Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here it is, I bought the pt night sights and i was thinking about installing them myself. Well i didnt think it would be that hard so I started removing them. They did not want to come out, i put the slide in the freezer, that didnt work. I put the slide in the oven, that didnt work. well finally since my slide and sights were already F'ed up, I got them out. I am planning on getting my whole gun refinished by robar with their NP3 finish. but now my slide has alot of dings and the dovetails are are a lil messed up. can I file everything smooth and then get it refinished and everything will be ok, or am i screwed. and another problem. the rear sight is stuck a lil more than half way and no one in town has a sight pusher. how do i go about getting it in all the way? when you get a gun refinished do they take out the sights? please, Im so mad at myself right now, i could punch myself. but im already committed and need to finish. Any info please. and if anyone on here lives in tucson and owns a sight pusher, please pm me. And ps, I know im an idiot so please dont be a-holes about this, I just need some help now.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I would send the slide and sights to Robar and let them fix it for you. They can take care of the damage (make sure you tell them to fix it) and install the sight. They have to remove the sights and guts when they refinish the slide.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know how much all that would cost? Fix slide, install sights, refinish?

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Man I wish I was local to you, In all honesty you probably broke at least one of the vials in your rear sight. The more you pound on tritium sights the more you torque them and can break the vials. When I refinish slides I remove all sights, some re finishers don't especially with the xd`s, You asked about now taking a file and trying to clean up. I always tell all of my customers get someone who knows what they are doing. The proper way to get the sights in is to use a file and fit the sights to your dove tail. And as soon as you get frustrated walk away, come back when your calm anger makes you do things you will regret.

The best advice I can give you right now in your situation and having removed/installed more sights on xd`s then just about anyone else in the country. Step away and go to a smith, have him polish you slide as best as possible to reveal the damage. Tap the dovetails on the slide back down, since you have raised the edges. Then maybe if the gouges are not to deep just polishing may get rid of them and your gong to refinish any way so the re finisher will blast the slide then cover everything up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Uh...in that last pic, are those horse legs in the background? Sorry, it just caught me a bit off guard.
In regards to the dilema, just send it to James. Fairly inexpensive, excellent workmanship, and if it is within the scope of what he does, he'll do a great job. All of my guns are going there from now on for refinishing.
With respect to trying it on ones own, I'm guilty as well, so don't feel bad. I put mine through a dishwasher to degrease it prior to doing some work on it, and those smarter than I will know the results of such a stupid idea. I figured out that its cheaper for me to send it to someone who knows what they are doing,.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
General information for everyone....

Lastnight while driving around, I had a great idea, or so I think. When you want to remove the sights, heat the slide up in the overn to a couple of hundred degrees and then use some of that Compound W wart freeze off stuff and spray it on the sight only. The dovetail should be expanded from the heat and then the cold will shrink your sight...just an idea.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ichy_trigger said:

Lastnight while driving around, I had a great idea, or so I think. When you want to remove the sights, heat the slide up in the overn to a couple of hundred degrees and then use some of that Compound W wart freeze off stuff and spray it on the sight only. The dovetail should be expanded from the heat and then the cold will shrink your sight...just an idea.
wouldn't you want the slide to shrink and the sigths to shrink, if you expand the slide and shrink the sight you still may not be better off.

Though that wart stuff is really cold (i lost some feeling in the skin of my arm, but i sure as hell got rid of the wart.) I do not know if i would want to put that on metal because of the stress (might weaken over time), but it could work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah, I use that Compound W freeze to remove my AK's (skin keritosis) off my arms. Works great--just gotta "grin and bear it" for the pain for abit, but alot better paying my doc $250 per visit, when I can do it for $25.
Next spring, I am going to go for some new sights, as I have a time seeing that little dot up front. What recommendations that isnt going to cost me an arm or leg??
john

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
cubicle said:
ichy_trigger said:

wouldn't you want the slide to shrink and the sigths to shrink, if you expand the slide and shrink the sight you still may not be better off.

Though that wart stuff is really cold (i lost some feeling in the skin of my arm, but i sure as hell got rid of the wart.) I do not know if i would want to put that on metal because of the stress (might weaken over time), but it could work.
You want the slide to expand (dovetail) and the sight to shrink. No it will not weaken the metal at all.

·
Registered
181 Posts
See it as a ring and a stick. Your sight is the stick that has the same diameter as the hole in the ring, and the ring is the dovetail in your slide. If you make the stick colder, it will shrink, and go in the ring easier. If you freeze the ring, it will shrink, and the hole in the center will become smaller, thus making the stick insertion harder. Heat up the ring, and it will expand, making the hole bigger, and freeze the stick to make it smaller. Put the slide in the oven at 200-250, and the sight in the freezer for 1 hour+.

Alex.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts