Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. names JR new here and pretty new to pistols in general. Only fired a handful and im turning 21 on friday and will be getting my first pistol. iv already decided it is going to be an Xd 40. the only thing im stuck on is whether to buy new or used. Iv found one used for $299 however it dosent come with the holster and extra mags and stuff that you would get if you bought new. any advice for a newbie?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. I have the XD 40 and love it.
Personally I would probably buy new, not for the holster and mag holders but just because you don't know who had it first and the history of it.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
$299 is a really good price, the holster and mag holder aren't really that great. The extra mags from the Essentials give away are nice, but, I personally might just go for the used one, you can buy the mags and still pay less than for a new one. Willow has a good point about the weapon's history though. Go with what you think would be best for you

For a first time shooter, I'd say try to take a basic pistol course, to get some familiarization under a good instructor. Other than that, enjoy the XD, when you get it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do plan on taking the conceal carry course but that wont be for a few months after i get the pistol. My dad qualified sharpshooter in the navy with a pistol and has taught me all the basic gun safety things and some basic shooting skills. Another thing i heard was that Springfield offered a lifetime warranty with their weapons is this true?

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! :D Yes SA does have a lifetime on that XD....but, I think that it extends to only the original owner, that turned in the registration card. A good reason that you may want to consider buying it new.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Do you know someone that is knowledgable about firearms, pistols in particular? If so have them go with you to look at the used one to make sure it is in good condition.
The holstster, mags, etc you can purchase with the money you save between the new and used gun.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from Colroado

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Welcome from Washington State. I'd go for new if I was you. The magazine promotion is great and you'll have the piece of mind knowing that nothing is wrong with th gun.

·
Premium Member
21,412 Posts
hello

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome from Texas!
I have the 4" XD40 high capacity service pistol, and I love it. If I'm not mistaking, I think I read a post on here about how to fully inspect a used xd to make sure it's a good pistol to buy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts