Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my daughter has been bugging the heck out of me to take her hunting for the last couple years. Shes 12 now but VERY petite so finding a gun to fit her (even a youth) has been very hard. I finally told her I would take her next year. For Christmas I want to get her a first gun. I originaly was going to get her a Remington 870 JR (smaller than a youth) but that wouldnt give her much to do during the off season. I mean who wants to shoot slugs for target practice (slug only state). Then I saw the Rossi Trifecta at Dicks for $199.00. I thought that was a pretty good deal but its single shot and the quality isnt there like other manufactures. Well, I finally decided the hell with it, I'll buy her a quality .22 that she can own for a lifetime and pass down to her kids one day. I didnt want to get her a semi-auto and bolt guns are overly common. I started searching and found the Henry .22 lever youth gun. This seems like the perfect little .22 and when deer season hits next year, I'll just go buy her the Remington JR or get it for her birthday. The .22 will give her a chance to shoot her OWN gun with dad and should put quite the smile on her face.

Has anyone had much experience with Henry guns and is there any reason I should steer clear of them?

Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have never shot the short stocked youth model but I own 2 of the full lennght weapons. My son and I have put around 2500 rounds thru each without a problem. The are exellent firearms and I strongly recommend them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the fullsize that I bought about 10 years ago or so. I had a problem with the extractor, broke 2, but both were replaced by Henry for nothing. I have about 5000 rounds through mine now, and have worn out the carrier once, and that was also replaced for nothing. It is a fine rifle, very accurate and the smoothest lever action I have ever shot. Henry CS is great too. You cannot go wrong with these guns. Your daughter will love it.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I don't own a Henry myself but a long time friend of mine has a Henry Golden Boy .22, next to our 10/22s, Henry lever action .22s are in my opinion some of the most fun shooting .22s money can buy. We've shot countless rounds out of his Henry and have zero complaints.

Your daughter will love it if she can pry it out of your hands ;-)

·
Registered
555 Posts
My brother recently bought what looks like that same gun but in .17HMR

He bought it from a friend that just didn't like the round so wanted to get rid of the gun.

I've shot it a few times and its a great fun gun. Customer service is good too. I say go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So my daughter has been bugging the heck out of me to take her hunting for the last couple years. Shes 12 now but VERY petite so finding a gun to fit her (even a youth) has been very hard. I finally told her I would take her next year. For Christmas I want to get her a first gun. I originaly was going to get her a Remington 870 JR (smaller than a youth) but that wouldnt give her much to do during the off season. I mean who wants to shoot slugs for target practice (slug only state). Then I saw the Rossi Trifecta at Dicks for $199.00. I thought that was a pretty good deal but its single shot and the quality isnt there like other manufactures. Well, I finally decided the hell with it, I'll buy her a quality .22 that she can own for a lifetime and pass down to her kids one day. I didnt want to get her a semi-auto and bolt guns are overly common. I started searching and found the Henry .22 lever youth gun. This seems like the perfect little .22 and when deer season hits next year, I'll just go buy her the Remington JR or get it for her birthday. The .22 will give her a chance to shoot her OWN gun with dad and should put quite the smile on her face.

Has anyone had much experience with Henry guns and is there any reason I should steer clear of them?

Thanks
I have one of the full size versions of this rifle and it is a decent made begginers rifle and plinker. Good accuracy and tolerant on many types of ammo. These type of rifles are great for learning the basics.:D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one of the full size versions of this rifle and it is a decent made begginers rifle and plinker. Good accuracy and tolerant on many types of ammo. These type of rifles are great for learning the basics.:D
Glad you like hers, ive gottem ,ixed reviews on another forum, most suggesting to go with a another brand but I have to stress PETITE here. I have a 10/22 that she has shot but its a tad to big and I really want her to have her own gun. She shoots the hell out of my 2 Buckmarks so she knows how to shoot. I cant wait to see her eyes light up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
U wont regret getting her the Henry! i bought one for my self just for the heck of it a few years ago and after thousands of rds through it i have had nothing but fun out of it! very accurate and very fun to shoot!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Another plus for the Henry is that its one of the lightest rifles I've ever shot. That might help if she ever takes it out in the woods for a few hours.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Glad you like hers, ive gottem ,ixed reviews on another forum, most suggesting to go with a another brand but I have to stress PETITE here. I have a 10/22 that she has shot but its a tad to big and I really want her to have her own gun. She shoots the hell out of my 2 Buckmarks so she knows how to shoot. I cant wait to see her eyes light up.

You're getting better advice here because were a classier group of people then all the other forums.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I bought my Wife a Golden Boy .22 Win Mag two years ago.
We liked it so much, I bought myself a Big Boy .357 Mag
I can not get over how smooth the action on the Henrys are.
It's like butter.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice looking guns. I ordered my daughter the lever action youth gun today. They said it will be in friday this week!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very nice looking guns. I ordered my daughter the lever action youth gun today. They said it will be in friday this week!
You'll love it, ich.

I got that exact gun for my son on his 6th birthday, and it is very light and smooth. We...yes WE...shoot the fire out of it!!!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I have shot a few Henry rifles and they are awesome, but I absolutely love my Savage Mark II. If you were interested in a bolt gun I would steer you that way.

The Henry rifles are almost too nice to use if you want an heirloom. The stocks are very nice and will inevitably get scuffed up with use. Something in a synthetic stock would weather the years a little better and give you an excuse to buy her another gun.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
My boy has the same model and loves it. I plan on buying another for my 4 year old. He's not ready to shoot yet, but I want to make sure I have one. I also own the 17HMR version. You can't beat Henry's actions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts