Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alrighty. Objective one accomplished (acquired a lower). I'm learning to cope with the anxiety of having so many choices to make, and I think I'm ready to start ordering some parts. Time to design a rifle!

First off, I love all things AR. I've never seen an AR I didn't want to own. So, I can go in a lot of directions with this. I'm pretty open to ideas here.

I have a few personal objectives with this rifle. It will be only my second rifle. My first being a 10/22 that lives at my parent's house. Everything I've learned about guns has been self taught. With this rifle, I really want to improve my skills as a marksman, with scopes and iron sights both.

I love tacti-cool rifles, I really do, but I really have absolutely no need for a completely urban-combat rifle. I have an XD45 (awesome guns, those XDs... ya'll should check em out ;) ) for home defense. I think a bone stock M4 is beautiful, rails and accessories are badass too, but I think for this build I'm going to try to go with a longer gas system (probably the middle one, possibly the longest), as from what I'm reading, that's a big factor in accuracy.

Cost is definitely a factor here as well. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a show rifle. I want to put thousands of rounds through this rifle. I want to be able to be on the range and not worry about a scratch or scuff on the finish. This rifle will see no duty or home defense use, so I'm OK with components that aren't the top of the line. When I'm rich, I'll build or buy a top-of-the-line AR, but for now, I want something I can have fun with.

Like I said, cost is a factor, and I do plan on shooting A LOT, so I'm very interested in some of the .22LR options. I see different kits and stuff. It appears as though you can buy entire .22LR uppers, or just buy replacement parts for .223/5.56 uppers. If I want to go down this road, is one options superior to the other? I kind of lean towards a .223/5.56 upper with conversion parts, so I don't have to buy and equip to seperate uppers. But if replacing parts and shooting A LOT of 22LR ammo through a .223 upper would cause damage or increased wear in some way to it, I'm open to having two uppers. Any thoughts on shooting .22LR?

Taking all of the above into account, I picture in my head a tactical/compact sniper set up. I definitely want a collapsible or fold-up stock. I think I'd like to have rails on the front. I think a bipod is in order, but I'd like to be able to attach/detach it quickly and, if possible, with no tools. Do bipods have their own mounts, or do/can they go on rails?

Because I'd like it to be an accurate rifle, free-floating rails and a full-length gas system seem to be optimal, but I don't know enough about shooting and ARs to know how much these things matter with accuracy. Something like floating rails just may be past the point of diminishing returns for MY particular situation. I really don't know. Like I mentioned, I'd like a collapsible stock. I'm thinking that might look dumb with a full length barrel/gas system, so perhaps the mid length is what I should look into.

I really want to get good with the AR iron sites, but I do want to some flexibility for optics, so perhaps a flat top upper with flip-up BUIS? If I become highly proficient with these after-market, flip-up iron sights, would the skills translate directly to the A2 style sights? I'm trying to get in the military (have been for several years now), and if it finally works out, I'd really like to really be able to rock the M16 marksmanship training. Ideally, after shooting this rifle, I'd feel at home with an M16A2.

SO.. as you can see... it's all very simple. I want everything in one rifle. One cheap rifle. :)

Really though, I'm imagining something kind of flexible, something that could serve as a short/mid-range sniper rifle, but would still maintain some usefulness in close-quarters.

Nothing here is set in stone, I'm very open to ideas, advice, knowledge, suggestions.

Thanks for reading! Sorry for such a long post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really want to improve my skills as a marksman, with scopes and iron sights both.
I'm very interested in some of the .22LR options. I see different kits and stuff. It appears as though you can buy entire .22LR uppers, or just buy replacement parts for .223/5.56 uppers

Ok First off .22LR is not really a very accurate round compared for a 5.56 (not that its not accurate)
Second. The conversion kits are far less accurate than say a spikes dedicated .22LR upper. The spikes dedicated .22LR are very accurate for a 22 even better than a 10/22.

Cost is definitely a factor here as well. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a show rifle. I want to put thousands of rounds through this rifle.

Ok well if cost of the rifle for you is a big factor than i would guess so is the ammo. In that case you need to look at the fact that you can shoot 1000 rounds of .22LR for about $30 but is will cost you around $330 for cheaper 5.56
So if lots of shooting on a budget is what you want to do than a .22LR upper is definitely you best option

if replacing parts and shooting A LOT of 22LR ammo through a .223 upper would cause damage or increased wear in some way to it, I'm open to having two uppers. Any thoughts on shooting .22LR?

.22LR is lead and its soft IT WILL NOT HURT 223 or 5.56 barrel. but you run in to problem with getting you 5.56 upper full of dirty ammo **** because of shooting the .22lr in it. As stated above a dedicated .22lr is a better option for you

YOUR OTHER QUICK QUESTIONS

Free float rails? You will never see the difference in accuracy TRUST ME

Rails? cheap but ok= YHM or you can keep your eyes open on ebay for a KAC which is the best and could get it and panels for around 200

Bipod? You need and adaptor

Optics? well frankly if you want cheap then you cant get optics LOL Start with your iron sights (get a regular front sight post and a flip up back on a flat top so you can put an optic on later... dont worry the post wont get in the way of your optic)

I think i kind of hit most of your questions if not you can IM me and ask more. Getting into AR's is very overwhelming with lots of people telling other people false information or having you spend money on things you TRULY DONT NEED.

If i had to build a gun off what you have said i would complete the lower you had with the cheapest parts i could find off of EE at ar15.com then top it off with a Spikes .22LR dedicated upper with a flip up front sight.. Have you shoot that for awhile and buy your other extras a piece at a time.

GOOD LUCK BROTHER

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Taking all of the above into account, I picture in my head a tactical/compact sniper set up. I definitely want a collapsible or fold-up stock. I think I'd like to have rails on the front. I think a bipod is in order, but I'd like to be able to attach/detach it quickly and, if possible, with no tools. Do bipods have their own mounts, or do/can they go on rails?

Sounds like you want something like this.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chris514scott:

Awesome reply! Thanks a lot.

Those .22LR uppers are starting to look pretty nice.

That's very close to what I was picturing in my head! Think something like that would be accurate enough to take down a deer or smaller animals at 200+ yards shooting .223?

Damn that's a sexy rifle.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
That's very close to what I was picturing in my head! Think something like that would be accurate enough to take down a deer or smaller animals at 200+ yards shooting .223?

Damn that's a sexy rifle.
That rifle with the proper loads should be able to shoot 600 yards accuratley. One of these days I'll find a range with lanes long enough to try it out. :D

It is an 18" Kreiger SPR barrel. 1-8 twist
The rifle is styled after the Mark12 Mod1 series

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

Should I just go buy a pre assembled AR? Or do you suggest a build. I think it would definately be easier for me to buy one, then just make the adaptations to it. yeah? Any suggestions on which one? I've seen all urs...so far you the man for me to ask...lol...

I'm budgeting about $1500.00 for it. Is that enough? I too would like to take out a squirrel from 200 yards. ( squirell is my pet name for intruder) lol

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Should I just go buy a pre assembled AR? Or do you suggest a build. I think it would definately be easier for me to buy one, then just make the adaptations to it. yeah? Any suggestions on which one? I've seen all urs...so far you the man for me to ask...lol...

I'm budgeting about $1500.00 for it. Is that enough? I too would like to take out a squirrel from 200 yards. ( squirell is my pet name for intruder) lol

Build: Depends on your skills, tools, and knowing what parts to pick

Buy: Factory warranty, update as you go.

Budget: You may want to budget more than $1500 for a rifle like mine.
There is around that much in the upper alone. :shock:

To the OP....I know you said

SO.. as you can see... it's all very simple. I want everything in one rifle. One cheap rifle. :smile:
but what you described isn't going to be cheap. ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just sent a payment for a used upper.

Used complete upper, built by J&T Distributing. It's a 20" heavy, with flat top receiver and railed gas block, but comes with A2-style carry handle and front sight!! So I have my iron sights like I wanted, but can easily throw on a scope later on!

The long barrel should be more falls more in line with the accuracy objective, less in line with the tactical object, but I'm ok with that. I've been thinking about buying two uppers, anyways. 1.) a long barreled, rifle glass block upper in .223, to learn to shoot well, and 2.) a short carbine upper built for .22LR to shoot a lot of crappy ammo with.

I just couldn't decide on which caliber to shoot, so I'll pick up both. The .223 now, and I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a .22LR upper later on when I'm ready to put more money into it.

Thanks for all the advice guys/girls! I'll update when I get it assembled.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up an A2 stock today from the local dealer. $60 brand new, with all of the internal parts (buffer, tube, spacer, spring, all that crap I have no clue the purpose of). I thought that was reasonable.

At this point, I'm looking for the following, if anyone has anything from this list they'd like to part with let me know:

• A stock. Got one, but I still might be willing to spring for a Magpul UBR or one thats like the LMT SOPMOD stock, used or new
  • Railed hanguards
  • Mags I have two, but will always consider some PMAGs or straight (10/20 round) mags.
  • Bipod. If it can attach to the rails, great. Otherwise I'll try to pick up a rail/bipod adapter. I'd really like something that's quick to attach/detach
  • Ammo
  • Nice trigger
  • Nice grip
  • Anything else you think I might need!

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Sorry I missed your earlier posts.....that Sabre upper is nice.

Where did you get the used 20" ? JTac builds some nice uppers, that's who put thogether the one on mine in the pic above.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I missed your earlier posts.....that Sabre upper is nice.

Where did you get the used 20" ? JTac builds some nice uppers, that's who put thogether the one on mine in the pic above.
I put up a WTB post on AR15.com, and a guy got back to me with that J&T upper. He says it's got about 50 rounds through it. Gave it to me for $350 shipped.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Oh, OK...J&T.......must be getting tired :lol: my eyes saw JTac.

Good Luck on the search for the rest of your "quest" :cool:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Picked up an A2 stock today from the local dealer. $60 brand new, with all of the internal parts (buffer, tube, spacer, spring, all that crap I have no clue the purpose of). I thought that was reasonable.

At this point, I'm looking for the following, if anyone has anything from this list they'd like to part with let me know:

• A stock. Got one, but I still might be willing to spring for a Magpul UBR or one thats like the LMT SOPMOD stock, used or new
  • Railed hanguards
  • Mags I have two, but will always consider some PMAGs or straight (10/20 round) mags.
  • Bipod. If it can attach to the rails, great. Otherwise I'll try to pick up a rail/bipod adapter. I'd really like something that's quick to attach/detach
  • Ammo
  • Nice trigger
  • Nice grip
  • Anything else you think I might need!
I love my SOPMOD Stock. You'll love the second your cheek hits it. Mine's not for sale :) You're on the right direction for railed handguards. DD Omega 7 free float is the direction I'm going as soon as Christmas arrives. Anyway, if you really want Pmags, call J&T distributing in Winchester, KY---They had some at the last gun show in Lexington. Also try out some Lancer L5 mags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts