Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased an XD40 SC. I took it to get it registerd Thursday, I went to the range that night. While in the process of cleaning my weapon I noticed a few deep scrathes on the slide. I'm not sure if it happened at the police station or while transporting it. Does anyone know if Springfield will correct this or how I can go about getting these scratches repaired. This has been bothering me every since I noticed them. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
pictures

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It's a plastic gun, it is not supposed to be pretty. My suggestion is to get a higher quality finish put on it and then shoot and abuse the crap out of it. The reason that I am transitioning to the XD is that I get too worked up over scratches on my 1911s. I look at the XD as a good, inexspensive pistol that is no big deal if I put a few ugly marks on. It just makes it look tougher!

ranburr

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
In the future you might consider buying a soft sided case to transport your pistol. Cardboard box, Plastic box or any other factory shipping box has never been my favorite way to store my pistols.

I don't think handling scratches are covered under warranty, but who knows?

Some pictures would help so we can suggest something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey I really appreciate the responses. I'm going to try and post some pics on here as soon as I get my new camera loaded. Thanx again

·
Registered
122 Posts
FYI: A refinish won't allways remove deep scratches. SA will not polish off the scratches. Thay do remove the old finish and apply a new one but this does not remove all scratches. The finish is quite thin and so are the refinishes like Armor Kote or Black T. Nothing too thick can be put on as it inhibits the fitting of parts. A refinish will protect any exposed areas where bare metal was showing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If the scratches were caused by the takedown lever (this happened to me as well) then you can cover these by use of a blueing pen. I bought one at Academy, cleaned the affected area (the grip serrations at the left rear of the slide) and applied the blueing. It blends in quite well, and unless you hold the gun just right in good light, you can't tell where the scratches are. I'm not sure how bad your scratches are, but this may be an option for you. I've seen these pens at Bass Pro and other gun shops as well, so finding one shouldn't be a problem. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx again, I think I'll try the blueing pen. Looking more into it, I found out that it was the take down lever that scratched it. Thanx for the info I'll let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cheer up :D its a gun ,a gun is a tool and if you use it and carry it.Its gonna get scratched.Thats the best part about an XD you can use it and abuse it :twisted: .I have a Glock 19 that dont even have finish left on it.I'm working on my XD 40 service, wear is a beautiful thing.Say it with me "Wear is a beautiful thing" Its like your baseball glove that looks like hell .You know the one that looks like its been eaten by a wolf and **** off a cliff.But you know when you slip it on you wouldnt trade 10 new ones for it.Now i need to go and wipe my eyes :cry: .This has been an emotional post . Later BigA

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
BigA said:
Cheer up :D its a gun ,a gun is a tool and if you use it and carry it.Its gonna get scratched.Thats the best part about an XD you can use it and abuse it :twisted: .I have a Glock 19 that dont even have finish left on it.I'm working on my XD 40 service, wear is a beautiful thing.Say it with me "Wear is a beautiful thing" Its like your baseball glove that looks like hell .You know the one that looks like its been eaten by a wolf and **** off a cliff.But you know when you slip it on you wouldnt trade 10 new ones for it.Now i need to go and wipe my eyes :cry: .This has been an emotional post . Later BigA
I'd hate to see what your car looks like! :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL :lol: , I can agree about the scratches. Its just that when I first got it, like two days later I had already scratched it and at first I was feeling all f#$ked up. Its cool now though, I plan on keeping my XD for quite some time. Later

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well i do have a jeep comanche that looks like hammered hell.But it is my fishing ,hunten,hauling,run in the ditch truck.But in all seriousness i understand scratching your new gun.Just ragging you but i do have 2 old shotguns and a 1911 that i take really good care of.My XD can take a licking and i dont have to worry about it thats why i bought it.Thier great guns i consider them combat weapons.I bought the guns and ammo handguns issue with the torture test in it.It goes to show what these guns can take.We ought to be proud to own one of these fine weapons and that we have a right to own firearms. Later BigA

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
add me to the list...

I was curious how I got it, couldn't figure out what I did to get that scratch. Now I know. Friggin lever. I hate you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's what you want to use and it's available now:
http://www.bluewonder.us/catalog/pr...id=30&osCsid=3814d09221dbfa1295114c9bece0aa73

I asked about this stuff as touch-up for XD's and here's the response:

Yes, we will be coming out with Blue Wonder Gun Black. It is in production as we speak! Blue Wonder Gun Blue will get very dark and does a pretty good job. I touch up my XD from time to time with it. However, the Blue Wonder Gun Black will do a much better job. No matter how dark the Gun Blue gets, it is still blue. Black is Black.

So, the answer to your question would be, how big a hurry are you in to touch it up. If you can wait 30 days or so, I would wait for the black. If you have a date and want your XD dressed up pretty, then I would get the Gun Blue now.

Hope that helped!

·
Registered
146 Posts
13M20 said:
Hello all I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased an XD40 SC. I took it to get it registerd Thursday, I went to the range that night. While in the process of cleaning my weapon I noticed a few deep scrathes on the slide. I'm not sure if it happened at the police station or while transporting it. Does anyone know if Springfield will correct this or how I can go about getting these scratches repaired. This has been bothering me every since I noticed them. Any help would be appreciated.
You had to register your gun?? :shock: You must live in a commie state like Kali or Illinois.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts