Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I stumbled onto this sight a few months ago while beginning my search for a new handgun. All of your posts were the diciding factor to end my quest with the purchase of an XD-9 Sub. I've done as much reading on these posts as my eyes can take but still have a few questions. Please pardon if they have already been answered in other posts...

1. Has a consensus been reached on the promag 32rd magazines? Are they worth the $40 or is the purchase of a few 40cal mags a better choice for higher cap.?

2. Being a poor college student, I was not able to purchase my XD brand new, therefore i didn't have the option of the stainless slide, SOOOO.... is it worth the effort for DIY DuraCoat or should I just send it back to SA or should i have a 3rd party do it? (figuring in labor and $$$$$)

3. Off topic, but do any of you own or have experience with a Walther P99? I love how they look (really pretty like the XDs) but have yet to hold or shoot one. I'm thinking it may be my next investment.

Any input would be helpful and appreciated. Also, anyone around the austin/san antonio area looking for someone to shoot with give me a buzz.

Peace out

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have owned and shot a 9mm P99. I liked it but ended up selling it to purchase something else. It was accurate but just a little quirky for my job. Mainly the hammer drop and partial cock by pulling back the slide a bit. I think the P99 is being replaced. I have looked at the P990L and almost bought one but picked up the new Kimber Tactical Pro II 9mm instead.

My .02 cents on gun finish is get what you like. It’s your gun and some finishes are more durable then others but it really comes down to what you like. I’m going to be sending my XD9 service in for a chrome slide finish.

·
Registered
427 Posts
3. Off topic, but do any of you own or have experience with a Walther P99? I love how they look (really pretty like the XDs) but have yet to hold or shoot one. I'm thinking it may be my next investment.
I had one but traded it in! I did like it but I came to dislike the way that it shot! Has a funky grip angle like the Glock's! I would hold and shoot one first before deciding. It may be wierd for me but different for you!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Pro-mags are a waste of money wait till pistol-gear get 12 rounders in 23 bucks and they work :D
Why buy p99 when you can have another XD for 100 dollars less.I have herd the triggers are squishy :oops:
P.s. The pistol gear forum has a texas link for shooters
I have one armory coated scratches easy and took nearly three weeks
My next recoat will be gun coat slide only Rich at canyon creek is reasonable and Quick 8) Normally less then week :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome aboard. Slide refinish is best at Canyon Creek or equilivant. Pistol Gear is a great place to spend your money. As for the P99, it is a good handgun but I would want to shoot one first. I have heard good things about them but if you like the XD why change? Good luck and happy shooting.

·
Registered
260 Posts
TheDrake said:
3. Off topic, but do any of you own or have experience with a Walther P99? I love how they look (really pretty like the XDs) but have yet to hold or shoot one. I'm thinking it may be my next investment.Peace out
I believe the P99 is identical to the S&W99 that my son-in-law bought (.45 cal). I just shot it again the other day. He shot my XD40. He's a beginner handgunner but liked the XD better. I, too, prefer my XD to the SW99. Much better trigger. A function of single vs. double action no doubt. I do like the sites on his Smith better than my XD sites.

WyoBob

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
My XD-9 Service (Black) was also bought used. I have put several thousand rounds through it so far, used it in rainy weather (pacific NW), and it is also my primary CCW at this time. I have not done any refinishing and no rust or other finish problems. I would hold off on the duracoat, but if you must have it get it done professionaly (unless you are familiar with bead blasting and have access to the necessary equipment).

I used to own a Walther P99 in 9mm. It was a great gun with two caveats. One, the heavy long DA pull would always cause my shot to go high and left of point of aim. Through training I was able to minimize this but in a stressfull defensive situation I had a decent chance of missign with the first shot. Two, the way the trigger guard is shaped would often pinch my trigger finger between the trigger guard and the trigger (I have big hands). Otherwise the gun is great and has wondefull ergonomics. If you buy one, try to get an older one that was imported by Interarms. The ones that S&W has imported/had anything to do with are POS. Get the original frame if possible.

The SW99 is also a POS. I bought a SW99 in .45ACP shortly after I got my Walther P99. The Walther was an Interarms imported gun, bought used from a range that went out of business, was one of their rental weapons. The Walther was way more accurate and the SW had one other problem. It seems the morons at S&W short chambered the gun, the slide would close enough to let the safety interlocks fire the gun but there was about 1mm gap between the slide/chamber face and the barrel. Evertime it fired I got showered by debris flying out of the breech. I took the gun back to my shop and got my money back when I found that out and showed it to them. Luckily it was a very visible defect once you knew what to look for. I will never buy anything that S&W has touched ever again. Additionaly a year or two back there was a comparison between the SW99 and a Walther P99 by one of the gun magazines. The Walther is a better gun, more accurate when they fired it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
R/T Performance said:
P.s. The pistol gear forum has a texas link for shooters.
Yes, it does. Thanks for the shameless plug, R/T.
We are based in Houston, but have two members from the D/FW area. We would certainly welcome an Austin/San Antonio shooter. Drop me a PM if you are interested. There is a direct link at the bottom of my signature (TXDPSA).

Don't waste your time/money on the 32 rd ProMag. If you want extra cap, try using the .40cal SC mags or these.

Don't sweat the finish. It should not be a big deal if you take proper care of your XD. A little holster wear is common (as with most pistols), but I carry my SC 9mm everyday, and have had NO rust problems. Wait on the refinish until you absolutely need it.

If your SC didn't come with them, do yourself a favor and get a couple of these!
They make all the difference in the world for the SC grip. They will fit 9mm or .40 mags (if you decide to go that route for extra capacity).

Good luck.
Enjoy your new SC!
Come shoot with us some time.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
It is funny you pointed out the link, as they are perfect for what he needs. We have four 9mm sleeved mags coming in tomorrow, available to anyone who wants them. First come, first served, as always.

As to the finish, being that you are on a budget, I would leave it as is until you have a problem with the finish. A little Armadillo will keep you XD looking good. If you want to change the color, that is another story. Rich at Canyon Creek can set you up with that.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I am getting what I can, in whatever caliber I can get. Right now, just 9mm, sorry. I should get some more 40s next week. I have a few sources working for me.

I do have a couple of 40 hi-cap mags, without the sleeves!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts