Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are hosting a church youth group bonfire/cookout/hangout this Saturday at our home. I have a shooting range and I have been asked if the kids could shoot guns. I said I am fine with that as long as we have signed consent forms from the parents and each kid has ear protection. I am expecting about 10 kids with the youngest being a 7th or 8th grader. My thoughts are in no particular order.
  • Consent forms and ear protection.
  • Go over 4 rules of safe gun handling.
  • One kid at the shooting table at a time.
  • One round in the gun at a time.
  • Browning Buck Mark and maybe a rifle.
  • Maybe a prize for the best shot or most improved.
What else?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Maybe put the guns on the consent form? So that way it's cut and dry.

Reactions: unclejed

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That about covers it. I would point out the very real consequences of accidents with a firearm and pay close attention to the ones that don't seem to be listening.

good job, stay safe!

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That about covers it. I would point out the very real consequences of accidents with a firearm and pay close attention to the ones that don't seem to be listening.

good job, stay safe!
Absolutely no doubt about that. I know most of the kids or I would be reluctant to do it.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
That pretty much covers it.

You may want another adult to at least supervise the other kids while you work with the one at the firing line.

Let me know if you need copy of a consent form. I have one that I used for Boys Scouts and 4-H. They are in word doc format so you can edit as you need.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
I thought you were under attack from the thread title...

And what ES said. At least one more adult... or duct tape. LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Make sure you have a high adult/kid ratio. Make sure those adults are responsible and will take their job seriously. Make sure they're familiar with the NRA's gun safety rules. Make sure there is NO alcohol involved. Remove any distractions when the kids are at the range. Keep the kids in a clearly-defined safety area -- you may even want to rope it off.

This may be overkill, but young kids are very impressionable, so you may as well make a good impression on them by showing an abundance of safety measures.

Oh, and when they are done shooting, bring out the Desert Eagle and make a watermelon disappear! :D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I'd say make sure there is an adult watching at all times while shooting. Set very strict rules for what they can do with the gun maybe? The guns stays on a bench/desk always pointed away from the rest of the party. Kids basically walk up with the gun already set up, go through safety checks, fire and never really move gun much except to aim. Just my thoughts I'd be extra safe if I didn't know the kids.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would appreciate that form greatly. Can you PM that to me.

I will have one shooter at a time and another experienced shooter watching non shooters. Liability insurance is piad up.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I just want this to be a safe and positive experience.

Reactions: drs1321

·
Registered
741 Posts
Kudos for being willing to do this!

Maybe introduce them to more than one type firearm? .22 pistol, .22 rifle, 20 ga shotgun?

Like someone said, make a watermelon or a water filled milk jug explode so they can see the destructive power.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Maybe a dry fire table as a staging area for the on deck shooter with an instructor there as well. Kid gets some dry firing in while waiting for his/her turn. Then rotate.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Maybe a dry fire table as a staging area for the on deck shooter with an instructor there as well. Kid gets some dry firing in while waiting for his/her turn. Then rotate.
They might get bored with that pretty quick. I remember in a NRA HS class i was at (briefly) that there were rifles and shotguns up on the table for them to cock and unbolt and rack and drop hammers on. of course, they were supposed to be cognizent of the safety rules while handling, but there was no danger as they were innert samples from the NRA.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
They might get bored with that pretty quick. I remember in a NRA HS class i was at (briefly) that there were rifles and shotguns up on the table for them to cock and unbolt and rack and drop hammers on. of course, they were supposed to be cognizent of the safety rules while handling, but there was no danger as they were innert samples from the NRA.
Bored with five mins of dry firing right before getting to shoot a real live evil gun with real boolits? If that's the case, these kids are not ready to shoot.

·
Premium Member
127,988 Posts
Get written permission from Bloomberg before you proceed! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts