Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Springfield XD-9 subcompact. The pistol is new; it only has 26 rounds through it. I took it out to the range for the first time on Saturday, and on the 27th round, it chambered the round WITHOUT the firing pin being cocked and is jammed in such a way that the slide cannot be pulled back more than about 1/4 inch. The live round is stuck in the chamber, and I cannot seem to get it out, and I don't know of any way to disassemble the pistol without removing the slide. Springfield won't touch it, being there is a live round in the pistol, and I really don't know what to do here. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I don't have an XD in front of me, and even if I did, I wouldn't know where to start, so I'm not really much help.

However, if you'll wait a few hours, ajames will more likely than not be on here sometime and he'll hook you up. He's a very smart and knowledgeable guy. (Not to put the pressure on ajames, of course :)).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing from him

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
If James is unable to help you, there is a possible alternative, contact a local range and talk with one of their experts if they have one. I would not bring the gun to him due to the situation of course, but they might see their way to coming to you if they are not too far away.

Another, perhaps more radical solution, by some people's thinking, might be to call the local le at their range if you can obtain their number (you might try to get the number for their academy as the range probably will be there). As long as you are legal and I presume you are, you shouldn't have any problem with the police once you are specific in your explanation and put the weapon exactly where they tell you to for officer safety prior to their arrival. They will probably send out one of their rangepeople, armorers, etc. to take care of the problem. I believe they will be quite eager to assist you in ending the problem so no one gets hurt. Since no crime has been committed, only a malfunctioning gun, you would have nothing to worry about.

Tho I am embarrassed to admit this, I had an incident a few days ago with a weapon I have owned for years. The malfunction was mine, not the gun. Yes, I am retired le, but I honestly believe it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. A SWAT Sgt. came and was able to get the rounds out of the stuck cyclinder. He probably told the story at briefing and all had a good laugh. I had a safe gun.

Let us know what happens please. Good luck.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can't be fired; the firing pin is not in the "ready" position, and since the slide can't be pulled, it cannot be made ready.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Can you post photos of the gun as it is?

Matthew

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could, but it looks like a normal xd with the slide closed and the loaded chamber indicator up.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something is preventing the slide from moving back, any thoughts on that? The grip safety has been held everytime, too.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Wow. :shock:
Never heard of that before. The only suggestion I have is to jam a pencil eraser or wad of folded paper into the 1/4" opening if you attempt to free the slide youself. That should help to prevent an AD if you inadvertantly set the firing pin.
Good luck. Please post what you find to be the cause of your failure.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I had this happen to me with a 1911. As ridiculous as this sounds, you have to get tough with it and force that slide open. I took two of us, one to hold the pistol and the other to get that slide racked.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
ranburr said:
I had this happen to me with a 1911. As ridiculous as this sounds, you have to get tough with it and force that slide open. I took two of us, one to hold the pistol and the other to get that slide racked.

ranburr
I 'm thinking the same. I suspect the ammo is not sized right.

Is the extractor still hooked on the rim? Remove the magazine and inspect looking up thru the mag well. If so then grip the slide firmly in one hand, and slam the web of the other hand into the grip safety, forcing the oversized round out of the chamber. This only sounds drastic, but is ok if that is the problem.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help guys, but nothing seems to be working. Ok, just before the fatal jam, the pistol stovepiped. At that point, the magazine was ejected, which cleared the stovepipe. However, there was a live round behind the stovepipe, so the slide slammed forward with the live round, which leaves us where we are now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One simple question? Are you sure you have the back strap safety depressed all the way? The XD will not let the slide rack back much more than a ¼ of an inch) unless you are squeezing the safety. So mag out, compress the safety and try again. I only ask as it sounds like the gun is new to you and it's a feature you might not be aware of.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I had someone else point this out earlier, but that was not the case; the safety has been depressed every time. I am wondering, however if the safety is broken or something, causing me not to be able to pull the slide back.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
retired said:
If James is unable to help you, there is a possible alternative, contact a local range and talk with one of their experts if they have one. I would not bring the gun to him due to the situation of course, but they might see their way to coming to you if they are not too far away.

Another, perhaps more radical solution, by some people's thinking, might be to call the local le at their range if you can obtain their number (you might try to get the number for their academy as the range probably will be there). As long as you are legal and I presume you are, you shouldn't have any problem with the police once you are specific in your explanation and put the weapon exactly where they tell you to for officer safety prior to their arrival. They will probably send out one of their rangepeople, armorers, etc. to take care of the problem. I believe they will be quite eager to assist you in ending the problem so no one gets hurt. Since no crime has been committed, only a malfunctioning gun, you would have nothing to worry about.

Tho I am embarrassed to admit this, I had an incident a few days ago with a weapon I have owned for years. The malfunction was mine, not the gun. Yes, I am retired le, but I honestly believe it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. A SWAT Sgt. came and was able to get the rounds out of the stuck cyclinder. He probably told the story at briefing and all had a good laugh. I had a safe gun.

Let us know what happens please. Good luck.
+1 on this suggestion. The local police should be anxious to help you out. Let them know that you believe it's in an unsafe condition, you want to avoid an AD at all costs, and you need help now (humble, courteous, respecful, but insistent). As retired said, ask them for procedure in transporting your weapon to them. You owe it to yourself and everyone around you to get it resolved quickly and safely. Best of luck to you, and stay safe.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
sjp2452, thanks for the words. With all due respect, the only thing I would like to correct is that I said put the weapon, per their directions, in a safe place prior to THEIR arrival. Let the police come to you, don't transport the gun to them for safety/legal reasons.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts