Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This forum was recommended to me by the guys over at USN. I'm looking to purchase a sidearm and I am really liking the the subcompact. I have a question though: Does anyone know how the .40 version feels compared to the 9mm version? Is the recoil much greater or barely noticeable? Thanks for any opinions...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Noticeably different. Its a while nother beast, at least to me. If its a range gun, you would have a more pleasant time with the 9mm, but if its for duty, 40SW is not bad. Its not real bad recoil, but its quite snappy. After a couple hundred rounds through it, my hands could definitely feel it. My whole hand was a bit sore for a couple days. Then again, I'm a pansy though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! Thanks. I'm having a hard time deciding between the .40 and 9mm. I should probably stick to the 9mm since - lets' face it - a 9mm rnd will drop a bad guy just as quick as a .40. It holds more, I'm a smaller guy, less recoil, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just put 200+ rounds through my XD40 Subcompact today (no problems feeding Sellier & Bellot, Winchester White Box, Wolf [can you say dirty?], Remington JHP, and Blazer). I can generally put a lot more rounds through a 9mm semi-auto (even with a titanium light frame) during a single session than a 40 - the 40 makes me feel like I need to work out more with my arm when I shoot a lot of rounds through her. Nevertheless, the XD40 SC is my everyday gun though, as I generally make about a 2" group at 7 yards with it (and NOT on a Ransom rest).

You can't go wrong with the XD9 SC. Actually, I was looking to get one in 9mm bitone today to match my XD40 SC...

ppmd

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Your body size doesn't matter. If you are prepare for the recoil, it won't bother you. I have the sc-40 and a Kimber Ultra Carry 3" .45ACP. You just have to be aware of the wipe that you will get from the SC-40.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just don't want to make the mistake of letting "machismo" and testosterone tell me I gotta have the .40 cal version when the 9mm will be just fine for my use - range and personal defense. But I also don't want to short change myself on power either. To be perfectly honest, I've never shot a .40 before, just 9mm (and others). Does a .40 have alot more takedown power or just a little?

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
KDOG said:
I just don't want to make the mistake of letting "machismo" and testosterone tell me I gotta have the .40 cal version when the 9mm will be just fine for my use - range and personal defense. But I also don't want to short change myself on power either. To be perfectly honest, I've never shot a .40 before, just 9mm (and others). Does a .40 have alot more takedown power or just a little?
Does a .40 have alot more takedown power or just a little?
:D Uh-oh... Here we go again.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Buy the .40 and a 9mm conversion barrel. Problem solved.

·
Registered
575 Posts
poortrader said:
Your body size doesn't matter. If you are prepare for the recoil, it won't bother you. I have the sc-40 and a Kimber Ultra Carry 3" .45ACP. You just have to be aware of the wipe that you will get from the SC-40.
I will double that. I bought a Xd-40 SC two weeks ago and the first time I shot it, I wasn't really prepared for the recoil of that high power in that small of frame. Shots got to be all over after a few mag's cuz I got tired. Today I put some rounds through and completely was ready for the gun. Much better shooting today.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The first time I fired a .40, my only thought was "Wow, I was expecting a heck of a lot more recoil than that...". My wife had the same reaction. We had both only fired a handgun in 9mm up to that point. I was surprised because the .40 didn't really feel all that much different than the 9mm in terms of recoil. I was firing a .40 Glock and the XD9 in 9 tha same day back to back. The ammo was Fiocchi FMJ range ammo so they were pretty similar in load.

That being said, I bought an XD9 in 9mm. The ammo is cheaper to shoot and with some good defense ammo, it's right up there in stopping power. Shot placement is the key issue. Get the shots in the right places and caliber won't mater all that much. Dead is dead regardless of the cailber.

·
Registered
49 Posts
gddyup said:
The first time I fired a .40, my only thought was "Wow, I was expecting a heck of a lot more recoil than that...". My wife had the same reaction. We had both only fired a handgun in 9mm up to that point. I was surprised because the .40 didn't really feel all that much different than the 9mm in terms of recoil. I was firing a .40 Glock and the XD9 in 9 tha same day back to back. The ammo was Fiocchi FMJ range ammo so they were pretty similar in load.
Were you and wife using a Subcompact XD? There is a big difference b/t Subcompact vs full-size XDs in terms of perceived recoil.

ppmd

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I own a 9mm Sub and I shot one of the other XDTalk forum member's XD40 Subs.

I was able to shoot them back to back. It was the first (only) time I had ever fired a .40 S&W of any kind.

I was kind of surprised at how little difference I felt.

The argument about effective ballistics will go on forever. The .40 is a more powerful round on paper. I would think it is probably more effective in a real shooting to a measurable degree.

The 9mm is considerably less expensive to practice with. So if you are on any kind of budget, the 9mm may be the better choice. If you don't intend on spending much time at the range, or if cost is not a consideration, then the .40 would probably get the nod.

Practice makes for more accurate shooting. So many would argue that's a considerable advantage for some with the 9mm. Others may say that no matter how much you practice shooting at paper targets that don't shoot back only means so much....which is to say not much. A bigger hole when you DO hit is just better.

Then again, others would say that there are 9mm rounds whose design is so good that they are as effective as the .40 (or a .45 for that matter).

No definitive answer.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with either round.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm. Good info all around. For such a small frame in the SC, I should probably stick to the 9mm...

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my gun shop order me an XD40 Subcompact Bitone in March. Still no gun, and Springfield Customer Service couldn't or wouldn't tell me when to expect it -"We send them to Distributors, not gun shops." Anyone else experienced this kind of delay on this gun? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I had my gun shop order me an XD40 Subcompact Bitone in March. Still no gun, and Springfield Customer Service couldn't or wouldn't tell me when to expect it -"We send them to Distributors, not gun shops." Anyone else experienced this kind of delay on this gun? Thanks.
It is a popular model.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is a all black XD40SC at one local shop. I'm looking for a XD9sc all black and can't find one anywhere either. They are popular and I think Springfield is behind too so it's just a scarce market.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You are very prescient: someone shot with a 9mm will generally be hurt just as badly as if shot with a .40 S&W.

I have; I shoot; I carry .380, 9mm, .40, .45, .38 spec, .357 mag -- not at the same time. My best "shooter" is the XD40SC; when I pull the trigger on that gun the bullet strike will be closer to the aim point than any of the other. :grin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
i went to my local gunstore looking for a XD9SC in all black. Asked the store clerk and he said they didn't have any (I didn't see any on the shelves either). They only had one SC in stock and it was a 40. AND it was already on layaway. He was showing me another gun (don't remember which) and when he went to put it down I saw hiding in the back of the lower shelf a used XD9SC for $400. Snatched it up! :)

Joe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts