounds haha. Thank you for replying as every bit helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
White Box, black chamber..........................LOL

They do tend to be a tad "dirtier" than higher priced rounds, Try some Blazer Brass and see if it does it as bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I cleaned it and reoiled thursday night. I am useing Wincheaster white box. I do not think it is so much as blow by, I am more certain it has to be from striping and loading since its on one side. I can not think of any other reason. It tapers off on the case. Third mag it was fairly light. I just thought of that. So again I would assume maybe to much gun oil not that I do not try to keep it light. If it were blow by I would think it would be felt as the gases vent. I could be wrong. I just finished cleaning it and to me it was pretty filthy from 36 rounds haha. Thank you for replying as every bit helps.
Your extractor pushes the case to one side before it is fired. There is plenty of room in the chamber for a tiny gap to be created. Not surprising at all that it is only on one side. I just checked some of my cases and I can see it only on one side as well.

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Richard.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Ohio.

When I starting reading about the dirty cases, the first thing that came to mind was: "Wonder if he is using WWB ammo?" :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts