Springfield XD Forum banner

Help sight problems - not the usual ones

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  xcpd69 
#1 ·
I did a sight change!
I went wild after lurking for a long time. I polished part of my barrel, the part exposed thru the slide and I did a sight change. I bought a sight pusher from modelandtool.com and it worked beautifully. I put in the powder river springs and the kit that reduces travel from daniel bachelor. My 9mm tactical is now a red hot Ispc gun and I have a match this week end. I am so excited I could spit. The gun shoots great! It is now a match with my .45acp service and all the work done on it was by someone else. I did this myself and it feels great. Well I went to the range and it does not feel great any more - gun shot high. :confused: Is it because it is a tactical with a longer sight picture? I have a call into truglo but no one is around now with the holidays. As an emergency fix I have my tritium nite site on the rear and it is shooting better but a tad low.:(

See less See more
#4 ·
Speaking of sights, there was a thread a couple of days ago that had some great tips and details on how to use the sights properly. Being somewhat of a handgun newb, I would like to find it. I have searched without any luck. Anyone remember that thread?...I thought it was a sticky.

#6 ·
Off the paper at 50 feet is way too high for 100.00 sights. I have them on my .45 and they are normal 6 o'clock aim but they are way too high on the tactical.
Did you measure the sight height to see if they are they same? I've installed and tested a lot of these and they are a inches high, but not off the target.

#7 ·
There appear the same height - at 7 yards at sixoclock they are 2 inches high - when I moved out to fifty feet I hit the clip that holds the target on the first shot - I reeled it back in and reset and if I held it at 6 oclock it was 8"s high. I was bench rest shooting and had a solid group.

#10 ·
This sounds a lot like what I calculated for the SC, only reverse. If your sight distance is longer than what the sights were designed for (5" instead or 4") then they will high (or low depending on aactual sight height difference from stock). Measure with a caliper and compare to stock.

#13 ·
#15 · (Edited)
This is something that has held me back from putting night sights on MY XD Tactical. All anyone says is Sig sights fit.

Well...Sig makes a bunch of different sight heights, both front and rear. Sig does NOT put identical height sights on all models and calibers, so someone explain to me how ONE set of XD sights will work on ALL XDs.

The whole reason that Sig makes all those sights, is to be capable of regulating POA/POI on INDIVIDUAL guns. The same reason that adjustable sights exist. (By the way, S&W makes different rear sight blades for different calibers AND barrel lengths. MAYBE they know something?)

Until I see a chart worked up stating WHICH Sig sight numbers are the starting point on EACH model of XD, or someone starts manufacturing night sights for SPECIFIC XD MODELS, I'll pass.

One size does NOT fit all. That's a FACT. If you got lucky and your nightsights are regulated POA/POI, either 6 o'clock or center hold, great. BUT the buddy with a different gun just might not be so lucky.

JMHO as an amatuer, and YMMV, as they say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.