Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. Considering picking up my first 1911.

I currently shoot a Sig p220 45acp, Ruger GP100 .357, XDm 45acp, G26 9mm and Keltec PF9. The final 3 are my typical carry weapons.

I don't see myself carrying the 1911 very often, as I enjoy the ruggedness and capacity of the Glock and XDm. I also don't mind wear and tear on them as much as I would on a more expensive 1911.

So, where do I start? I've shot Kimber's, and liked them, but ideally I'd like something a bit more unique. I've also eyed and held a bobtail Dan Wesson that was pretty dang nice.

Does the extra price of some of the high-end 1911s get one that much more than some moderately priced units. Comparing something like a SA, and Kimber to a Dan Wesson, and even all the way up to a Wilson or Les Baer?

All of my other handgun purchases have been a 'get the job done' kind of firearm. I've splurged a bit more on rifles and shotguns for hunting. So I'm completely new to anything in the high-end handgun arena. What are must haves, nice to haves, and anything else that I may consider?

I like the look and feel of the bobtail, but not 100% necessary. What are models that I should take a look at?

Of course any opinions, experiences, track-records and service/repair experiences are welcome!

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Well, what's your price range? Let's go from there.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm also looking for a 1911 soon, but most of them are too expensive for my limited budget :cry:.

I've been seriously considering the new Ruger SR1911. I've always loved Ruger guns, and can't help but think they would make a killer 1911. Plus, the price is within my range :razz:!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were to buy right now, $2500, if I want to wait a month or two, $5000. Got to save up a bit, so the wife isn't mad about a 5k depletion from the bank account. :razz:

Though I don't NEED to spend all of that on a 1911 if I don't feel I want/need some of the extra I get from the higher end. Hell, If I can spend 1k-1500 and be happy, that would just leave more for ammo/holsters or even addtl guns.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Kimber and Wilson parts are made by the same company.
Wilson charges more, but does more hand finishing.

Kimbers are usually already tricked out the way you'd like them. More choice between .38 - 9mm - .45ACP. That's the niche they fill. Same parts, different company putting them together.

Rock Island is a great starter 1911 so you get used to the platform and what you're really looking for.

Recommend a tactical model to get the basics already on it though such as beavertail and better sights.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
In the 2500 dollar range, I'd look at Wilson, Nighthawk and maybe Les Baer.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
In the 2500 dollar range, I'd look at Wilson, Nighthawk and maybe Les Baer.

- brickboy240
+1 I'd definitely be checking out Wilson combat and Nighthawk Custom as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Since you dont have much experience with 1911s, its hard to recommend something that youre guaranteed to like. You can spend 5k on a pistol that I love and you may absolutely hate it. But spend 1k on a gun you absolutely love. You should try and get out and shoot a few different 1911s with different specs and see what works for you.

You can start with a base model and then as you find what you need upgrade it as desired. If you just want to go all out at the start check out:
Wilson, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Springfield

Springfield Professional model has over a year wait but is an amazing weapon worth the wait. Since your looking for your first 1911, look at the Springfield TRP. A wonderful pistol, very accurate, and the feel is similar to the Professional.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Since you dont have much experience with 1911s, its hard to recommend something that youre guaranteed to like. You can spend 5k on a pistol that I love and you may absolutely hate it. But spend 1k on a gun you absolutely love. You should try and get out and shoot a few different 1911s with different specs and see what works for you.

You can start with a base model and then as you find what you need upgrade it as desired. If you just want to go all out at the start check out:
Wilson, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Springfield

Springfield Professional model has over a year wait but is an amazing weapon worth the wait. Since your looking for your first 1911, look at the Springfield TRP. A wonderful pistol, very accurate, and the feel is similar to the Professional.
+1 on this. You need to handle a few. But if you are wanting to get something good to very good out of the gate, and, at a reasonable entry fee for the quality level, I have to vote Springfield TRP or Dan Wesson. I think the Dan Wessons are a great value. May I suggest you search some of the 1911 forums and check out the reviews and comments.

Good luck. Let us know what you find. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the opinions.

Most of what I have liked has been in the 1200-2000 range.

Really eyeing the Dan Wesson V-BOB.

After handling the Dan Wesson, SA TRP and a Wilson (druel) and some cheaper variants like the Rock Island, ATI and the Colt GI I can definitely see the value in a higher end 1911.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That kind of money will get a very nice high end 1911 Wilson, Baer etc. Cylinder & Slide has some very nice ones for sale on their site (Trident). They put together a very nice hand gun that if taken care of, your grand kids will be shooting.

Or $1250 or so for a pistol (SA TRP, DW Heritage, or?) and $1250 for ammo and a top flight defensive pistol class there are many. The good ones will teach you far more than you can hope for and are worth every cent and then some.

Another option is taking the build your own pistol class offered by C&S. For about $2500 you end up with a $1800 dollar pistol and knowledge that will last a life time. The one I built at the class is a reliable tack driver that means a great deal to me.

Just some ideas for you to ponder.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Where did you get that? Not an accurate statement.
Follow the links, don't read just one.

Check other sites.

The history is unique.

Kimber Manufacturing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and,

Jerico needed two things: a market and somebody who knew about 1911's.
The help they found turned out to be businessman Leslie Edelman, owner of a major firearms and accessory wholesale
company called Nationwide Sports, and Chip McCormick who knows something about 1911s. At the time, Edelman was a minority shareholder of Kimber Of America and his plan was to connect Jerico's manufacturing capability with Kimber's established dealer network.
The project began in the winter of 1994 and the prototypes of the "Kimber" pistol were shown at the 1995 SHOT Show.
Controversy swirled around the sample at the show, which were in fact made by Caspian Arms with the serial number and
manufacturer's identity hidden under the grip panels.
Then in late 1996 Edelman purchased Jerico and changed the name to Kimber Manufacturing. In April, 1997, Edelman closed Kimber's riflemaking facility in Oregon and moved the entire operation to Yonkers.
That's the history of how the Kimber 1911 came to be...

~ American Handgunner Sept/Oct 1997

But then, I also believe what I see. What I can touch.
There's always 3 sides to a story...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I have an NRA Master Training Counselor (their top tier), POST instructor, Ranger Captain, etc, etc that I work with. He has wonderful classes, have taken several, and will continue.

Not saying I NEED to spend $5k, just that I was willing if what I really wanted cost that much. Hell, my "holster for every possible situation" fetish always keeps some green flowing away from my account, so extra cash is never bad. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not saying I NEED to spend $5k, just that I was willing if what I really wanted cost that much. Hell, my "holster for every possible situation" fetish always keeps some green flowing away from my account, so extra cash is never bad. :)
You are 100% correct on the holsters, I have way more than I need but not near as many as I want.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Follow the links, don't read just one.

Check other sites.

The history is unique.

Kimber Manufacturing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and,

Jerico needed two things: a market and somebody who knew about 1911's.
The help they found turned out to be businessman Leslie Edelman, owner of a major firearms and accessory wholesale
company called Nationwide Sports, and Chip McCormick who knows something about 1911s. At the time, Edelman was a minority shareholder of Kimber Of America and his plan was to connect Jerico's manufacturing capability with Kimber's established dealer network.
The project began in the winter of 1994 and the prototypes of the "Kimber" pistol were shown at the 1995 SHOT Show.
Controversy swirled around the sample at the show, which were in fact made by Caspian Arms with the serial number and
manufacturer's identity hidden under the grip panels.
Then in late 1996 Edelman purchased Jerico and changed the name to Kimber Manufacturing. In April, 1997, Edelman closed Kimber's riflemaking facility in Oregon and moved the entire operation to Yonkers.
That's the history of how the Kimber 1911 came to be...

~ American Handgunner Sept/Oct 1997

But then, I also believe what I see. What I can touch.
There's always 3 sides to a story...

Historically there was a lot of that. I've heard that at one time Ruger did Kimber, S&W did someone else, Colt, etc but most of that has changed over the years. I believe the Kimber - WC relationship stopped in the late 90s. Posed the question to Wilson and here is the response.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=259822

"Over a decade ago we used the same vendor as Kimber for slides and frames. In the last decade we have worked towards the building of our own slides and frames to our specifications and have been for much of that time. If you compare a slide or frame on a current gun with an older one there are multiple obvious differences. Our slides and frames are made from American forgings right here in Arkansas."

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yup, I was reading about their court battle and advertising battles. The advertising battles were kinda cool for the consumer.
I tried to find a link to one but they seem to have been pulled.

Truth in advertising... hmmm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts