Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm wondering if you guys could tell me the differences between the xd45 service and xd 45 compact. i think i uploaded the picture so if you guys could jsut tell me if i have the compact or service that would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Congrats on the new hardware, Welcome from Sunny South Florida,

Check the Magazines, 10 rounders is the compact.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the XD45 compact is the best of both worlds. you can stay legal if (in your case) you're restricted to 10 rounds, but you can easily "upgrade" to 13-rounds when you're in another state where its legal just by using a 13-rnd mag with sleeve. versatility at its finest.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas, and to the Springfield family.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Although the compact XD-45 model with the short magazine holds 10 rounds, it is normally sold wilh two magazines in the SA package. In most states this package will come standard with one compact 10 round magazine and one full length size 13 round magazine that has a grip filler extension. But you can also buy or special order the CA NY NJ compliant XD45 package that has the same 10 round compact magazine and a full length internally limited 10 round factory magazine. Note: The compact grip is available for both the Service (4") and Tactical (5") barrel pistols. Compliant XD-45s with the full size grip can also be ordered and would come with two full length 10 round limited magazines in the package.
That way you will not have the 13 round magazine of the standard SA package removed from the package (and likely no replacement added) by a dealer to get it compliant for delivery. And you do not have to try a DIY limiting job on a 13 round mag if you move to a mag capacity limited state.

If you purchased a standard package (out of state) while the legal resident of a non-restricted capacity state, you can always order the 10 round full length magazines for the XD-45. If you owned an XDm45, these same 10 round limited full size magazine can be purchased and will function in the XDm if it is otherwise legal.

So if you own an XD Service 45 with the full size grip (as shown in the attached pic of OP), just check the round number indicators on the back of the mag to see if it is a full length standard 13 round mag or the full length internally restricted 10 round mag. There are no obvious differences in the pistols between compliant and non-compliant capacity, the only difference is in internal capacity of the magazine. (There was a CA compliant 10 lb trigger pull weight XD model listed by SA with restricted 10 round magazines, not sure if this is still required or made, it only needed an aftermarket kit to change the trigger weight - just as the limited capacity pistols only need a mag change)

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts