Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

I was bitten by the XD bug awhile back. I'd been looking at them for some time and ended up picking up a used XD9 service for a reasonable price awhile back. I read a bunch of posts here, purchased a guide-rod and spring combo, shot 800 or so rounds and had a canyon creek trigger job done which helped tremendously. I'm heading out of the area for awhile on biz and will most likely get a DuraCoatfinish put on the slide while I'm gone. Reason for this post: First - this is a great site, great topics and great discussion which undoubtedly saved me a bunch of time and money - thanks to all!! Second, I experienced two fail to fire's in 50 rounds during the last range trip. UMC 115 FMJ's. Looks like a light strikes on the primer. First prob I've had with the gun since I've owned it. I've owned hunting firearms and some other handguns for the last 30 yr's or so and know how to care for firearms in general. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, how was the situation corrected?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have about 300 rounds thru my XD9 without any jams or fail to fires, But today at an outdoor range I had 4 F2 Fire out of two factory magazines. Kind of frustrating and did not shoot after the 2 mags.
The failed rounds had barely an impression from the fire pin. A very shallow indent.
Any ideas?
Similar to Skitts problems.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Sometimes with some trigger jobs they lighten the striker spring strength. Then if you combine it with some brands of ammo have harder primers then others. I would first try a different ammo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dbird:

I switched ammo - WWB, Federal - and continued to shoot mine with no further issues. Interestingly enough, after a thousand or so rounds of the other, I ran more UMC through with no issues. Like anything mechanical, it must have just needed more cycle time to break in. I've had no F2F, F2E or F2Fire since switching and I've done quite a bit of range work. Keep shooting - I'll bet the problem will work itself out!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replys. It just seemed wierd to have problems in such concentrated # of rounds. I will find some WWB and run more shots thru it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it's any consolation I had 4 "fail to fires" out of 100 UMC rounds about 3 weeks ago out of a glock 17. I subsequently fired 100 failure free rounds of mag-tech 9mm. So, I think it probably was a ammo issue for me. Interesting that your "fail to fires" happened with UMC too...

·
Registered
290 Posts
If the gun has a lot of rounds through it, you might need a new recoil spring. If it is worn out, that can cause the gun to not return to battery. Leaving extra space between the pin and the primer, causing a light strike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
a question for those that have FTFs, do you try again with that round (rechamber/fire again?) or do you just eject the round and leave it??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts