Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Remington Wingmaster in the local toy store today, looks to be 90~95%. Visually, it looks like a super-size version of my Fieldmaster .22 (which seems logical), and has the safety and pump release in the same locations. I presume it is one of the myriad of 870 variants.

It does not have a sight rail across the top (figure one can be added later). Barrel appears to be 26~28". The tag sez $249.

Deal or no deal?

Also can you hunt deer and other similar-size critters with slugs, or is that a waste of time?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
It's not a "sight rail" it's a vent rib. And it would be cheaper to buy another barrel than try and add a rib to a barrel that doesn't have one.

That's not a bad price though.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Seems a touch expensive to me for a bottom end (which it is) 870 without a Vent rib. GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction is a great place to do price comparisons, as much as I hate Wal-mart, they usually have that shotgun for 290 or so.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
There are a lot of shotguns out there that are really inexpensive. Yes, slugs work GREAT for deer. Look around and see if you can find what you want (vent rib or otherwise). Oh yeah, 250 is a soso price for that gun.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
$250 for a used 870? Look around, you should be able to find better than that. You could probably even find a brand new one for about that, or a Mossberg 500 for even less.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Remember though that the wingmaster is a more expensive model of the 870. I paid $230 for my 870 express at WalMart a few years ago. It came with a 28" vent ribbed barrel.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There was a 870 express 12 gauge with hogue stock and truglo sights on it in the local paper here for 250.......I wanted it but I am broke

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Sounds like an earlier Wingmaster. The older ones did not come with a ribbed barrel. I have an early 70s Wingmaster 16ga that does not have a rib. My brother has Dad's old 12 ga from the early 80s and it too has no rib.

The Wingmaster was actually a fancier 870, with polyurethane glossy fiinished walnut stocks and gloss bluing.

249 bucks for a nice, early Wingmaster is not a bad deal, if its in good shape. You can barely find a new Express 870 for that price these days.

The 870 Wingmaster is a very good all around pumpgun. Very reliable and adaptable to whatever you want to hunt. Change barrels, chokes, stocks and make it anything from a trap gun to a slug gun or waterfowling piece. Hard to go wrong with any 870 Remmy shotgun..they're very good guns.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Has any one ever shot one??? I have shot many Mossbergs old and new, many 870's, I have a Winchester 1300, cycled but not shot (I was in the store) a Benelli Nova. I don't have any friends rich enough to own a Beretta or Browning, or other super highend shotguns so I've never shot one of those types. IMHO 870 Wingmaster wins hands down. For me it was the smoothest cycling, best shooting shotgun I have ever shot!!! It is a Higher end 870 not low end. 249 is a sweet price and you can find 870 barrels which are usable on the wingmaster for about 100 bucks on gunbroker. Like Brickboy said very versatile gun go for it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
if it says remington & 870 on the gun... it gets my vote every time :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts