Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so fed up with my xd-40 sub that i might trade it for a glock ! I have had it since 8/04 and taken it to the range twice everytime i take it i get FTF i have even tried to use diffrent ammo. My gun also seems to have a problem getting the mag to seat. It will go up the well , but it will not click into place. It will however seat pretty good if the slide it back , but otherwise i cant really get it to seat. My mag release is really hard to push , alot of times I have to use both thumbs just to get it to release ! Do you all think I should just trade it in and get a glock or call the factory and get them to replace my gun? Has anyone ever had to replace their xd subs? Thanks JC

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am so fed up with my xd-40 sub that i might trade it for a glock !
Your loss. I looked for an XD40SC forever. Only one I found was one some idiot tore up with a dremel tool.

My gun also seems to have a problem getting the mag to seat. It will go up the well , but it will not click into place. It will however seat pretty good if the slide it back , but otherwise i cant really get it to seat.
Does this happen with a mag that is not full? If not, then it's really normal. At least for the XDs I've heard about. Just push a little harder. It's not that tough. The problem is that the top round is pushing against the slide. When it's full, it's a little harder to compress the spring in the magazine and seat it properly.

My mag release is really hard to push , alot of times I have to use both thumbs just to get it to release !
Sounds like my boss's 11 year old... He has the same problem. You could always try to sling-shot the slide... just pull it back (Slide release will let go) and let go. One quick action. As you use the slide release, though, it will get easier to disengage as the metal grinds away.

Do you all think I should just trade it in and get a glock or call the factory and get them to replace my gun?
I don't think any of your problems are a big enough deal to warrant any of those moves. But if it really bothers you, sell your XD here and get a Glock.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Two trips to the range isn't enough to break in the magazines or the pistol. Tight mags and hard to depress mag releases are normal at first. Try loading one less round for a while. The problem will go away soon enough.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
JC, I would give it a chance to break in. Try keeping your mags fully loaded for a few days, they take a little while to break in. In the Service model I have, I thought it was a 9+1, because I couldn't get a full mag in with a loaded chamber either. Give it a firm push (Don't slam it in like they do on TV) after you get those mag springs broken in a bit, and hopefully that will solve itself. The same thing with the mag release. Work them, drop a mag, reload it, drop it again, and so forth. It SHOULD loosen up for you.

What kinds of ammo are you using? My 40 doesn't like the 180 grain 50 round Winchester white box packs, and even the 165 100 round packs don't feed as smooth as others, though they DO feed. The Blazer Brass slides in like butter though, so you just have to find out what yours likes. You might also try polishing the feed ramp and the little indent on the block that leads to the feed ramp on the barrel. Don't take off material, and be careful not to change the angle; just polish up what is there. This just speeds up what will happen over time with shooting your gun.

If you don't want to do any of that, Springfield will pay to ship it both ways, and will "fix" whatever is "broken", but that means time away from your gun. I prefer to tinker myself, but if you don't, by all means, send it in to them.

If all else fails, and you want to sell it, I'm sure you won't have trouble selling it. Post the info on here, and good luck to you, no matter what you decide.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Absolutely work your mags before doing anything drastic. I still have FTF (that's fail-to-feed) problems with my hi-cap mag--dang spring is tough! I suspect that you may be having the same exact problem that I have. Does the slide stop dead with the round halfway into the chamber? If so, keep it pointed downrange and drop the mag (the release may be especially tough--if it's too tough then pull the slide back and push the slide lock up to lock in place). If the issue is the same, the slide will return to battery, ready to fire. Eject the round or safely fire it downrange--there's nothing wrong with that round. Now, look at the round at the top of the mag. The top of the cartridge may look as though it has been mildly shaved. If so, remove from the magazine, remove any metal burr from the cartridge (pocket knife works ok), and return to the magazine (or safely discard the round if you're not comfortable with it--I haven't had a problem doing this).

If this is your problem, your mag springs are stiff and need to be broken in more.

2nd what Overkill said--if the mag is full you can expect a healthy amount of resistance in seating if the slide is closed. Opening the slide removes the part of the slide that the top round presses up against, therefore the mag will easily click into place.

Next time you shoot and have a repeat issue, follow my procedure above and let us know what happened.

Just thought of one other thing--if the slide is locking open prematurely, adjust your thumbs down. I'm a right-handed shooter, and I cover my right thumb with my left--keeps it from hitting the slide release. Lots of people have this problem. 180gr FMJ rounds can also cause this due to the design of the slide release on the .40.

Give us as much detail as you can!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your feed back! My problem with the mag not seating happens all the time when the slide is forward. It does not matter how many rounds i have in the mag it could be full or it could be 1. The guy at one of the ranges i shoot at has a full size xd and he looked at it. He said he never saw a problem like that. I'll keep everyone updated on whats going on.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That's definitely not right--no question. Call SA and get that puppy in for a checkup. Never heard of or seen that. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts