Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to purchase an xdm. The one in the link I provided down below. I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions on this gun. Does anyone have any experience with this package? Is the barrel in this deal different than a stock 5.25? Seems to me the trigger job is done by Springfield custom shop.

DAWSON LIMITED CRP SPRINGFIELD Custom Shop XDm 9MM Bi-Tone Pistol Springfield XDM 5.25 LCRP 9mm 5.25 Bi-Tone Finish Limited Competition Ready Dawson Ice Magwell Dawson Optic Front Sight 3 Dawson Tooless Basepads Dawson Blk Grip Tape Dawson Grey Basepad Tape Detail Page

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well.. first what are you wanting to do with it? Shoot Limited USPSA? IDPA? Range toy? I would have to look at the numbers.. but I would think you can buy a 5.25, PRP trigger, magwell and some base pads and do the work yourself cheaper. But I might be wrong on that.. like I said I would have to do the numbers and its to late for that tonight.. lol. If you want to shoot Limited USPSA I would strongly consider moving up to a 40 though. The one you linked shows a 9mm. That is unless youre already a fast double Alpha shooter.. in that case 9 that bad boy up! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well.. first what are you wanting to do with it? Shoot Limited USPSA? IDPA? Range toy? I would have to look at the numbers.. but I would think you can buy a 5.25, PRP trigger, magwell and some base pads and do the work yourself cheaper. But I might be wrong on that.. like I said I would have to do the numbers and its to late for that tonight.. lol. If you want to shoot Limited USPSA I would strongly consider moving up to a 40 though. The one you linked shows a 9mm. That is unless youre already a fast double Alpha shooter.. in that case 9 that bad boy up! :)
I actually just picked up a 5.25 9mm yesterday. I don't plan on any competition shooting. I just want the setup for target shooting. I really like the way the guns look setup for comp though with the basepads. Beautiful guns!! Now it's time to buy some upgrades for this bad boy

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! If its going to be a range king I would start with a trigger. You don't need a magwell, extensions, etc just to shoot it straight. :)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I actually just picked up a 5.25 9mm yesterday. I don't plan on any competition shooting. I just want the setup for target shooting. I really like the way the guns look setup for comp though with the basepads. Beautiful guns!! Now it's time to buy some upgrades for this bad boy
If its a range toy, it needs nothing but MAYBE a trigger kit. Putting anything else on it is a waste for punching static paper @ fixed distances.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 5.25 and it is very accurate out of the box! The only thing I would put on it is possibly a trigger kit from PRP. Save some of the money on the accessories and buy mags!!
Congrats on the purchase!!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
. I don't plan on any competition shooting.
I would encourage you to reconsider this idea. I say this because many don't feel 'competitive' about shooting, but this is definitely a sport where you don't have to be competitive to compete. You will meet some fantastic people and likely develop some friendships. There is all kinds of support at these matches and people share their experience and tips...some are actually helpful;). A small percentage are truly competitive, the rest of us like to shoot, be around shooters, improve ourselves and get better, regardless where we place. The only condemnation you will receive is if you are unsafe, and that will only come to full bear if you don't listen or want to learn. There are folks out there who will never be 'good' but they have a blast shooting every week or more because it is just plain awesomeness! Heck, they likely have way more fun than the 'good' guys!

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I took advantage of a break in weather to take my new 5.25 in 40 to the range. I'm not thinking about changing a thing. My only regret for the day was not getting to the range earlier to allow more shooting time.

I had heard some were disappointed with the trigger on a gun that SA calls a "competition" model but I'm satisfied. The pull is smooth and not heavy. Reset is a little long but certainly not offensive.

I remember apprenticing under an old die maker while complaining about having to use an old and worn machine to make some fussy parts. He told me that learning to make perfect parts under less than perfect conditions is an important lesson and a skill that few can master. I believe the next few months working aside him on that machine was the most valuable lessons I ever received.

I think mastering the many skills of shooting would be much the same.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I took advantage of a break in weather to take my new 5.25 in 40 to the range. I'm not thinking about changing a thing. My only regret for the day was not getting to the range earlier to allow more shooting time.

I had heard some were disappointed with the trigger on a gun that SA calls a "competition" model but I'm satisfied. The pull is smooth and not heavy. Reset is a little long but certainly not offensive.

I remember apprenticing under an old die maker while complaining about having to use an old and worn machine to make some fussy parts. He told me that learning to make perfect parts under less than perfect conditions is an important lesson and a skill that few can master. I believe the next few months working aside him on that machine was the most valuable lessons I ever received.

I think mastering the many skills of shooting would be much the same.
The XDM/XD triggers vary a lot from gun to gun. Some are ok, some are terrible. If you got a decent one, shoot it as is, it will get a bit better. My 5.25/40 trigger was terrible, my friends was actually pretty decent, I might not have spent the $$ to change his.
I tend to agree, learn on ok gear, then go to better will only make the jump easier. BUT, learning to shoot well with a crap trigger is like trying to learn to play golf with kids clubs; sure you can learn but your curve is very steep.

Reactions: XDmax

·
Registered
716 Posts
The XDM/XD triggers vary a lot from gun to gun. Some are ok, some are terrible. If you got a decent one, shoot it as is, it will get a bit better. My 5.25/40 trigger was terrible, my friends was actually pretty decent, I might not have spent the $$ to change his.
I tend to agree, learn on ok gear, then go to better will only make the jump easier. BUT, learning to shoot well with a crap trigger is like trying to learn to play golf with kids clubs; sure you can learn but your curve is very steep.

Are you talking about my XDm ?

I actually like the stock trigger on mine but after shooting the setup that Fred has I will be putting a kit in all 3 of my XDm guns.

Prp will be the kit

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Are you talking about my XDm ?

I actually like the stock trigger on mine but after shooting the setup that Fred has I will be putting a kit in all 3 of my XDm guns.

Prp will be the kit
Yeah your trigger isn't terrible. Another 1000rds it will be better still. For most shooters, it would be good enough. Now if you want to go faster & hit stuff, PRP trigger.:D

Reactions: XDmax

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yeah your trigger isn't terrible. Another 1000rds it will be better still. For most shooters, it would be good enough. Now if you want to go faster & hit stuff, PRP trigger.:D

Haha.
Me hit stuff.......never if its a white steel target.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm sure Springfield Armory has a team of lawyers who advised them that there's no way in hell you can put a 3.5# competition trigger on a competition gun and sell it at retail unless you want to get your a** sued off. Put on the same long & heavy (5.5-7.7#) trigger you have on all your other polymer pistols and you can't be sued for having a "dangerous" or "negligently" short & light trigger. Those who really want a competition trigger on their competition model can send it to your custom shop at a cost of $225 and get the trigger it would have come with if not for our highly litigious society. That trigger is quite nice & befits a competition gun (I have it).

·
Registered
347 Posts

So the top is the 45 tactical, bottom is the 5.25 xdm 9mm.
Can drive nails with the 45, can barely keep two inch groups with the xdm. Now I need to mention round count, 45 is unknown or allot, 9 mm is around 300. Have a long way to go before I count the xdm out. But I will probably do the PRP kit on the xdm and not touch the tactical.
Also I love those pachmayr wraps on those guns.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I'm sure Springfield Armory has a team of lawyers who advised them that there's no way in hell you can put a 3.5# competition trigger on a competition gun and sell it at retail unless you want to get your a** sued off. Put on the same long & heavy (5.5-7.7#) trigger you have on all your other polymer pistols and you can't be sued for having a "dangerous" or "negligently" short & light trigger. Those who really want a competition trigger on their competition model can send it to your custom shop at a cost of $225 and get the trigger it would have come with if not for our highly litigious society. That trigger is quite nice & befits a competition gun (I have it).
FWIW, that thought process would be the same for the manuf doing a trigger job; same liability, so it makes no sense. It doesn't have to be 3# but a clean 4-5#, short reset & over travel would be nice on a pistol sold as a competition model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts