Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys I have this 229 for a little while now, i babied it quite a bit =)
so usually it stays in the box or in a "plastic" holster
but what the hell, i bought i am going to use it!
so i have gotten a leather holster lately and for some reason it seams that it dries out the slide... i mean i dont know how to explain and it slide just seams to have wax thin coat of... something on it the more i rub it the more "stuff" comes out... i dont know lol
right now it seams all dried bone (slide) is there something on my slide? is this typical of all sig or p229? should i "clean" the whole slide and then lub?

man this thing is getting to me the gun is sooooo ugly after it get unholstered! (not even a word...)

thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't have a sig but when I got a don hume holster for my XD 45 Tactical I noticed that it seemingly removed most of the oil that I had on the gun, leaving it farely 'dry'. After the holser was broken in (I left the gun in it for about a month), I dripped some Hoppes #9 down the inside of the hoster right where the corner of the slide slides in. This helped with how much the leather was absorbing the oil right off my gun. It still rubs off some of the oil from the gun, however, it is much better.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a sig but when I got a don hume holster for my XD 45 Tactical I noticed that it seemingly removed most of the oil that I had on the gun, leaving it farely 'dry'. After the holser was broken in (I left the gun in it for about a month), I dripped some Hoppes #9 down the inside of the hoster right where the corner of the slide slides in. This helped with how much the leather was absorbing the oil right off my gun. It still rubs off some of the oil from the gun, however, it is much better.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
yea see its weird the finish on this gun is... weird i mean i had several blued gun from beretta, walter to even springfield damn even a STI
and none of them had this problem...
it seams that this finish is porous and not smooth and seams that it doesnt have a "protective" coat on it... i dont know if you guys understand me lol

its kinda like some part that is getting ready to get painted and just got primed... "rought"

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
ok guys I have this 229 for a little while now, i babied it quite a bit =)
so usually it stays in the box or in a "plastic" holster
but what the hell, i bought i am going to use it!
so i have gotten a leather holster lately and for some reason it seams that it dries out the slide... i mean i dont know how to explain and it slide just seams to have wax thin coat of... something on it the more i rub it the more "stuff" comes out... i dont know lol
right now it seams all dried bone (slide) is there something on my slide? is this typical of all sig or p229? should i "clean" the whole slide and then lub?

man this thing is getting to me the gun is sooooo ugly after it get unholstered! (not even a word...)

thanks!
I hate to be the one to tell you but THAT 229 has a serious finish flaw and Sig won't even fix it, you should just send it to me so I can properly dispose of it, better safe than sorry. :cool:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is really bugging me!
it seams that there is some "dirt" on the damn slide that i cannot get rid off!
and my nice looking p229 as turn into some mark magnet!!!! arg

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
My new 10mm DW CBOB has a problem of snagging a wee bit of leather on the front sight as I draw it ( EVERY time I draw it! ). It doesn't block the sight it's just this annoying bit of fluff hanging off one corner of it!
BTW I have two W.German 228s so we're in the brotherhood lol

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Take a quart of motor oil and soak your leather holster in it for a few hours, then let it set up and dry at room temperature. Do that every six months.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
yea see its weird the finish on this gun is... weird i mean i had several blued gun from beretta, walter to even springfield damn even a STI
and none of them had this problem...
it seams that this finish is porous and not smooth and seams that it doesnt have a "protective" coat on it... i dont know if you guys understand me lol

its kinda like some part that is getting ready to get painted and just got primed... "rought"

You mean like the XD's original finish? ;) Sigs if stripped of any oil are matte. I have seen some that have an almost parkerized texture.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mean like the XD's original finish? ;) Sigs if stripped of any oil are matte. I have seen some that have an almost parkerized texture.
yes!!!! that it that what i reminds me of
cheap @ss 1911 park. finish!
damn it it really annoys me tho !!!! i dont wanna pay for refinish the damn p299
:(

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The Sig P229 has a stainless slide, you need not worry about it rusting or anything else. Its a very good quality steel. I own 2 of them and they do not get babied. One has seen lots of USPSA matches in inclement weather and the other one is one I use for hiking, camping, etc...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Sig P229 has a stainless slide, you need not worry about it rusting or anything else. Its a very good quality steel. I own 2 of them and they do not get babied. One has seen lots of USPSA matches in inclement weather and the other one is one I use for hiking, camping, etc...
yea i know...
but the finish still bothers me...

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
yea i know...
but the finish still bothers me...
John Norrell Arms

Order a bottle, buy a cheap airbrush and you will have a durable finish. Ive done numerous guns of my own and friends, some on this board, and its a really nice finish. No need to oil the finish and you can coat the inside of the slide as well. If you want a smoother finish, dont preheat the slide as much, for a flatter and courser finish, take the temp up to 250-300 before you apply it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John Norrell Arms

Order a bottle, buy a cheap airbrush and you will have a durable finish. Ive done numerous guns of my own and friends, some on this board, and its a really nice finish. No need to oil the finish and you can coat the inside of the slide as well. If you want a smoother finish, dont preheat the slide as much, for a flatter and courser finish, take the temp up to 250-300 before you apply it.
i know how to AB
but upon applying the coat would it look like a "painted" slide?

thanks

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
They have gloss finishes so yes, it would be a smooth finish.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have gloss finishes so yes, it would be a smooth finish.
yea i am probably gonna go with mat
but what i am trying to find out would be be ugly and look like i just took a can of paint and sprayed the slide
or would actualy give me a professional look on it assuming that i can AB

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't oil your holster. It will cause the leather to stretch. Instead, use silicone spray. This will seal the pores of the leather, lessening the "thirsty" effect, and will allow for a smoother draw, decreasing the friction and wear factor.

As for the slide, soak it in a heavy coat of CLP for a day or two. Stick it in a ziploc bag with a liberal amount of CLP, so that it has nowhere to evaporate to. That ought to do it. When SIG's Nitron finish first came out, people were skeptical. It has proven to be a tough finish that is extremely corrosion resistant. It does have a different color to it. it is more of a gray finish rather than a jet black, and I've found that this becomes more apparent with age.

For what it's worth, I hate Kydex. It scratches your firearm immediately, as opposed to the honest wear given from a good leather holster. I'd much rather "earn" the wear rather than immediately ruin my pistol's finish, but that's just me.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
yea i am probably gonna go with mat
but what i am trying to find out would be be ugly and look like i just took a can of paint and sprayed the slide
or would actualy give me a professional look on it assuming that i can AB
Moly resin gives a very professional finish and is very easy to apply with the proper prep. Robar uses Molyresin as one of their finishes and several gun manufactures use it. They also refinish military weapons with it and SOCOM as well uses it. Use a cheap air brush and if you have any problems, PM me and Ill give you my number.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
For what it's worth, I hate Kydex. It scratches your firearm immediately, as opposed to the honest wear given from a good leather holster. I'd much rather "earn" the wear rather than immediately ruin my pistol's finish, but that's just me.
I use plastic holsters for plastic guns, leather for metal. So far so good.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't oil your holster. It will cause the leather to stretch. Instead, use silicone spray. This will seal the pores of the leather, lessening the "thirsty" effect, and will allow for a smoother draw, decreasing the friction and wear factor.

As for the slide, soak it in a heavy coat of CLP for a day or two. Stick it in a ziploc bag with a liberal amount of CLP, so that it has nowhere to evaporate to. That ought to do it. When SIG's Nitron finish first came out, people were skeptical. It has proven to be a tough finish that is extremely corrosion resistant. It does have a different color to it. it is more of a gray finish rather than a jet black, and I've found that this becomes more apparent with age.

yea cool!!!
what does soaking the slide with clp do?
but thanks for the info!
yea i hate my kydex holster... but that was i use to practice draw and yes it does sractch it
i mean i was like, no way in hell plastic is dense enough to attack metal... guess again i guess its attacking the finish not the metal... duh... lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts