Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I have a Streamlight TLR1 and an Insight M6X (not exactly the one you have listed).

Very happy with both of them. I don't think you can go wrong with anything from either company. Both Streamlight and Insight are very good lights.

The only thing I could add is to think about how many lumens you will need on a light. I would think if it is for inside use anything in the 80 lumen range is fine. You may want a higher lumen rating if you think it may be used outside where you are not in a more confined space and the distances you may be looking at will be more than 20-30 feet which is probably the longest distance you will need in a home.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose. Any of the models you have listed should work fine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I purchased the Streamlight after a little research. I have not seen the new Insights close up, but I have used a few of the older versions, namely the old M3, and they just didn't feel as quality as the TLR-1. The TLR-1 looks to be every bit as nice as the Surefire, and I like its metal construction and $100 price tag. The Insight is a lighter choice, if that appeals to you. One of my partners that runs the older Insight on his duty light does so mainly because of the ease of taking it on a off, which he does a lot. Mine stays on the gun permanently, so that wasn't as big a feature to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
just for looks, I like the Insight XTI Procyon. solid state led's are hot right now

They all look like good lights, all around 4 oz. the SSL-1 is around 80 lumens while the XTI and TLR-1 are 130 and 135 lumens respectively.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, the only real reason I included the SSL-1 is that it is the only one I've seen in person. Haven't seen it in a dark room, but they had it on display attached to a XD-9. It looked, dare I say, sexy! It was also easy to manipulate on/off. But its only 80 lumens.

The other two I haven't seen in person, but they are both higher in lumens as you had indicated. Having no idea of what 80 lumens translates to, I am going by the bigger is better philosophy and leaning towards one of the others since they are about 75% brighter. The TRL-1 is $90 while the XTI is $130.

So by process of elimination, I am leaning towards the TRL-1. Unless the XTI is far superior? I wouldn't mind spending the extra if the XTI is far and away better than the TRL-1.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yah, the only real reason I included the SSL-1 is that it is the only one I've seen in person. Haven't seen it in a dark room, but they had it on display attached to a XD-9. It looked, dare I say, sexy! It was also easy to manipulate on/off. But its only 80 lumens.

The other two I haven't seen in person, but they are both higher in lumens as you had indicated. Having no idea of what 80 lumens translates to, I am going by the bigger is better philosophy and leaning towards one of the others since they are about 75% brighter. The TRL-1 is $90 while the XTI is $130.

So by process of elimination, I am leaning towards the TRL-1. Unless the XTI is far superior? I wouldn't mind spending the extra if the XTI is far and away better than the TRL-1.
It depends on what you are using it for. For inside your own home, 80 lumens is plenty. I use mine for that, but also for clearing houses. For inside other places, I like all the light I can get. The difference is you know where everything is in your own place. When your clearing a home or business you've never been in before, you better be able to see everything possible. That said, the TLR-1 is still a killer deal.

The lumens rating isn't everything, remember. The way the light is distributed is much more important. Nice even flood is very important for indoors. A tighter hotspot for more throw of the light is better for outdoors. All things to consider with your intended usage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts