Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at range day yesterday I took 3 pistols out to fling some brass. My P229 .40SW shot fantastic as always in the 9-10 ring. My TRP shoots even more amazing in the 9-10 ring.

And then I pull out my G3 Glock 17...And I cant even get this thing to hit paper. Aiming at the bulls-eye I was lucky if I got into the 7 ring. I just don't get it. I have never been a fan of the factory Glock sights, I definitely want to change it to a 3 dot system, but other than that I really don't know what the issue is. I even put a whole magazine at different corners of the target to see if it was just the sights were off and that was even worse, I felt like I was shooting like a stormtrooper from Star Wars. Do I have to invest in a barstow barrel or something put in it. I am kind of discouraged to take the thing back out to the range cause I felt like I was shooting like a 12 year old girl first time holding a gun.

And I know comparing a 229 and a TRP performance to a G17 isnt fair, but at the same time I think I should be at least be able to get into the black on a target with the rounds at least.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Shoot it from a rest - just because it's a Glock doesn't mean there can't be something mechanically wrong with it. Also, have you shot any lead bullets through it? If so, your barrel may be leaded which can cause bullets to keyhole or fail to stabilize. What type of ammo were you shooting? Factory or no-name gunshow reloads? Plated bullets, or FMJ?

With Tula/Wolf 115gr 9mm I can get my G19 to shoot like this at 7 yards standing (I'm far from a great shot, too), so it's definitely not a lack of inherent precision in the pistol:

That was the first 16 rounds I shot from the pistol after I bought it.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Your other guns have fantastic Single Action triggers. The Glock not so much.

Get a 3.5 lb connector and you'll probably do a bit better and with enough practice you could definitely get close to that level with the Glock.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Your other guns have fantastic Single Action triggers. The Glock not so much.

Get a 3.5 lb connector and you'll probably do a bit better and with enough practice you could definitely get close to that level with the Glock.
You know, I noticed that and failed to mention it because I went off on a tangent. An excellent point. The Glock trigger definitely makes you "work for it" if you're striving for accuracy. It's not a bad trigger (don't get me started on the XD's), but it's not as simple as the decent break you get on a nice 1911 or Sigs.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
I'd suggest an aftermarket 3.5# connector. You can install it yourself. I like the Lonewolf, Glockworx and Ghost Ultimate connectors.
Stage your first shot and shoot subsequent shots from the reset position.

Probably nothing wrong with the Glock.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
On my Glock 21 FDE I have the Ghost Rocket 3.5lb trigger kit with the 6lb self defense spring and the trigger pull is just right.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's on your end. :cool:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Starting with better triggers and larger calibers might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Spend more time with just the pistol

Dry fire and watch the front sight to see if you're jerking it.

If you're any kind of shooter, a 5.5lb glock trigger shouldn't keep you from groups in the 10 ring.

I'd have another shooter try it out and go from there. Preferably a Glock shooter if you can find one.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
No disrespect, but it's probably not the gun. This is coming from a guy who has been there lol.

I gave been shooting 9mm Glocks for a few years, and bought a 30s earlier this year. I shot it horribly left in the beginning. Had to adjust my grip & trigger finger placement slightly from that of my 19/26, and I was tearing up the center @ 10 yards.

I'm also a fan of a 3.5# LWD connector, 6# trigger spring, and a polish job. Glocks advertise a 5.5# pull, but most of mine averaged 6.5-7.5 with the gauge placed in the middle of the trigger. My setup averages around 5#, nice & smooth.

I would also recommend plenty of dry firing & range time. Please keep us posted! ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
At 7 yards you should be seeing excellent shooting. If you can find a known good shooter (of Glocks) to test it that would be good. Alternatively, shoot it first your next time out before you get tired at all from other shooting. Good luck with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts