Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched through the forums trying to see if someone had a similar problem but could not find anything I’m not even sure if this is a problem but I wanted to ask you all that would know about it.... do you all know if this is normal for a primer to have a gash in it... it looks like the firing pin isn’t coming back fast enough or something after it strikes the primer anyone know if I’m just worrying or do I really have a problem with my XD?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Intresting. I have 2 fired cases I kept. The one I am looking at now is that exact same round, 40S&W Winchester, although, when holding it up to the screen exactly like yours is placed in the picture, I also have a slight gash, but going to the uprightward side, pointing at the "&". My gash doesn't seem to be as long as yours though, yours seems to almost touch the outter ring.

The other round is square in the middle with no gash, its also a 40S&W but says *I* instead of Winchester, I don't remember what that was?

It also appears you have a large dent along with the gash.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This round that I scanned was laying out in my yard and had dirt on it and prob. been stepped on which explains the dent in the side of the casing but all the rounds I shoot are like this my Federal was like this as well...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not the dent in the side, right there in the middle, but bigger than the middle hole. I am new and don't know the names of everything. Where the striker hits the primer I guess is what its called. Thats dent number one. Deep which looks normal. But dent 2 is twice as big, lower than dent number 1. You can see how the light bounces off it. Dent 2 is glaring the light very bright basicaly, check it out.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The firing pin has not fully retracted as ejection of the spent brass takes place. You might blast some cleaner down the firing pin hole or disassemble the firing pin/striker assembly and clean. Does it do this with another brand of ammo? A slightly hotter load might, through inertia, cause the pin to not be fully retracted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
mine did that a little bit on the WWB, but whatever the *I* symbol identification means is another shell, I cant remember what ammunition its from, but it didn't do that at all. (the little gash)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Smeared primers are considered normal but a lot of us XD owners. Myself included.

Never caused me any problems...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright thanks for your alls help i just noticed it the other day and thought it might be because i dry fire alot....

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Primer strikes such as these can be caused by: high primers if you are reloadind, and dirt in you firing pin hole..It can also be caused by weak firing pin.

Clean out the firing pin, do not lube up the area as this will only attract dirt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
****, I think I may have gotten some lube around that whole for sure, I know I did get some in the "little spring" in the firing mechanism though?!!?? :oops: What do I do, am I going to **** my gun, please tell me I didn't, I am going shooting tomorrow, help.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went to the gun shop where I bought the pistol they took it and spayed some cleaner in where the pin is and had a bunch of gunk come out so they threw the slide in the ultra sonic cleaner.... lots of gunk came out hopefully this fix's that dent...

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
just got back from the range

here are 4 casings

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yours does it too i guess its a normal thing for the XD??? well as long as it still goes bang when i squeeze the trigger i dont care if it dings the primer thanks for your pix

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I would not worry about it, in high pressure rounds like the 40 and I will guess that its 180 gr. But since its high pressure it throws the the slide back while the firing pin is still out at the same time the barrell is moving down you get a smear. If your really worryed about gunk why not just disassemble the side and take the firing pin out. If you get into trouble give me a call at my toll free number (listed on my website) and I will talk you through it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Can you get a bigger pic? I can't see the individual atoms making up the brass. :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
In the issue of guns n ammo HANDGUNS, Oct/Nov 2004 on pg 71 on the top left side picture, shows the same problem. On the next pg. ,the author says that the ,Smeard firing-pin indentation of the XD might have been trying to UNLOCK early. I hope that helps.

And man I knew I read that before, it was like finding a needle in the haystack. :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts